Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

ny lottery retailers looking for handouts

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 7 years ago by thefirstbite.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
yonkers , poughkeepsie NY
United States
Member #75102
May 27, 2009
6 Posts
Posted: July 31, 2009, 1:07 am - IP Logged

hi everyone today i brought a $500,000,000 exstravaganza ticket its a $20 ticket when i was in the supermarket grocery shoping..i went home and put all my grocerys away..i sat down with a cup of coffee and scratched the ticket at the table i revealed a star symbol with $50.00 under it. the star means 10times the amount shown so i realized i had a $500 hit and went down the road to the corner gas station to cash the ticket..after the clerk scanned the ticket he was like no tip for me??.. i said if you sold it to me the ticket i would of gave you somthing but i bought the ticket out of a machine at the supermarkert..then this guy procedes to say your lucky i gave you the money, if the register didnt have the 500 in it he wouldnt of had to pay me.i explaind he must pay my winnings up to and including $600 since this mobil is a NYS lottery retailer...i got mad and left..i wonder if this guy would look out for me on every ticket i buy and lose on

Syracuse, NY
    United States
    Member #77577
    July 26, 2009
    20 Posts
    Posted: July 31, 2009, 5:11 am - IP Logged

See, I personally never understood the whole "retailer gets awarded" thing.  Why?  They're doing their jobs.  I don't get awarded at work for giving a patient the right food.  If they want to win, they should wager their own money and give it a go, not wait for one of their customers to be successful and then beg for a tip.  If it were me, I'd have called the lottery hotline while standing right there and reported the incident claiming that he asked for a tip (not allowed to) and that he basically threatened to not pay out.  I bet that would make him think twice about asking for a tip again.  It's like buying a pack of gum and the retailer asking for a piece, it's just a no go in my book. 

Even when someone wins a jackpot, and supposedly the retailer is supposed to get $10,000, I don't get why?  These retailers think they're special for pushing a button and handing you a ticket.  In case you're wondering, I'm so bitter over this because someone here recently won a jackpot, I forget the details exactly to how much.  As far as I know, this retailer got the $10,000 bonus, then had enough nerve to go to the news stations complaining about the person who won the jackpot, and how they felt they deserved "at least $25,000" and ran this guys name through all over the news.  It's things like this that make me think they need to get rid of that bonus completely.

new york new york
      United States
      Member #76859
      July 7, 2009
      14 Posts
      Posted: July 31, 2009, 7:15 am - IP Logged

ITA Jeff!!

The same thing has happened to me in NY! I cashed in $500 scratcher and the guy behind the counter paid me, but then he stood there with a look on his face as if I was supposed to give him 10 percent!

I guess if you're friendly with the clerk then it's a personal decision between you and the clerk, but if you don't really know the person, well.....anyway, those who are behind the counter should not expect to be given a tip!!

mjwinsmith's avatar - moon

United States
        Member #391
        June 8, 2002
        16071 Posts
        Posted: July 31, 2009, 7:35 am - IP Logged

"TIP" = To Improve Service

You don't owe anybody a "TIP" the waiter, waitress, gas stattion attendant and yes lottery store clerk / machine operator. You give a tip to someone that has gone out of their way doing their job to give you exceptional service. That is where the tip comes in.

I use to play the daily games when I worked it New Jersey, the clerk at the store knew me well and at times when I had a hit and she could'nt pay me out from the register during lunch time she told me she would have my money in the evening when I would usually stop by to play my numbers before I went home. If she had to send someone to the bank to get the money she did because she promised me and she knew I was coming back that evening. I was also a good customer and was so because of her good service.

When I hit several big Pick-4 I gave her a tip, not because I felt I had to but because I wanted to.

If someone thinks they are due a tip simply by doing their job give them this tip, Find another Job, you're no good at this one.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
          A long and winding road
          United States
          Member #17084
          June 10, 2005
          4528 Posts
          Posted: August 1, 2009, 12:10 am - IP Logged

"TIP" = To Improve Service

You don't owe anybody a "TIP" the waiter, waitress, gas stattion attendant and yes lottery store clerk / machine operator. You give a tip to someone that has gone out of their way doing their job to give you exceptional service. That is where the tip comes in.

I use to play the daily games when I worked it New Jersey, the clerk at the store knew me well and at times when I had a hit and she could'nt pay me out from the register during lunch time she told me she would have my money in the evening when I would usually stop by to play my numbers before I went home. If she had to send someone to the bank to get the money she did because she promised me and she knew I was coming back that evening. I was also a good customer and was so because of her good service.

When I hit several big Pick-4 I gave her a tip, not because I felt I had to but because I wanted to.

If someone thinks they are due a tip simply by doing their job give them this tip, Find another Job, you're no good at this one.

I Agree!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

Philadelphia, PA
            United States
            Member #76677
            July 3, 2009
            12 Posts
            Posted: August 1, 2009, 11:40 pm - IP Logged

mademan83, first of all, congrats on your win!

It's ridiculous that the guy did that to you; I wonder if he can get fired for that transgression. Poor customer service and unethical.

I usually go to lotto retailers that are always friendly to me anyway, so if I ever get a big win, I think it's nice to give them a gift. But some random schlub demanding a handout? No way! Angry