Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What's in your post-JP house?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Bagent.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Northern Ohio
United States
Member #63551
August 1, 2008
203 Posts
Posted: July 30, 2009, 9:29 am - IP Logged

Thought it would be cool to talk about what kind of house we'd buy, and what we'd stock it with.

Here's mine:

I'd buy a ranch-style house, about 3,000-3,500 square feet, probably on 10 or 20 acres of land with some woods at the edge of the back. The house itself would have to be at least a few hundred feet from the road.

The basement would be finished, with hardwood floors and wooden walls halfway up (the rest would be drywall). It would be furnished Irish pub style with a polished mahogany bar, full-sized, fully stocked with all the best beer and liquor; at least three different beers on tap. On the other end would be a digital projection TV set at about 150" with two sectional couches set together to create a big "U" facing the screen. along the walls would be one continuous short shelf and bar stools for people to sit down with their drinks. To the side would be a 2nd room-called The Vault-with a couch facing a flat panel TV; connected to the TV would be a whole bunch of game systems: Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Sega, Playstation 3, XBox360, etc plus all the games. At the middle of the Vault would be a long white table with a projector hanging overhead for interactive game mapping.

Upstairs would be a large country-style kitchen that is open and adjacent to a breakfast nook and a dining room (also open to the rest of the house). The living room's ceiling would be high and vaulted, and have a 70" flat panel TV with a full stereo system and Blu Ray changer. Floor in the living room would be carpeted, unlike the rest of the house, which would be hardwood. There would be a library/study which would have a rotunda, and be lined with bookshelves all the way around, and my own mahogany desk in front of the window. Books (It's a hobby of mine to collect them) would stock the shelves fully. My master bedroom would be spacious, but painted in dark colors such as pine green or navy blue with a custom-made king sized bed and mattress: it would be longer than industry standard because I'm tall. The master bath would be almost all stone, including the shower. There will be 3 other bedrooms for friends/family.

The four car garage would have a new hybrid Escape, a new Corvette convertible, and a Honda motorcycle. The extra space would be for tools and various other things. The backyard would be spacious, with a hot tub on the deck, descending to a large in-ground pool. A brick grill/oven will be there as well.

The total cost for the land and house would be about $500,000 out here.

Let's hear yours.

pepper1's avatar - batman38
    hotatlanta
    United States
    Member #70664
    February 8, 2009
    1446 Posts
    Posted: July 30, 2009, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

I don't need the house and land I have that. What i don't have is all those T.V. The Irish pub and pool table. I got the cars, but I would like another F350 dulley and enough money to be able to put gas in it, and to live and be out of debt. I would like to be able to help family and friends and church.

Syracuse, NY
      United States
      Member #77577
      July 26, 2009
      20 Posts
      Posted: July 31, 2009, 5:30 am - IP Logged

Depends on the size of the jackpot, if it was a $100M+ powerball type thing, I'd probably splurge a little, buy a small new house 2 bedroom, 2 bath with a nice size basement for home theater, and a pool room of course.  Wouldn't want too big of a house, then I'd have to clean, and I don't trust maids to not steal.  I'd have to have a decent amount of land (hate neighbors being 30ft away.)  Besides that I'd probably pick up a Tesla Roadster just because I've always wanted one.  With the rest I'd donate 15% (after taxes) to the Chron's and Colitis Foundation of America specifically for Colitis research since I am a long time sufferer of Chronic Ulcerative Colitis.  Then I'd keep about a million on hand, would live a reasonable life, and invest the rest so that I could retire.  All in all I'd spend less than 20% after taxes, and invest the other 80%.  It's the people who go out and buy tons of crap who end up going bankrupt and become the guy at the gas station selling the tickets, so I'd like to avoid that. Wink

The other option is if I won say $20M.  I'd still buy the house and land and would donate the 15%.  Would just buy a reasonable car, BMW 5-Series or so.  I'd keep $250,000 on hand for whatever may come up, and invest the rest and would work another 10 years or so then retire.  I guess it all comes down to what the jackpot ends up being.  Oh and in both cases, I would pay off my parents' debts, since we're struggling to survive, and I'd pay my sisters college loans off so she wouldn't have to be 24 and living at home still.

