Welcome Guest
You last visited December 11, 2016, 3:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How would you allow yourself to change if you won?

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 7 years ago by gonnawinwatchme.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Northern Ohio
United States
Member #63551
August 1, 2008
203 Posts
Posted: July 22, 2009, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

I think the best part of playing the lottery is allowing yourself to imagine how you would do things if you won the jackpot. So I got to thinking, why not post this question on here? I'll go first:

First, I would remain anonymous. For at least one year, I would not tell anyone, especially my parents, since we tend to argue over things often, especially over financial matters. For that year, I would *attempt* to remain at work, and I think I could do it. In the meantime, I'd buy a new house, but not a brand new one and definitely not a mansion; probably a bargain house such as a foreclosure or a REO. I'd keep my pickup since it's almost paid off and I'd buy a hybrid SUV. I would continue going to school for my MBA in the meantime.

After a year, I'd probably let my parents and my sister know, and we would work out a way to pay off their debt providing they do not *try* to interfere with the decision-making process that is involved with my finances. This is important. I believe we can keep my good luck between the four of us for at least another year, during which I will try to disassociate myself from less-than-scrupulous friends and family whom I do not believe have my best interests in mind (actually, I have begun this process now-as I'm being held back considerably by certain people). I would probably quit my job at this point, and enjoy an entire year of a stress-free environment (I expect to be done with school by now). I will stay at home and brush up on finance, keep track of my finances, and plan weekly themed get-togethers to keep myself busy.

By this time, I expect the word to have gotten out, and I will remain firm with whom I decide to keep close, and whom I decide to keep at bay. At this point, I probably won't want to be back to work, so I will be involved in local organizations, both nonprofit and otherwise, in order to keep me involved.

This would be idea; it probably wouldn't turn out as I just described it; as you can see, there are several points that could create potential negative situations. Nevertheless, this would be my general plan.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
    North Dakota
    United States
    Member #13397
    April 5, 2005
    1623 Posts
    Posted: July 22, 2009, 1:42 pm - IP Logged

I think I would certainly change if I won.  I would be responsible with my spending.  Also, I've been known to be generous in the past...  I've been burned too many times by friends that just use me so I would cut all that out.  I would donate to my favorite organizations; however, my "friends" can sit back and admire.  I would help my family out a much as I could.  I would get a better apartment (yes an apartment) and finish up my BS in Meteorology next year.  Then I would get a job as a meteorologist (not broadcast sorry) and work until it was time to retire.  Of course a trip every now and then and a new car here or there depending on how much I won.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
      Member #91
      January 19, 2002
      11936 Posts
      Posted: July 22, 2009, 2:18 pm - IP Logged

It would be interesting to see if you can keep your written (non winning) personality in line with your true (jackpot hit) personality once you win.  I'm guessing it will be harder than alot of people can imagine.   I am pretty sure I would have some controls in place if I won, because I have been burdened with the "stink of responsibilty" most of my adult life.  But to actually write down what I would and would not do prior to a jackpot win is like wondering what happened to my dreams as a child growing up.  My dreams changed every so often and I adjusted accordingly.  I never would have guessed that this is what I would be doing.     

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
        Member #47420
        November 4, 2006
        3930 Posts
        Posted: July 22, 2009, 5:09 pm - IP Logged

A lot has to do with your age.If your young be very careful but if your old travel a lot before time runs out..That's what I'll do is travel..New everything and just go go go..........

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10356 Posts
          Posted: July 22, 2009, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

One of the jackpot winners on one of the lottery dicumentaries (I think it was The Lotto Changed My Life or a similar title) was a young guy, and one of the smartest interviewed.

He said when he'd see a real hot sports car (upper end, Maserati, Ferrari, etc...) he'd look at it and think, "Gee, I could buy one of those now. I don't want to, I'm not going to, but I could."

So it's not always age that determines reactions to a jackpot win.

I think for any jackpot winner keeping as low a profile as possible is the best way to go.

For my wife and I, the first goal would be getting away from hot, humid summers, forever.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Grovel's avatar - f800e6a39fbfea795d1dcbb09f2244
            Little Rock, AR
            United States
            Member #68365
            December 19, 2008
            241 Posts
            Posted: July 22, 2009, 9:37 pm - IP Logged

I would most likely go to college. Since I wouldn't not have to worry about working to take care of my family I could always take the time to go. Also depending on how much I won, I would get a Jaguar. I would take my girlfriend on a cruise since she has always wanted to go.

