Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 9:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does anyone know how the lotto machine works...

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 7 years ago by tooty.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #78066
August 6, 2009
3 Posts
Posted: August 6, 2009, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

when you are checking to see if you won an instant lottery ticket?  I was pretty certain my ticket was worth $12.00.  It came up as $7.00 on the lotto machine.  I went back to my car to look at an old ticket to make sure I could not be wrong about the possibilities of winning $12 before going back into the store causing a scene.  The gentleman gave me a hard time, telling me he already ripped up the ticket.  I persisted and he eventually gave in and let me see the ticket. 

He denied knowing how to play the lottery ticket.  It was the $5.00 2 game crossword puzzle.  I had circled all of my winning words and won 4 words ($7) on the first puzzle and 3 words ($5) on the second puzzle.  The cashier eventually gave me an additional $5.00. 

At the time, it never occurred to me to check to make sure I did not accidentally circle a wrong letter, so now I am wondering...  I would feel absolutely horrible if I took $5 from the store.  After seeing a special on dateline about lotto tickets, I just do not trust anyone anymore. 

I am wondering what others think.  He said he was going to hold on to the ticket and have someone else look at it, but he never took my name down so I don't know how that would help.  Is it possible for him to enter $7 as the winning amount on the machine?  or for the machine to be wrong?  It is not clear to me why he just did not reenter the instant number into the machine to double check the winnings.  Is that possible?  Thanks.  I am thinking about calling tomorrow or stopping by to make sure everything is okay with the ticket.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19903 Posts
    Posted: August 6, 2009, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

You should be more trusting to the point you at least say in which state you bought the ticket when you're asking a question about a game since you list your location as United States .  Every state have a different system, Ohio recently install a new system by a different vendor and I've noticed some stores now have terminals with a screen that faces the customer and prints out if the ticket is a winner and its payout amount.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
      Member #78066
      August 6, 2009
      3 Posts
      Posted: August 6, 2009, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

I did not know that was an issue.  The state is NJ.  It also just occurred to me that when I walked in with the ticket I had everything circled- all of the words including the amount of each prize.  I saw on dateline how another lotto store clerk scanned in a different lottery ticket worth much less.  I can't imagine why someone would do that for only $5, but now I am wondering...

United States
        Member #78066
        August 6, 2009
        3 Posts
        Posted: August 6, 2009, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

This particular screen on the lotto machine did face me.  The gentleman behind the counter also told me they were haveing problems with this game and that I was not the only one.