Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 3:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

online gambling ban repel

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 7 years ago by tookabath.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
bigdaddy's avatar - aviator2 1.jpg
BETWEEN OAKRIDGE AND WRIGHT-PATTERSON AFB
United States
Member #1647
June 10, 2003
2309 Posts
Posted: July 25, 2009, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

anyone know what the status of the online gambling ban repel is i wish they'd just repel it and tax winnings over 1000 10%

everyone write your congressman and ask for it to be repelled...

Relax,Bigdaddy has your number!!!!!

Pi is the way...

turning $30 or less into thousands everyday!!

here we go steelers ..here we go---------stairway to seven 

TIME FOR THE LOMBARDI TROPHY TO  COME  HOME..

FL
    United States
    Member #77284
    July 19, 2009
    60 Posts
    Posted: July 26, 2009, 1:42 am - IP Logged

anyone know what the status of the online gambling ban repel is i wish they'd just repel it and tax winnings over 1000 10%

everyone write your congressman and ask for it to be repelled...

I believe Rep. Barney Franks from MA has a bill that will change the language that made all forms of online gambling unlawful  through the passing of "Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act", or just simply known as UIGEA.

There are two major organization (as far as i know) who are lobbying for the change of UIGEA language or a complete repeal of the law. They are IMEGA and PPA (Poker Players Alliance).

I suggest googling the two organization so that you can get connected to the right network/community for detailed information.

----------------------

Just remember that although congress is controlled by the Democrats (who are in general wouldn't mind seeing UIGEA repealed), Barney Frank's bill has a small chance of even being voted on. Nancy Pelosi has more important things on her plate and would not want to let some gambling bill to interfere with her bigger agenda

Being that she and the majority whip can't keep the Blue Dog coalition in line for the healthcare bill. I highly doubt she will waste her influence/reputation to wiggle a inconsequential bill (by inconsequential, i mean the bill applies to the smaller portion of the population) when she needs to votes for health care reform and etc.

It's simply not feasible or viable within the current realms of the political climate.

Also now with the fall recess coming up, Frank's bill will get buried like most bills sumbitted for a vote. When congress resumes, the debate over healthcare reform will dominate all political agenda and with fall re-election campaign kicking into first gear in couple months, seriously, dont bet on any form of repealment.

In regards to laws like UIGEA, status quo is the premier choice for most politicians with 2010 election around the corner.

(KY Floyd and smoothjuice, feel free to taint the thread with your inadequate rebuttal to the claims I made above. I'm sure like the first one, you will find my claims both bombastic and inflated)

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3474 Posts
      Posted: July 26, 2009, 3:23 am - IP Logged

I read it mostly as a matter of opinion, but even as claims of fact there's nothing in this one to raise a suspicion that you're padding your resume or making  false claims.

I was  pleased to see that Pelosi had the good (and common) sense not to go along with the inane suggestion that congress should waste time praising Michael Jackson,  but I'm sure that she and the rest of the gang (the whole bunch, not just  her fellow Democrats) will find time to spend on plenty of things of far less importance. As for UIGEA, I'd say you're seriously underestimating the importance that many attach to it, and therefore its overall relevance. As for the bill dealing with "the smaller portion of the population", I would expect a doctor from Florida to have heard of Terry Schiavo; Congress is quite capable of making law that affects a small portion of the population. UIGEA may affect only a minority, but it affects a substantial amount of business.  More than 10% of congressional representatives have signed on as cosponsors, and most are seeing regulation as a powerful economic issue. I suspect that if the bill doesn't come up for a vote it will be because they can't reach an agreement about how to regulate online gambling, rather than because they're busy dealing with other things.

United States
        Member #63763
        August 7, 2008
        40 Posts
        Posted: July 26, 2009, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

Here's all you need to know about online gambling (yea, that includes poker):

"You click your mouse, and lose your house."