United States
              Member #75358
              June 1, 2009
              5345 Posts
              Posted: July 22, 2009, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

I think the best part of playing the lottery is allowing yourself to imagine how you would do things if you won the jackpot. So I got to thinking, why not post this question on here? I'll go first:

First, I would remain anonymous. For at least one year, I would not tell anyone, especially my parents, since we tend to argue over things often, especially over financial matters. For that year, I would *attempt* to remain at work, and I think I could do it. In the meantime, I'd buy a new house, but not a brand new one and definitely not a mansion; probably a bargain house such as a foreclosure or a REO. I'd keep my pickup since it's almost paid off and I'd buy a hybrid SUV. I would continue going to school for my MBA in the meantime.

After a year, I'd probably let my parents and my sister know, and we would work out a way to pay off their debt providing they do not *try* to interfere with the decision-making process that is involved with my finances. This is important. I believe we can keep my good luck between the four of us for at least another year, during which I will try to disassociate myself from less-than-scrupulous friends and family whom I do not believe have my best interests in mind (actually, I have begun this process now-as I'm being held back considerably by certain people). I would probably quit my job at this point, and enjoy an entire year of a stress-free environment (I expect to be done with school by now). I will stay at home and brush up on finance, keep track of my finances, and plan weekly themed get-togethers to keep myself busy.

By this time, I expect the word to have gotten out, and I will remain firm with whom I decide to keep close, and whom I decide to keep at bay. At this point, I probably won't want to be back to work, so I will be involved in local organizations, both nonprofit and otherwise, in order to keep me involved.

This would be idea; it probably wouldn't turn out as I just described it; as you can see, there are several points that could create potential negative situations. Nevertheless, this would be my general plan.

I think the best part of playing the lottery is allowing yourself to imagine how you would do things if you won the jackpot. 

I always thought the best part of playing the lottery was actually winning.

Bagent's avatar - avatar 10424.gif
                Vancouver, WA
                United States
                Member #53665
                July 15, 2007
                151 Posts
                Posted: July 23, 2009, 3:24 am - IP Logged

For me I have very simple dreams of what I would do after a JP win.  I would pay off all the bills that I have, pay off the house, get rid of my 20 year old car and get a new one.  Since the house that we have isn't exactly what the family wants, I would look into another home that is good for the environment with solar power is important  along with having a good bit of acreage.  The wife and I love horses, so we would consider having enough land to have a stable and horses for family rides.

Since the wife is originally from the Philippines, we have talked about going back there to look for some property there and have a winter house there.  I would definately quit working, so long as the lump sum payout was over 20 million and think seriously about maybe starting up a little business either a brick and mortor or even an internet business to pass the time.

Travel would be a high priority since there is so much that I want to see and experience with the wife and kids.  I was an avid scuba diver in my younger years and would like to take up diving again and dive some of the wonders around the globe.  Truk Lagoon, the Great Barrier Reef to name a few.

Basicly, to have the ability to spend time with family, to take care of my aging parents and have them debt free and being taken care of is my goal in life.  To be able to wake up one morning and say - "Wow, I feel like heading to San Francisco to eat at Fisherman's Wharf" and be able to do that would be a dream come true.

Don't get me wrong, spending money isn't my only thought, investing money with the help of a good financial counslor will be in the forefront of my endevor for financial freedom for myself and my entire family.

So to boil it down, a win will change me for the better and provide a better life for my family.

angel 1's avatar - disney32
                  burlington, North Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #77265
                  July 18, 2009
                  370 Posts
                  Posted: July 23, 2009, 9:24 am - IP Logged

I'm alot like Bagent. I have very simple dreams for winning. I just want to be able to pay the bills and be able to keep my 2 year old grandbaby so she will not have to go into daycare. Her mom is alone now and it helps for me to keep her. I would pay off my daughters house and put money into a trust fund for MaKayla. I have one son that is still in high school and very bright and want him to get into a good college. After that maybe finally I could sleep at night and not worry about my family and money for a change. Oh and maybe take a simple vacation something I haven't done in years.Blue Angel

Northern Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #63551
                    August 1, 2008
                    203 Posts
                    Posted: July 23, 2009, 10:04 am - IP Logged

I think the best part of playing the lottery is allowing yourself to imagine how you would do things if you won the jackpot. 

I always thought the best part of playing the lottery was actually winning.

So you have indeed won a jackpot?

thor's avatar - thor
                      Deep in the Woods of Texas
                      United States
                      Member #68454
                      December 22, 2008
                      328 Posts
                      Posted: July 23, 2009, 11:05 am - IP Logged

Change...not much. the $ would give me an opportunity to be able to aid others through organizations I believe follow the example of Jesus, the main key is "love".

