Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Restrictions on Purchasing Scratcher Tickets-CA

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Dollar419.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
Santa Ana
United States
Member #71159
February 20, 2009
651 Posts
Posted: July 28, 2009, 3:17 pm - IP Logged

This morning when went inside to purchasedgas around 6:30 am,   i.e. Arco Station inSanta Ana, there was a sign stating that you were not allowed to purchasescratcher tickets from 9:00 pm to 7:00 am and all of the scratcher ticketscovered up so that you could not ask for them during that time.   I just want to know if this is legitimate ornot—this seemed to be very odd since this might lower the lotto revenue comingin during that specific time frame from the purchase of all scratcher tickets.  

I guess certain lotto retail stores are allowed post restrictions/timelimits however, I have strong feeling that the District Office would be veryunhappy about this; do you think the District Office will allow him to not sell tickets during that specifictime? I know certain lotto retail stores have restrictions on redeeming ticketsa certain time but not purchasing them.

The reason I go to Arco is because the gas is cheaper and itsaves me a lot of time to buy tickets and gas at the same time. However, since theMobile Station across the street doesn’t have restrictions on selling tickets andbuying gas at the same time, I’ll go there from now on but will have to paymore money on gas!!

Right now, I would like to hearif there are other lotto retail stores in other states that have restrictions in  purchasing scratcher tickets.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: July 28, 2009, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

That is weird. I have never heard of a store having time restrictionsfor purchasing lottery tickets. I wonder why they would even do that?

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

grandmadec's avatar - Lottery-018.jpg
      Ohio
      United States
      Member #29819
      January 7, 2006
      1252 Posts
      Posted: July 28, 2009, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

In Ohio the Ohio Lottery shuts the machines off at midnight so maybe a question of validating winners.

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
        Dump Water Florida
        United States
        Member #380
        June 5, 2002
        3114 Posts
        Posted: July 28, 2009, 9:22 pm - IP Logged

Unless other items were also cut off from sale, like we take no cash between 9 and 7 or there are some kind of local blue laws, it doesn't make sense.  If I cared I'd be on the phone to the lottery office reporting it.  Our market used to pretend the lottery machine was broken when they got busy, I reported the broken machine every time they pulled that bs on me till they stopped.

BobP

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
          Chicago
          United States
          Member #70678
          February 8, 2009
          889 Posts
          Posted: July 28, 2009, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

My first thought was whoever works the night shift(s) either doesn't know how to run the lottery machine or doesn't want to be bothered with it.

I would think if there were restrictions /timelimits it would be posted somewhere on CA's lottery website?

I always bought my gas at Arco too......maybe find a different Arco station?

In response to BobP.......yeah once I was in a mom/pop type store and a customer came in to buy lottery tickets. The guy behind the counter(not sure if he was part owner or not) told the customer the machine was broke.....simply because he didn't want to be bothered with that customer.

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3502 Posts
            Posted: July 29, 2009, 2:26 am - IP Logged

Unless there's some rule requiring them to sell the tickets any time that they're open for business (which seems like a sensible policy for the lottery to have), they would be free to limit sales  as they see fit. As for why they might do it I can think of two possibilities. One might be to reduce the number of winners who may want to cash in tickets at a time when the store may prefer to limit how much cash is accessible. The other would be if they don't want people staying around the store during the night. I could see both of those as part of a sensible security plan.

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
              Clarksville
              United States
              Member #487
              July 15, 2002
              17638 Posts
              Posted: July 29, 2009, 11:21 am - IP Logged

9:00 pm to 7:00 am is a long time span.  They should have said you can't redeem them during this time frame.  I am sure if the CA lottery knew this, they would be raising the roof.  Many folks buy their scratch tickets late before they go home and some folks buy them on the way to work..the lottery is losing a lot of revenue.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
                North Dakota
                United States
                Member #13397
                April 5, 2005
                1623 Posts
                Posted: July 29, 2009, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

I know most Lottery Terminals go offline between Midnight and 4 AM.  SO that means that no winners can be validated at that time.  I'm not sure why they stop sales at 9PM if the machines go off at 12...  Could be a safety thing.  In that case, I wouldn't blame the store.  Littleoldlady has a good point.  If the store were to post a sign that said validations are not allowed between 9-7...  There would be very little confusion and folks wouldn't be upset... Which is the likely reason for them NOT to sell between those times.  I can picture someone winning $100 buck at 1am coming in only to be told that they had to wait several hours before cashing in their prize.  Yeah, that is the likely reason.

How are you going to win if you don't play?

CowboysFan's avatar - Cowboys
                  Sunny California
                  United States
                  Member #63790
                  August 8, 2008
                  220 Posts
                  Posted: July 29, 2009, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

To all the other players that live in California, I was wondering if the manual machines that let you put punch in the numbers yourself have been out of order for quite some time or is just happening where I live. Those machines have been out of order for the most part for the last 4 months or so. Its been only on rare occasions that I walk in and they are working.

United States
                    Member #75358
                    June 1, 2009
                    5345 Posts
                    Posted: July 30, 2009, 12:04 am - IP Logged

Did you bother to ask the clerk that night, or the manager the next day why they did this?

If it was me, I'd first ask the clerk. If he or she didn't know, ( which would be surprising to me) I'd ask the manager the next day or so.

When I said "surprising to me", I didn't mean that I would be surprised at inept clerks at the terminal, but rather surprised that if a manager tells a clerk that he or she must not deal with scratchers after 9:00, the clerk would most certainly, no matter how inept, feel compelled to ask the manager why, just for curiosity sakes if not for any other reason. I know I would.

Dollar419's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg
                      Santa Ana
                      United States
                      Member #71159
                      February 20, 2009
                      651 Posts
                      Posted: July 30, 2009, 6:58 pm - IP Logged

First of all, I want to thank all of the LP family forparticipating in this; all of the suggestions/opinions were very good. Thismorning, I finally called the District Office @ CA Lottery – Customer Service andasked the question about the restrictions and they said: 1) the lotto retailer-Arcoin Santa Ana shouldtry to sell as many scratchertickets while they are opened for business, which is 24/7.   However, 2) they are allowed to set a specific time to sell their scratcher tickets--doesthis make sense to you because it certainly doesn’t to me??? Perhaps this particularlotto retailer makes up the lotto sales during certain peak times in order tostop selling @ 9:00 pm - 7:00 am for whatever unknown reason. Unfortunately, hehas lost me as customer because I’m not going to waste my time driving aroundto buy my lotto and gas at two separate places when it is very convenient forme to purchase both at the same time, i.e. @ Shell, Mobile and Valero, etc.Roll Eyes

p.s. Just this week, a lucky lotto winner in Orange, CAwon over $342,000 from the Mega Millions from a local gas station!!!   Imagine if that particular gas station had certain restrictions!!!