Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery winners and Hip-Hop lifestyle...

Topic closed. 31 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Bagent.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #54390
August 17, 2007
313 Posts
Posted: July 6, 2009, 3:08 pm - IP Logged

This acquaintance of mine won $1,000,000 on a scratcher in Detroit area.  Before he won the lottery, he was a Christian man; very quiet and polite.   AFter taxes, he got like $700,000 or something(from my calculations).  Instead of hiring a financial advisor, he goes on a spending spree.  He bought a $220,000 Ferrari, a Range Rover with 25 inch rims, BMW 7 series with rims for his sister and a Jaguar with rims for his Dad.  Instead of buying a new house, he is staying in the same apartment with no garages.  He bought tons of expensive hip hop clothing and jewelry.  Yesterday I was shocked to see that he wasn't with his wife anymore and he now has a gorgeous Caucasian lady.

Today I finally got to talk to him(which he told me what he bought) and he was being very rude, loud, obnoxious.  I interrupted him once on a sentence and he outbursted in anger.

it's amazing how money can make people 2-faced.  Rumors are is that he's broke.

florida
    United States
    Member #76332
    June 24, 2009
    21 Posts
    Posted: July 6, 2009, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

Is this real or some made up fairy tale of yours?

never take advise from someone unless you are willing to live their lifestyle

United States
      Member #58528
      February 18, 2008
      710 Posts
      Posted: July 6, 2009, 3:56 pm - IP Logged

This acquaintance of mine won $1,000,000 on a scratcher in Detroit area.  Before he won the lottery, he was a Christian man; very quiet and polite.   AFter taxes, he got like $700,000 or something(from my calculations).  Instead of hiring a financial advisor, he goes on a spending spree.  He bought a $220,000 Ferrari, a Range Rover with 25 inch rims, BMW 7 series with rims for his sister and a Jaguar with rims for his Dad.  Instead of buying a new house, he is staying in the same apartment with no garages.  He bought tons of expensive hip hop clothing and jewelry.  Yesterday I was shocked to see that he wasn't with his wife anymore and he now has a gorgeous Caucasian lady.

Today I finally got to talk to him(which he told me what he bought) and he was being very rude, loud, obnoxious.  I interrupted him once on a sentence and he outbursted in anger.

it's amazing how money can make people 2-faced.  Rumors are is that he's broke.

Well,it was HIS money to save,spend or piss away.None of us have the right to tell someone else how to spend their money.We can learn from his behavior,though.

United States
        Member #54390
        August 17, 2007
        313 Posts
        Posted: July 6, 2009, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

Is this real or some made up fairy tale of yours?

Real life.  Why would I post a fairytale?

United States
          Member #54390
          August 17, 2007
          313 Posts
          Posted: July 6, 2009, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

Well,it was HIS money to save,spend or piss away.None of us have the right to tell someone else how to spend their money.We can learn from his behavior,though.

Well.. that's the whole point of me posting it.

United States
            Member #58528
            February 18, 2008
            710 Posts
            Posted: July 6, 2009, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Well.. that's the whole point of me posting it.

My apologys.I'm so used to people complaining about how winners spend their winnings that I thought you were doing the same.

United States
              Member #26330
              November 16, 2005
              330 Posts
              Posted: July 6, 2009, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

With 700 grand after taxes you could have a nice nest egg.  However infuriating it may be too watch someone spend money in what you consider a foolish manner it's there money in the end.  Maybe they feel like the Gov't is going to take my money the world is going to hell I might as well enjoy the money while I can.  Maybe they thought they should buy a gas guzzling BMW or Range Rover while they are still legal..Before we are all legally mandated to buy stupid gas saving Golf Cart cars...We don't know his situation so it's hard to say.   

But just curious how is this person beeing two faced?  Did they preach alot about not changing if they came into money?  Not trying to be racial or anything but why is it "Wrong" to like BMW's or Range Rovers...and gorgeous Caucasian women??   I personally plan to have a Huge Hummer and a hot Blonde on each arm when I win!  LOL.   Is that Hip Hop?   Or is it that you don't want a person to portray a sterotype of a hip hop thug??  I can understand that.   I hate it when a "red neck" southerner wins the lotto and blows it all on cheap strippers and booze....Jack Whittacker..David Edwards...Ect...  But they won they made there choices and they have to live with them.  Not much I can do but learn from there mistakes....Except I probably sadly wouldn't except to avoid the media.    I like hot women flashy cars and fine booze......Sadly I would likely induldge these intrests maybe to my own detrement....But I would have a heck of a fun time doing it!!!!

chattanoogadog's avatar - disney28
                chattanooga
                United States
                Member #57215
                December 22, 2007
                225 Posts
                Posted: July 6, 2009, 4:58 pm - IP Logged

Money= Change in time and people, Give a man a fish and he eats for a day!!!, Teach that same man to fish and he eats for a lifetime.... Same goes for money... I just hope he is happy with his stuff...

