Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ask for money

Topic closed. 15 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Dollar419.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Do you feel is right to ask lottery winners for some money?

Yes. [ 3 ]  [4.35%]
No. [ 66 ]  [95.65%]
Total Valid Votes [ 69 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  

United States
Member #24439
October 22, 2005
638 Posts
Posted: July 16, 2009, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

Do you think it is right for anonymous persons to ask a lottery winner for money?

I think of lottery as willful choice. You chose to play and you might win.

It is almost an agreement between everyone that you put your money in the pot, if I beat you, I take all your money.

Do you feel it is right for people you don't know to come an ask you for some money if you won a jackpot?

That is even if you receive a letter in the mail and somebody saying that their rent is due or their child is sick.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: July 17, 2009, 12:47 am - IP Logged

"Do you think it is right for anonymous persons to ask a lottery winner for money?"

No.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
      Clarksville
      United States
      Member #487
      July 15, 2002
      17638 Posts
      Posted: July 17, 2009, 1:38 am - IP Logged

No, most of those "my rent is due" or "my child is sick" already have places in place to help them.  No, don't start because then you make yourself a target for real. If you just have to  -make a legal donation to one of the organizations that help folks..besides they may be scamming the winner.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

konane's avatar - wallace
        Atlanta, GA
        United States
        Member #1265
        March 13, 2003
        3333 Posts
        Posted: July 17, 2009, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!

Good luck to everyone!

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
          A long and winding road
          United States
          Member #17084
          June 10, 2005
          4528 Posts
          Posted: July 25, 2009, 11:51 am - IP Logged

Its impolite yet I do understand desparate measures can lead a person to humble themselves and ask for a contribution.

One can ask, its up to person to repond, yes, no or maybe in another life.

A friend argued once that since they contributed to the jackpot amount it wasnt unhurd of to ask the winner for some monies.

My response: And its not unhurd of for them to decline :)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10351 Posts
            Posted: July 26, 2009, 12:52 pm - IP Logged

No. A mooch is a mooch.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
              Member #47420
              November 4, 2006
              3930 Posts
              Posted: July 26, 2009, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

I gave money to a friend once and it was a lot..Have never seen it..Anyone can ask but the answer will be NOOOOO!!!!!..

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19828 Posts
                Posted: July 26, 2009, 6:46 pm - IP Logged

Some people will ask other people for money even if they have more than the people they're asking and follow with that famous lie "You know I wouldn't ask if I didn't really needed it".  These types of people will alway has a need for any money they can convince someone to give them.  Any one who want to hang on to their money should say "NO" in the most unpleasant way they can so that these beggars don't come back with "I'm willing to take anything you can afford" as if you're obligated to budget what you have so you can afford to give some of it to anyone who asks.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

LiLSpeedy's avatar - 2714
                  Decatur, GA
                  United States
                  Member #20471
                  August 18, 2005
                  2668 Posts
                  Posted: July 27, 2009, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

No No My answer to that is " I don't know you!

Winning is Funtastic!

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                    Chicago
                    United States
                    Member #70678
                    February 8, 2009
                    889 Posts
                    Posted: July 27, 2009, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

Some people will ask other people for money even if they have more than the people they're asking and follow with that famous lie "You know I wouldn't ask if I didn't really needed it".  These types of people will alway has a need for any money they can convince someone to give them.  Any one who want to hang on to their money should say "NO" in the most unpleasant way they can so that these beggars don't come back with "I'm willing to take anything you can afford" as if you're obligated to budget what you have so you can afford to give some of it to anyone who asks.

SO TRUE!

The day I win the lottery I would love to share the money.....but with people I choose for my own reasons.

PHILADELPHIA, PA
                      United States
                      Member #78600
                      August 17, 2009
                      3 Posts
                      Posted: August 19, 2009, 4:16 am - IP Logged

The answer is no.

The only requests for money i will entertaine will be my creditors, and bills that i pay monthly, bob

gonnawinwatchme's avatar - images
                        Wisconsin
                        United States
                        Member #58835
                        February 27, 2008
                        148 Posts
                        Posted: August 19, 2009, 11:29 am - IP Logged

In a short answer, No, I don't think it is right for a complete stranger to ask for money.  BUT, in today's economy, I do understand why someone would ask.  Again, desperate times--blah blah blah.

When we win, I don't even plan on telling my in-laws.  They are currently going through bankruptcy, which is ironic because we went through it last year and got the disapproving remarks made about us when we went through it.  I know they'd be here in a second for a handout, so it's always been our plan to not tell them. 

I would tell my parents and help them out anyway I could.  They have always been here for us to help us out, so I would love to be able to pay them back---10 fold! 

I would definitely donate a large sum to a children's charity, but that would be about it!

