Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:09 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Dragonfly Swarm

Topic closed. 2 replies. Last post 7 years ago by skittles777.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Jake's avatar - animal bird.jpg

United States
Member #2217
September 1, 2003
985 Posts
Posted: July 18, 2009, 9:39 am - IP Logged

I finally encountered my first DF swarm last evening right at dusk.  They circled getting closer and closer as if checking out the human form and deciding if we were worthy of a visit.

DF's swarm for different reasons, but I'm convinced right now it has to do with the mega mosquito population on the East Coast due to prolific mosquito-producing weather.  Most old  timers here will tell you they have never seen a skeeter outbreak like the one happening this summer.

To the rescue comes the DF - eater of all things mosquito (and even the occasional fly and bee, I'm told).  Some of those in my swarm were absolutely huge - and fat to boot, but since they eat several times their weight, not to be unexpected.

If you hold out your arm in the presence of the DF, it may land to check you out. DF's don't bite but their little legs are incredibly strong and the sensation is a little like digging in or scratching - not to fear, it's not a bite.  If a DF chooses to land on you, consider the moment quite special. 

I would not ask every one to like the DF, but at least consider appreciating it's assistance in keeping down the biting, blood-sucking, disease-carrying mosquito population.

I hope a dragonfly graces you today and brings incredible good fortune.  J

thedillyo's avatar - newbgf

Jamaica
    Member #75105
    May 27, 2009
    724 Posts
    Posted: July 18, 2009, 2:24 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for sharing Jake.

I need some good fortune  today.

skittles777's avatar - candle
      Douglasville
      United States
      Member #70105
      January 24, 2009
      1200 Posts
      Posted: July 18, 2009, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

I finally encountered my first DF swarm last evening right at dusk.  They circled getting closer and closer as if checking out the human form and deciding if we were worthy of a visit.

DF's swarm for different reasons, but I'm convinced right now it has to do with the mega mosquito population on the East Coast due to prolific mosquito-producing weather.  Most old  timers here will tell you they have never seen a skeeter outbreak like the one happening this summer.

To the rescue comes the DF - eater of all things mosquito (and even the occasional fly and bee, I'm told).  Some of those in my swarm were absolutely huge - and fat to boot, but since they eat several times their weight, not to be unexpected.

If you hold out your arm in the presence of the DF, it may land to check you out. DF's don't bite but their little legs are incredibly strong and the sensation is a little like digging in or scratching - not to fear, it's not a bite.  If a DF chooses to land on you, consider the moment quite special. 

I would not ask every one to like the DF, but at least consider appreciating it's assistance in keeping down the biting, blood-sucking, disease-carrying mosquito population.

I hope a dragonfly graces you today and brings incredible good fortune.  J

I had the most inncredible day at work today!  It seems that I had some extra senses or power in my observant technique.  I was actualy putting things together I should have pick up on two years earlier at work.  I did see a DF last night, crawling on the floor!  I never even new what a DF was until I encounter some information from you (J) on LP a few months ago!  It's amazing how such a small little creature can have a powerful impact on humans.

I appreciate your incredible senses of your surrounding!  Now, I understand when they say, "a mind is a terrible thing to waste."