I found this kinda strange at a local church the car had a bumper sticker "Play GODS LOTTO, if you are good and your number is up you win!!!!"Big Grin Angel

four4me's avatar - gate1
                  MD
                  United States
                  Member #1701
                  June 18, 2003
                  8360 Posts
                  Posted: July 6, 2009, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

If you cant handle money before you win the lottery then most likely you won't be able to handle money when you win the lottery.

Money does strange things to people whom never had it. It's like kind of a high people get lost in themselves.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                    ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                    Chicago
                    United States
                    Member #70678
                    February 8, 2009
                    889 Posts
                    Posted: July 6, 2009, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

That's sad! And he probably is broke!

United States
                      Member #24439
                      October 22, 2005
                      638 Posts
                      Posted: July 6, 2009, 7:20 pm - IP Logged

I think more power to him. If anyone was fortunate enough to reach the promised land I am sure the would do the same.

I know people who are broke who spend beyond their means.

I would do the same, the ferrari was a good touch. It would get the chicks. At least he is happy.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                        Chicago
                        United States
                        Member #70678
                        February 8, 2009
                        889 Posts
                        Posted: July 6, 2009, 7:40 pm - IP Logged

I think more power to him. If anyone was fortunate enough to reach the promised land I am sure the would do the same.

I know people who are broke who spend beyond their means.

I would do the same, the ferrari was a good touch. It would get the chicks. At least he is happy.

HAHAHA let's see how long he stays happy.....and if you need a ferrari to get the chicks LOL those aren't the kind of chicks you really want.

United States
                          Member #75358
                          June 1, 2009
                          5345 Posts
                          Posted: July 6, 2009, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

It's incredible to me. In times like this how can someone go on a spending spree such as this? Some folks will never get the true value of the dollar.

Sorry, but for the folks here who responded by saying it's his money and he can do as he wishes seems to me, like they would also waste the rare opportunity given to them , and potentially save their rear ends when the whole economy collapses. It will happen, but when, is the question.

I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't blow at least a hundred grand right away, but the remaining 6 would be kept with frugality in mind.

Four4me said it eloquently. If you are unwise with money before you hit, you'll be just as wasteful after.

In the past couple of years I was rather lucky to have enough horse sense to put a few grand away just for emergencies. This was done way before the financial crisis and loss of jobs.  I must've known something was coming down the river. I don't mean to boast but I feel it's a good lesson to be learned. One of my best friends living in Arizona recently lost his job, and now I found out his wife left him because of his loss.

He is still unemployed and that's just one of many lessons to be taken seriously, especially if you come into a lot of money. Post Reply

GamerMom's avatar - tails

United States
                            Member #60535
                            April 21, 2008
                            460 Posts
                            Posted: July 6, 2009, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

Yes it is his $$$ to spend as he wishes but it sickens me.  I can't even really afford to buy my son a new bed but somebody like this wins a million and wastes it on crap, IMO.  I've been playing for years and can't win more than $100 *sigh*

United States
                              Member #75060
                              May 26, 2009
                              300 Posts
                              Posted: July 6, 2009, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

I believe four4me said it right. If you can't handle money before you come into lots of it then, you're certain to become broke very soon. I personally witnessed a guy from the little town of Brookshire, Texas win the Cash 5...all by himself. He went out and purchased "several" nice cars, lots of jewelry, fancy "hip-hop" type clothing, and furnished all of his "new" girlfriends with new furniture and appliances for their places.

Now, he did purchase his mom and dad vehicles also but, he's flat broke right now today as I'm posting this reply. He has no house, land, none of the cars he bought, jewelry, or anything. This was an intense example for me of what I never wanted to happen.

He talked very badly to people while he was doing so well and now he's as gentle as a church mouse. That was a once in a lifetime chance which he blew on everything which was nothing. This is the epitome of what four4me described. Gotta have a good business mind when dealing with any sum of money because it will definitely carry over whether you have a lot or just enough to get by.

Be very careful how you treat those you see when going up the ladder...you'll see them again when and if you fall down and they just might be able to save you. Just my 0.02 cents.