Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 12:55 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Question about Taxes

Topic closed. 5 replies. Last post 7 years ago by time*treat.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
484 Posts
Posted: August 13, 2009, 10:07 am - IP Logged

I have a question.  Does anyone know about the situation regarding taxes concerning the grand prize of a lottery game such as powerball or mega millions?

If someone won a powerball/mega millions jackpot grand prize, would the lottery take the required amount of federal and state taxes IMMEDIATELY before sending the money to the winner or would the winner receive the ENTIRE lump sum after claiming the prize and then pay off the taxes on his or her own?  I didn't know if any of you knew about this, so I wanted to ask all of you about it.  Thank you in advance for your response.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

pigsNtrees's avatar - pigsNtrees
    Mallorn trees of Lothlorien
    United States
    Member #26084
    November 14, 2005
    199 Posts
    Posted: August 13, 2009, 10:33 am - IP Logged

Short answer YES.

This is from

Mega Millions Jackpot Analysis

http://www.usamega.com/mega-millions-jackpot.asp 

Under Important Notes it says….

All of the tax amounts listed above are the taxes withheld at the time of the prize award.(25%)

State lotteries typically deduct other amounts from prize payments, such as child support payments, back taxes owed, outstanding student loans, and other government agency responsibilities.

Quando Porca Volare!

drunk hobbit

United States
      Member #34931
      March 9, 2006
      98 Posts
      Posted: August 13, 2009, 2:35 pm - IP Logged

What a slacker!  You have been a forum member since 2002, and this topic has been discussed in NUMEROUS threads.  How hard would it be to fill out a faux 1040 with a multi-million income amount to determine the tax obligation?

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49767 Posts
        Posted: August 13, 2009, 3:46 pm - IP Logged

I have a question.  Does anyone know about the situation regarding taxes concerning the grand prize of a lottery game such as powerball or mega millions?

If someone won a powerball/mega millions jackpot grand prize, would the lottery take the required amount of federal and state taxes IMMEDIATELY before sending the money to the winner or would the winner receive the ENTIRE lump sum after claiming the prize and then pay off the taxes on his or her own?  I didn't know if any of you knew about this, so I wanted to ask all of you about it.  Thank you in advance for your response.

You'll Find the Answer Here!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
          Member #567
          August 14, 2002
          484 Posts
          Posted: August 13, 2009, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

What a slacker!  You have been a forum member since 2002, and this topic has been discussed in NUMEROUS threads.  How hard would it be to fill out a faux 1040 with a multi-million income amount to determine the tax obligation?

The previous discussions about taxes were about how much federal and state taxes were and which states taxed you.  But the discussions were not about whether the lottery instantly deducted the tax amount from the prize or if the winner needed to pay it on their own.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: August 14, 2009, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

The lottery takes out only PART of the taxes you owe, at the beginning.

The lottery withholds 25% for federal taxes before sending you anything.

The state portion will vary by state whether or not it's taken right away.
            DC recently changed their rules -- http://www.lotterypost.com/news/193354

Your federal tax total will likely be over 30%, so you will have a "balance" on your federal tax to pay.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.