Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should one pay for lottery history

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
pick4hawk's avatar - Trek HAND3.gif

United States
Member #19982
August 9, 2005
226 Posts
Posted: July 22, 2009, 1:10 pm - IP Logged

I was wondering how people feel about paying for lottery history in text or word files.

I mainly use the megamillions history only in the drawn order.  Ascending only occasionally.

Selling the information--I'm not sure is a good Idea. Perhaps getting it free with membership would be okay ---If you get the information in either way in a text or word files.

Hawk

pick4hawk's avatar - Trek HAND3.gif

United States
    Member #19982
    August 9, 2005
    226 Posts
    Posted: July 22, 2009, 1:56 pm - IP Logged

I have a Microsoft word file of most of all the mega millions games data. All the balls are in the order as they came out of the machine--not in the ascending order that they are on the tickets.

I use ascending file order only occasionally to determine one thing.

I prefer the order of the balls as they come out of the mega millions machine.

I do not believe the genuine mega millions site should charge any fee to get the information. Perhaps if LP included the word files either way---since there last matrix change, it would be okay to get it free every day with gold membership or whatever.

New Mexico
      United States
      Member #58526
      February 18, 2008
      683 Posts
      Posted: July 22, 2009, 2:08 pm - IP Logged

The Texas Lottery official website has all the megamillion results downloadable for free.

http://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/default/Games/Mega_Millions/Winning_Numbers/index.html_554942523.html

inittowin's avatar - 039ee315cfea4c12c8f5
        If you don't like it, spit it out!
        United States
        Member #4756
        May 23, 2004
        3433 Posts
        Posted: July 22, 2009, 2:21 pm - IP Logged

People pay for information every day!

Whether it is lottery data or anything else. If it saves someone time of looking it up themselves

and they feel that it is worth it to them to purchase that information, then they will.

Such as Mathew Lesko... all of his books contain free information from the U.S. government, he just packages it into one book.

Thankfully, Al Gore invented the information super highway for all of us!!!!!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19828 Posts
          Posted: July 22, 2009, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

Having someone else accumulate data that you want saves you time and time is money especially if it belongs to someone else.   Why not pay if you aren't willing to spend the time during it yourself?  There are companies that accumulate such data and sell it and most website owners and software producers who follow all state lotteries buy their services because they don't have time to do it themselves.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19828 Posts
            Posted: July 22, 2009, 2:42 pm - IP Logged

The Texas Lottery official website has all the megamillion results downloadable for free.

http://www.txlottery.org/export/sites/default/Games/Mega_Millions/Winning_Numbers/index.html_554942523.html

Yes but their data only goes back to 12/03/2003 when they joined and not to 05/17/2002 when
            MegaMillions was created from BigGame which started 09/06/1996.

Evil Looking       

CARBOB's avatar - FL LOTTERY_LOGO.png
              ORLANDO, FLORIDA
              United States
              Member #4924
              June 3, 2004
              5896 Posts
              Posted: July 22, 2009, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

I have a Microsoft word file of most of all the mega millions games data. All the balls are in the order as they came out of the machine--not in the ascending order that they are on the tickets.

I use ascending file order only occasionally to determine one thing.

I prefer the order of the balls as they come out of the mega millions machine.

I do not believe the genuine mega millions site should charge any fee to get the information. Perhaps if LP included the word files either way---since there last matrix change, it would be okay to get it free every day with gold membership or whatever.

Is your state in the Megamillions Lottery? If so, see if they list past draws. If not, call them and inquire about copies of past draws. You shouldn't have to pay anything, if your state is in the lottery, that's public information.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19828 Posts
                Posted: July 22, 2009, 3:01 pm - IP Logged

Is your state in the Megamillions Lottery? If so, see if they list past draws. If not, call them and inquire about copies of past draws. You shouldn't have to pay anything, if your state is in the lottery, that's public information.

Ohio is a MegaMillions state and it keeps data by game for only 180 days, the time that a ticket can be cashed in.  Some where on the site you can get a PDF file by year with information about all their games dumped together by day and if you want to separate the data by game for use in a lottery program or spread sheet, you are going to spend a lot of time during it.

Evil Looking       

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                  Zeta Reticuli Star System
                  United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10351 Posts
                  Posted: July 22, 2009, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

pick4hawk

...Selling the information--I'm not sure is a good Idea. Perhaps gettingit free with membership would be okay ---If you get the information ineither way in a text or word files.

I would think that anyone who is going to research that extensively would know how to find this information. Also, how valuable is information like this prior to any matrix change?

If someone was selling stats on roulette, and based it on a European game (one 0 on the wheel) and tried to sel it to Americans, would it apply to a game with 0 and 00 on the wheel?

I know people will pay money for other people to have researched things, but I'm really not so sure anyone who wants to go this "deep" would be one of them.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19828 Posts
                    Posted: July 22, 2009, 9:27 pm - IP Logged

If one doesn't mind doing a bit of copy and past then there's a complete history of PowerBall and MegaMillions drawings at MEGAUSA.

Evil Looking       

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                      Charlotte NC
                      United States
                      Member #17406
                      June 18, 2005
                      4053 Posts
                      Posted: July 22, 2009, 10:00 pm - IP Logged

Yes they should.  If u don't want to pay for it go gather it up yourself.

takeemtothebank

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                        Chief Bottle Washer
                        New Jersey
                        United States
                        Member #1
                        May 31, 2000
                        23267 Posts
                        Posted: July 22, 2009, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

If one doesn't mind doing a bit of copy and past then there's a complete history of PowerBall and MegaMillions drawings at MEGAUSA.