Monkey Butt, USA
                          United States
                          Member #54569
                          August 23, 2007
                          1124 Posts
                          Posted: August 19, 2009, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

I believe it is very presumptuous of people to expect to capitalize on your winfall. Relatives-friends-strangers it doesn't matter. It is very disrespectful.

No Pity!

When I win I will have no problem letting relatives-friends-strangers know that their sob story does not move me. I don't care if you are about to lose your home, I don't care if your kid is dying and needs a transplant, I don't care if your whole family is being put out on the street tomorrow. Why, not because I am a heartless S.O.B. but because someone actually had the nerve to expect me to bail them out of a situation that has nothing to do with me only with my money.

No Pity!

These same people would not spit on me if I was on fire and now they have the nerve to stand before me and expect me to hand over something I worked my butt off to obtain!! No way!! And yes I did work my butt off by spending all of MY time working the numbers until I won a jackpot!!

My intention is to do what I do now. I will wait until the spirit of God direct me to who HE wants me to help. So beggars beware. NO! NO! NO!

I feel your pain but I can't help ya.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                            Member #32537
                            February 12, 2006
                            698 Posts
                            Posted: August 19, 2009, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

i admit am in almust a hypocrite when i think of this question,

if this was a small jackpot, and they won, i would not even dare call them to congrats them

say a 200+ pb or mm thro

if my parents won, i be their with my puppy dog eyes  with no shame

if my cousins won/extended family, i call and congrats them,

hoping to god they offer a gift, i won't ask first thro LOL,

and no hard feelings if they didn't, plus to be turthful

now if i won, ever one in my family would get a big fat No,

hance why i said am such a hypocrite

i would however start a company be it in farming related or whatever

, and i have no issues with hiring "highly over paid workers" if you get my draft, but no free rides for them, i want something in return for my "kindness" ,am such a jerk LOL

and that only applyes to about 30% of my family, i cant stand some of the people"to many old people" in my family, why everyone  my age or younger i can stand to be around

and to anyone who not blood related,god help their souls, sense i wont,  i be ruthless about it

their be penny sent in the mail to their mail replys, saying to the effect

, its such a shame you cant pay your rent, and your dieing

here a peny, hope it helps :D

or better, load a walmart card that 50 or 100 bucks, , spend 99% of it before sending them it, so all thats left is like a few cents

they load up their cart thinking they got 100 bucks, then BAM its only worth a few cents, LMAO

i can have fun with things you know, being a evil ruthless person

or i could say am giving money to my fav  charity,  guns to fight back charity!

if i don't like crime in my area, just offer to buy over 1000 hand guns,  and hand them out,

i want any crime person to know  this is not a safe area for them, try a few blocks over

hell i just offer to give everyone i know in real life guns at that point,  i want to send a msg to the govt and people who do crime, , we are armed and will not put up with your carp

besides that, a charity farm setup maybe

, buy land, build a green house for everyone else in the area to use, and let people have their own shared  green house for the block

each getting a growing area year round for fresh food they plant,   or what i call, you want something free, fine, just take care of the plants in the green house and you be rewarded LOL!

,   i don't ever give out free stuff for none thing onless am in love with you duh LOL

, their must be some indirect helping of my self or making them work for it even a little bit

take say this 1 friend i play a ton of video games with for years,   i would buy hi9m a major over 5k pc hardware setup, long it with ever fps,rts game i can find, that way  hes get ms kickass gifdt, and i get a gaming patner in all the fops rts games out their, lol

New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #78919
                              August 24, 2009
                              46 Posts
                              Posted: August 24, 2009, 2:46 pm - IP Logged

My personal feeling, I already know I'm not going to give money directly to strangers in need. I would no doubt give money to charities (and even then, it's not going to be much...just enough where I'd enjoy a tax benefit. Probably give a few bucks to my fraternity's education fund, since that's a charity. Pay my sister's mortgage off (she doesn't even have to ask...that's what and how we do things in my family) under the strict condition (contract) that she does not use her paid off house to finance a cash out option (unless she's getting a investment property or something...even then, she'd have to clear it with me...it would be in my contract. I am all for her living in a house free and clear so she can use the money to properly care for her daughter, but not when she wants to get back into debt for her to look at me again. I will do it once, but not twice). My parents live in a paid off house, and if they needed a hook up, that's also no questions asked. They would probably want flat screen TV and some decorative items. If I had to spend a certain amount, I would make sure there is some security system in place. Their neighbors are good people, but I don't trust anyone if they found out they're living next to a millionaire's parents. Which is why I considered getting a compound and having all of us live there in seperate houses. LOL. I love my family, but not enough to deal with them under one roof. But at least a 1/4 mile away.

Bottom line though is I would take care of my needs before I took care of anyone else's and after I see how much I would need to spend, I would definitely make sure that my money would last me for several generations. Woe to the stranger who asks me for a handout or even a reputable organization unsolicited. LOL.