-Jeff

thor's avatar - thor
        Deep in the Woods of Texas
        United States
        Member #68454
        December 22, 2008
        328 Posts
        Posted: July 31, 2009, 8:26 am - IP Logged

well, i'm happy with the home i have now hid in the middle of all these trees that no one can see from miles around. but,

i would build a cabin in the mountains of Colorado for my summer stay. nothing fancy. a simple cabin with just enough room sitting on about 25 acres and a river/stream running through the middle of it.

the attraction of all these earthly possesions are very low on my scale, but that's another subject for another day.

so back to the house....just a simple cabin with a front porch, two bedrooms, necessary plumbing facilities, no phone, no computer, and of course a fireplace for those cool evenings where me, the wife, and daughter could just watch the craziness of the world keep on spinning around us.

there you go!Yes Nod

"Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it"

by: Henry David Thoreau

angelm's avatar - anne
          richmond ky.
          United States
          Member #15877
          May 22, 2005
          8472 Posts
          Posted: July 31, 2009, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

a quiet place near the ocean-secludedSmile

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
            adelaide sa
            Australia
            Member #37136
            April 11, 2006
            3300 Posts
            Posted: July 31, 2009, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

i would prob not bother owning a house. i would get bored easily, and what with my giant luxury airship , who has time to look after houses.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
              Member #54390
              August 17, 2007
              313 Posts
              Posted: August 1, 2009, 12:42 am - IP Logged

I would buy a nice average-sized house near the lake.  I don't want to show off my riches.  For the car, maybe a New Ford Mustang or Dodge Challenger.

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
                Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
                United States
                Member #26084
                November 14, 2005
                199 Posts
                Posted: August 1, 2009, 1:21 pm - IP Logged

I was thinking along the lines of this monster estate  near Dallas. It’s 36,630 Sq Ft on 25 acres, indoor and outdoor pools, ballroom, bowling alley, theater, wine room, veranda can seat 450,15 car garage, tennis court, esplanade, private lake. The price you ask, only $27,500,000.

house

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

Entertaiment Capital
                  United States
                  Member #37800
                  April 19, 2006
                  302 Posts
                  Posted: August 1, 2009, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

A young, 4000 sq ft house in Arcadia, CA or Brentwood (not the one near Stockon, CA), CA.

Syracuse, NY
                    United States
                    Member #77577
                    July 26, 2009
                    20 Posts
                    Posted: August 1, 2009, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

$27.5M is just insane for a house.  Even if the Jackpot was $55M or so, you'd only clear about $30M... you'd go tax broke in a couple years.  Tempting though, but that place would be so dusty if it were my house, I don't trust maids... What?

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
                      Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
                      United States
                      Member #26084
                      November 14, 2005
                      199 Posts
                      Posted: August 1, 2009, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

Yea the property tax is over $100,000. I shutter to think what the utilities and homeowners insurants is. But the bowling alley would have been a hoot.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

Bagent's avatar - avatar 10424.gif
                        Vancouver, WA
                        United States
                        Member #53665
                        July 15, 2007
                        151 Posts
                        Posted: August 4, 2009, 7:32 am - IP Logged

For me, I would have to say that I would be interested in a new home.  Been living in apartments most of my life and just bought a house last year.  The bad thing is the neighbors are about 10' on either side of me.  I would find a home with several acres along with it, nothing fancy, a 5 BR so that each kid can have their own room and a study/office for me.  I would also consider purchasing a home in my wife's home country of the Philippines.  A really nice home on the beach with a pool would be a dream come true.

Since my car is over 15 years old, I would want to have a new car, a Mustang or Corvette would be nice.  Other than that, the rest goes into investments and the bank.