I think you mean USA Mega, right? Wink

Texas MadMan said all the history is available for Mega Millions on the Texas Web site, but technically that's not true.  It is only available since the time the game name was changed to Mega Millions. 

All of the official state lotteries with the Mega Millions results start the results at the point the name changed to the current name.  However, both USA Mega and Lottery Post have every drawing back from the true beginning of the game (Sept. 6, 1996).  It was called The Big Game at that time.

For getting the results from the state lotteries directly, you normally do not have to pay for results that they have readily available in electronic format (such as a text file).  However, you sometimes have to pay a minimal fee to get the results in printed form — which is sometimes the only way to get it.

However, going back to the original question of paying for results, this only partially answers the question.

The real question is not just about getting results for one individual state, but for getting results from multiple states.  That can be a lot of work, especially for results that are no longer publicly available from the state.  For example, for drawings that are in the 80s or earlier, they can sometimes be hard to come by.

The individual states obviously only provide results for games within their state, so it is a company or individual who went through the effort of compiling the results that you would be getting the results from.

On top of that, you need to ask yourself about the quality of the data you would get from the company or individual.  As someone who has a ton of experience dealing with past results data, I can tell you that if you are getting the data from someone who hand-keys the data, it will have errors.  I have gone through hundreds of games using data from a multitude of sources, and unequivocally, most of the data you can download or access on web sites has a lot of errors.

(I am talking about data from companies and individuals, not from the states themselves.)

There are some web sites that are absolutely atrocious when it comes to errors in the data.  I feel sad for the people who unwittingly use the data, thinking that the site is legitimate.  And I'm talking about some fairly popular web sites.

That is why several years ago I took two years and constructed my own proprietary lottery data feed for Lottery Post.  It drove me nuts that I had to put up with so many errors from my so-called professional lottery data feed.  I was spending a ton of time calling and writing about all the errors that needed correcting, to the point of ridiculousness.  And I was paying a lot of money out of my pocket for the data!  (Not to mention that I designed their XML data format for them.)

Now, errors do occur with any data service — and especially in lottery data because most lottery data is at some point hand-keyed by the state lottery.  All states make errors, so errors are unavoidable.  But one thing I can say confidently is that I have only seen errors in the Lottery Post data when the state lottery made the error, not by Lottery Post itself making an error.  Plus, the Lottery Post feed, unlike other data feeds out there, constantly monitors for corrections in the data, and self-corrects the database when it finds one.

There are still a few kinks that I'm ironing out in the old data in the LP database prior to the LP data feed coming online, but that is why I am currently undergoing a massive cleanup effort that will eventually result in all drawing results for every game being loaded accurately — back to the first drawing of every game.

Is that worth something?

I think so.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19828 Posts
                          Posted: July 23, 2009, 2:34 am - IP Logged

Sorry, I meant USA Mega.  A link is on the left side of this page.

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7311 Posts
                            Posted: July 23, 2009, 8:54 am - IP Logged

Ohio is a MegaMillions state and it keeps data by game for only 180 days, the time that a ticket can be cashed in.  Some where on the site you can get a PDF file by year with information about all their games dumped together by day and if you want to separate the data by game for use in a lottery program or spread sheet, you are going to spend a lot of time during it.

The Ohio Lottery website has the results of every online game going back to 1979 when the Pick-3 first started but it's a little tricky finding it. On the home page above the daily results click on "number search" and at the bottom of that screen click on "archives". When you select which year or years, it shows all the drawing results by date. And as you said because they are not separated in to games, it would take a very long time.

I was looking at the Ohio Lotto results from 1983 to 1987 and it was interesting how many multiple winners there where in some of the drawings; one drawing had 15 tickets matching all 6 numbers.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7311 Posts
                              Posted: July 23, 2009, 9:36 am - IP Logged

pick4hawk

...Selling the information--I'm not sure is a good Idea. Perhaps gettingit free with membership would be okay ---If you get the information ineither way in a text or word files.

I would think that anyone who is going to research that extensively would know how to find this information. Also, how valuable is information like this prior to any matrix change?

If someone was selling stats on roulette, and based it on a European game (one 0 on the wheel) and tried to sel it to Americans, would it apply to a game with 0 and 00 on the wheel?

I know people will pay money for other people to have researched things, but I'm really not so sure anyone who wants to go this "deep" would be one of them.

The data collected from tracking a roulette wheel history might be more useful than tracking Mega Millions or Powerball because it only takes 38 spins to complete one cycle. MM and PB would need 175 and 195 million drawings just to complete one cycle so under 500 drawings isn't much history. It would take 1.75 million drawings just to have 1% of the history.

"If someone was selling stats on roulette, and based it on the a European game (one 0 on the wheel) and tied to sel it to Americans, would it apply to a game with 0 an 00 on the wheel?"

If they didn't know there is no 00 on the wheel, everybody would be playing 00 because it was way overdue. Random on roulette wheels is similar to lottery drawings because when looking at a long term history, you would have to factor in the number of different dealers spinning the ball. Periodically the wheels are inspected and the ball is changed; they even have "test spins" too.

In pick-3 games with a possible 1000 outcomes even after 10,000 drawings, the history should reflect about the same probabilities of the 1000 outcomes without every looking at it. And unless all the drawing processes were exactly the same, the results wouldn't mean very much. It might show that doubles have been drawn less than the 27% probable times they should have been in 10,000, but that doesn't mean the next drawing is going to be a double or doubles will be drawn more than 27 times in the next 100 drawings either.

I suppose one could pay for the actual history of MM or PB or they could they could use the results of a RNG for the same number of drawings. Because of such a small history, I can see where the actual history would be beneficial.