As for my own spending, a new family vehicle, a new tractor and implements to maintain my acreage, a cabin in the mountains and that's about all. The rest in neat and financial sound investments for my daughter.

I would still maintain my low key lifestyle and stay hid in the woods here. Still drive that ole pickup and still wear jeans.

Happiness I would not have unless I felt like I was following the example of Jesus as outlined in the Great Book!

Thumbs Up

"Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it"

by: Henry David Thoreau

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10356 Posts
                        Posted: July 23, 2009, 3:04 pm - IP Logged

thor

"Change...notmuch. the $ would give me an opportunity to be able to aid othersthrough organizations I believe follow the example of Jesus, the mainkey is "love"."

Since you said that, I'm sure you give to charities.

Some discussions here about potential jackpot wins make me wonder though. I can think of two charities I know of off hand (both Christian) that have a "Widow's mite" club and a "Buck a month club." They's just like to get as many people as possible to donate whatever they can.

I think a check for a few sheckels actually sent off somewhere certainly beats a "gonna" if a jackpot is hit.

Not charity, but I remember another conversation here about what kind of gun would you buy if you hit a jackpot. More than several of the guns discussed were not really so expensive that it would take a jackpot win to buy them.

Really makes tyou wonder sometimes.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                          Member #54390
                          August 17, 2007
                          313 Posts
                          Posted: July 23, 2009, 3:11 pm - IP Logged

I would keep anonymous for a year.  Before cashing in the winning ticket, I would hire a lawyer and financial advisor.  Since I'm taking annuity, I will give my parents half until their death.  They've worked so hard all their lives and I want them to enjoy the money before they die.  I'll give my brother 30,000 a year until his death.  Money or no money, a college degree is my priority right now.   I want a to live a normal life as much as I can because I won the money, I didn't earn it.  If a wealthy person earned their money, they have the right to live a rich lifestyle, if we won the money, it'll seem all fake and stupid.

thor's avatar - thor
                            Deep in the Woods of Texas
                            United States
                            Member #68454
                            December 22, 2008
                            328 Posts
                            Posted: July 23, 2009, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

thor

"Change...notmuch. the $ would give me an opportunity to be able to aid othersthrough organizations I believe follow the example of Jesus, the mainkey is "love"."

Since you said that, I'm sure you give to charities.

Some discussions here about potential jackpot wins make me wonder though. I can think of two charities I know of off hand (both Christian) that have a "Widow's mite" club and a "Buck a month club." They's just like to get as many people as possible to donate whatever they can.

I think a check for a few sheckels actually sent off somewhere certainly beats a "gonna" if a jackpot is hit.

Not charity, but I remember another conversation here about what kind of gun would you buy if you hit a jackpot. More than several of the guns discussed were not really so expensive that it would take a jackpot win to buy them.

Really makes tyou wonder sometimes.

coin toss:

yes, as i like to say " you gotta eat the fish, but spit out the bones". most of the charities would be local ones that i am familiar with and even know some of the people that run them. in fact, i would probably start my own aid for food and clothing distribution. wil lwork that out when i win..lol.

i think the main thing is to use "love" as described in the Bible to help your heart along the way. those that have a secondary plan behind using God as a backdrop have to answer to Him one day, as well as i will too.

anyway, have a great weekend!

"Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it"

by: Henry David Thoreau

Rocket 455's avatar - rocket
                              Bellevue, KY
                              United States
                              Member #53340
                              July 4, 2007
                              2622 Posts
                              Posted: July 23, 2009, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

It would be interesting to see if you can keep your written (non winning) personality in line with your true (jackpot hit) personality once you win.  I'm guessing it will be harder than alot of people can imagine.   I am pretty sure I would have some controls in place if I won, because I have been burdened with the "stink of responsibilty" most of my adult life.  But to actually write down what I would and would not do prior to a jackpot win is like wondering what happened to my dreams as a child growing up.  My dreams changed every so often and I adjusted accordingly.  I never would have guessed that this is what I would be doing.     

<snip> fja, that's deep. I was thinking about a <snip>y reply but then I read this and... yeah man, that's it in a nutshell.

"A woman drove me to drink... and I didn't even have the decency to thank her." W.C. Fields

This post has been automatically changed by the Lottery Post computer system to remove inappropriate content and/or spam.

She was made for the straitaways
                              She grew up hatin' Chevrolets
                              She's a rocket
                              She was made to burn. ~Kathy Mattea