Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

POLL: Could you do it?

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

A genie helps you win a jackpot, but you can never tell anyone

Yeah, sure. [ 15 ]  [53.57%]
No! I have to play [ 2 ]  [7.14%]
Not sure [ 2 ]  [7.14%]
Too tough to answer [ 3 ]  [10.71%]
I'd have to tell somebody [ 3 ]  [10.71%]
I knew there was a lotto genie! [ 3 ]  [10.71%]
I'd have to play one more time, then jump. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
The trhill would be gone. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
So that's what happened to _ _ _ _ _! [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Other [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 28 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10345 Posts
Posted: August 1, 2009, 6:21 pm - IP Logged

A genie helps you win a jackpot, a decent jackpot, let's say $50,000,000. If you use your head you'll be set for life.

But the genie gave you a couple of conditions. If you violate them, you'll lose it all.

One is you can never play again. You can't have others play for you, either (the genie will know).You can't reveal anything to anyone, not in person, via the internet, no way at all.

Another condition is the closest you can get to lotto is help other people pick numbers, occassionally they will win something decent, but you can't tell them how you do it.

The closest you can come to explaining anything is saying that you were given a gift, but a curse went along with it. The gist if picking numbers, the curse is that if you tell anyone how you got the gift, you lose all your winnings, will never hit again, and you'll lose the ability to help others choosing numbers.

Kind of a Cinderella midnight pumpkin story, but could you do it?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
    Member #916
    December 12, 2002
    18335 Posts
    Posted: August 1, 2009, 8:15 pm - IP Logged

Trust me Coin Toss.. If I win the jackpot I am out lol!

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: August 2, 2009, 1:04 am - IP Logged

If I win the jackpot, I'll just ask someone else to play my numbers.  LOL  After I win millions, I won't care about the money, but I would still want to see my numbers finally come up! 

Ps:  I can keep a secret.

United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10345 Posts
        Posted: August 2, 2009, 1:38 am - IP Logged

If I win the jackpot, I'll just ask someone else to play my numbers.  LOL  After I win millions, I won't care about the money, but I would still want to see my numbers finally come up! 

Ps:  I can keep a secret.

Nope, you can't do that.

From the OP:

One is you can never play again. You can't have others play for you,either (the genie will know). You can't reveal anything to anyone, notin person, via the internet, no way at all.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: August 2, 2009, 1:51 am - IP Logged

You can't reveal anything to anyone, not in person, via the internet, no way at all.

If this was one of the requirements, then I would not make the cut. There is no way that I would be able to keep a big win like that from my mother and sisters. I could keep it a secret from everyone else, but them...nope. LOL

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

United States
            Member #76285
            June 23, 2009
            16 Posts
            Posted: August 2, 2009, 11:46 am - IP Logged

"The closest you can come to explaining anything is saying that you were given a gift, but a curse went along with it. The gist if picking numbers, the curse is that if you tell anyone how you got the gift, you lose all your winnings, will never hit again, and you'll lose the ability to help others choosing numbers"

How's that possible in today's media world? The smiling picture with the big check will be all-over (unless its DE or alike). And what would you tell to Uncle Sam in your tax return?

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
              adelaide sa
              Australia
              Member #37136
              April 11, 2006
              3300 Posts
              Posted: August 2, 2009, 12:00 pm - IP Logged

ill even throw in in  a " i wont tell enyone I won the lotto " clause as well for free.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
                Member #30470
                January 17, 2006
                10345 Posts
                Posted: August 2, 2009, 2:52 pm - IP Logged

"The closest you can come to explaining anything is saying that you were given a gift, but a curse went along with it. The gist if picking numbers, the curse is that if you tell anyone how you got the gift, you lose all your winnings, will never hit again, and you'll lose the ability to help others choosing numbers"

How's that possible in today's media world? The smiling picture with the big check will be all-over (unless its DE or alike). And what would you tell to Uncle Sam in your tax return?

Redsquash,

A little 'poetic license' here. Since the scenario involves a genie, let's just say the smiling picture, etc. is "taken care of".

Lep

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10345 Posts
                  Posted: August 3, 2009, 3:09 pm - IP Logged

Let's turn this into an LP Fable and see what happens.

Take turns ading a few sentences or a paragraph at a time.

Once upon a time, a member of LP, Lucky Lisa,  went to a flea market and found a lamp with a genie in it......When they got home, they rubbed the lamp and the genie told them they'd hit a lottery jackpot, but after that could never play again or have anyone play for them.

The genie said that Lucky Lisa could help other people pick numbers or tell them when to play quick picks, and many of them would win something. But she could nevert tell them how she could do this, or why, if she did, her winnings would disappear.......

So, one day Lucky Lisa.......

Lep

United States
                    Member #76285
                    June 23, 2009
                    16 Posts
                    Posted: August 3, 2009, 4:20 pm - IP Logged

"The genie said that Lucky Lisa could help other people pick numbers or tell them when to play quick picks, and many of them would win something. But she could nevert tell them how she could do this, or why, if she did, her winnings would disappear......."

Can I add something, to make it funnier and interesting..........

"whatever prize you win - your WORST WORST enemy (who you hate more than you love yourself) would also win double of that prize"

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10345 Posts
                      Posted: August 3, 2009, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

Redsquash,

Not bad, but an obvious twist on an old fable. The genie keeps giving the adversary double, so for his third wish the guy who found the lamp, knowing the other guy gets doulbe, tells the genie he wants him to put one of his eyes out.

Scared

Lep

United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10345 Posts
                        Posted: August 6, 2009, 5:19 pm - IP Logged

Lucky Lisa gave someone a Pick 4 to play, and it hit.

They hounded her to know how she did it, and they wanted a "guarantee", because they wanted to take her gift and turn it ointo their own prediction service.

She told them no possible way any of that would happen, because it would spoil it all for her and them.

The person wouldn't leave Lucky Lisa alone, so she hired...........

Lep