Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

US Run Lottery

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 8 years ago by gy65.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

Would you support the idea?

Yes [ 11 ]  [45.83%]
no [ 11 ]  [45.83%]
maybe [ 2 ]  [8.33%]
Total Valid Votes [ 24 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
chattanoogadog's avatar - disney28
chattanooga
United States
Member #57215
December 22, 2007
225 Posts
Posted: July 6, 2009, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

If the US Govt was to install a Nation wide (Yes states with no lotto incuded) would you support it?

Now keep an open mind here, this is just for fun.  If the US could run a program like Powerball or MegaMillions.  What would they call it PowerMillions?  Sourball?  Foulball, wasteful-Millions? 

Probably not many would play a game like that, but just for a second, what IF it could help the US out?  Say put money in our Elders Social Security Program, or a similar program.  Maybe cut our taxes to almost zero.  Have a weekly drawing with 50 numbers with a megaplier of 25 numbers, starting a jackpot of say $20 mil....  and have a program in place to where you can cash your winnings no matter the size in ANY state, instead of the state you purchased it from?

I can see it now, the O'bama Millions live from the Oval Office....Who knows...

My other thought on this was, if it was N(ever) to work, I would say lets take a tax for the US say around 20% Sales tax.  Fire all the IRS People, and have a one place where sales tax is collected and distributed.  This way we could get rid of tax time, (1040's, 1040-ez ect.) and EVERYONE: Tourist, Visitor, family, Friend is going to pay it.....  Hum maybe, whats your thought?Boxing

I found this kinda strange at a local church the car had a bumper sticker "Play GODS LOTTO, if you are good and your number is up you win!!!!"Big Grin Angel

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
    West Side of Sunny Florida
    United States
    Member #55048
    September 8, 2007
    3371 Posts
    Posted: July 6, 2009, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

I think the 'new' stimulus package will have that in it!!! Thumbs Up

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

United States
      Member #75358
      June 1, 2009
      5345 Posts
      Posted: July 6, 2009, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

Why not, politicians run all the other lotteries, why should I stop here?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10392 Posts
        Posted: July 6, 2009, 11:50 pm - IP Logged

If you read up on the history of Powerball it was intended to be Lotto USA.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23349 Posts
          Posted: July 7, 2009, 1:18 am - IP Logged

If you read up on the history of Powerball it was intended to be Lotto USA.

Powerball was previously named Lotto America.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23349 Posts
            Posted: July 7, 2009, 1:21 am - IP Logged

I voted "no" because based on the way things are currently being run in Washington, lottery winners would be considered "selfish" if they did not give back their jackpot and spread it out to everyone else.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Honduras
              Member #20982
              August 29, 2005
              4715 Posts
              Posted: July 7, 2009, 1:28 am - IP Logged

whatever they do they got to keep it free of tax...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                A long and winding road
                United States
                Member #17084
                June 10, 2005
                4580 Posts
                Posted: July 7, 2009, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

I voted "no" because based on the way things are currently being run in Washington, lottery winners would be considered "selfish" if they did not give back their jackpot and spread it out to everyone else.

As they say, truth is stranger then fiction and you said it best Todd!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

Bondi Junction
                  Australia
                  Member #57242
                  December 24, 2007
                  1102 Posts
                  Posted: July 10, 2009, 6:04 am - IP Logged

The State Department runs a Green Card Lottery every year and million of people from all over the world enter; this proves that a US lottery would be successful.

If the State Department had a $100 entry fee to enter the Green Card Lottery, it would raise hundreds of million of dollars.

United States
                    Member #58528
                    February 18, 2008
                    710 Posts
                    Posted: July 10, 2009, 11:19 am - IP Logged

The State Department runs a Green Card Lottery every year and million of people from all over the world enter; this proves that a US lottery would be successful.

If the State Department had a $100 entry fee to enter the Green Card Lottery, it would raise hundreds of million of dollars.

The govenment also lets millions enter the U.S. illegaly every year.This proves,at least in my eyes, that government can't run anything successfully.

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3501 Posts
                      Posted: July 10, 2009, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

If they can't run anything successfully, why do we have so many immigrants, legal or not?

Bondi Junction
                        Australia
                        Member #57242
                        December 24, 2007
                        1102 Posts
                        Posted: July 12, 2009, 6:37 am - IP Logged

The UK Treasury issues bonds, called Premium Bonds, which is a type of a lottery. The UK government pays interest on the bond. But instead of the interest being paid into individual accounts, it is paid into a prize fund from which a monthly lottery distributes tax-free prizes, or premiums, to selected bond-holders whose numbers come up.

The machine that generates random numbers for the lottery is called ERNIE, which stands for Electronic Random Number Indicator. Bond holders can cash in their bonds at any time, by post or at a post office. Millions of British people hold Premium Bonds worth billions of pounds

The US Treasury could raise billions of dollars with such bonds. I would like to suggest they be called Ameribonds.

swampfox's avatar - animal041
                          SC Low Country
                          United States
                          Member #75803
                          June 12, 2009
                          925 Posts
                          Posted: July 12, 2009, 7:08 am - IP Logged

Todd's right.  All winnings would end up being redistributed, and I'm sure the illegals would be second in line for the winnings, right behind the manipulative politicians.  Remember, it's not the right to property, but the pursuit of happiness.....and that, well, I'm not sure even a millionaire can afford the lawyers!  That's all I'll say 'cause Big Brother may accuse me of some "hate" crime.

"All men of power ought to be mistrusted." - James Madison

"While we are contending for our own liberty, we should be very cautious not to violate the rights of conscience in others, ever considering that God alone is the judge of the hearts of men, and to him only, in this case, they are answerable." - George Washington...  SwampFoxShocked Courage is looking danger in the face & saddling up anyway...John Wayne

United States
                            Member #34931
                            March 9, 2006
                            98 Posts
                            Posted: July 12, 2009, 12:03 pm - IP Logged

A tax-free federal lottery to fund NASA might have enough political support to get passed by congress.