Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 11:11 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerplay, Yay or Nay

Topic closed. 9 replies. Last post 7 years ago by cinobyte.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #78471
August 15, 2009
33 Posts
Posted: August 17, 2009, 1:58 pm - IP Logged

Is the powerplay option worth it? Would it not make more sense to spend the dollar on another chance for the jackpot? Do you use powerplay?

Miss G's avatar - hani
    Bowie, MD
    United States
    Member #70197
    January 26, 2009
    17 Posts
    Posted: August 17, 2009, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

Is the powerplay option worth it? Would it not make more sense to spend the dollar on another chance for the jackpot? Do you use powerplay?

Yes it is worth it.  If you won $200,000 and the multiplier was 5 then you would have won $1M.  I would say that was worth it.

United States
      Member #78471
      August 15, 2009
      33 Posts
      Posted: August 17, 2009, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

True, but what are your chances of hitting those 5 numbers. Chance-wise, isnt it better to spend the extra dollar on another PB ticket?

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
        Idaho
        United States
        Member #56506
        November 21, 2007
        6537 Posts
        Posted: August 18, 2009, 12:47 am - IP Logged

I used to be in the group, that thought it was pointless to pay extra for powerplay, but then one time I bought a Powerball ticket and pp'd it and won a good amount. So now, I like to powerplay my tickets. However, there are times I still just buy them without pp, but that is not very often.

There are times that I think it is worth it. Like when I win a small amount Wink, but sometimes I think the extra dollar could have been used to play another line.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

NY
          United States
          Member #23835
          October 16, 2005
          3501 Posts
          Posted: August 18, 2009, 12:54 am - IP Logged

It's mostly personal preference. By spending twice as much on powerplay you increase the value of the prize (except the jackpot, of course), but you don't increase your chances of winning one of the prizes.

If the powerplay turns out to be 2 you'd clearly be better off using the extra $1 to play the same 5 numbers with a different power ball. If you win a prize other than the jackpot you double the amount you win by winning on both tickets, plus the extra ticket gives you twice the chance of matching the powerball, thus increasing one of the prizes. If you were to win the jackpot with the first ticket the powerplay option wouldn't have increased your winnings, but the 2nd ticket will add 200k to your winnings. If the powerplay is more than 2 you'd have been better off spending the buck for powerplay, unless one of the tickets wins a jackpot.

The other option would be to buy another ticket that doesn't use the same 5 numbers. That won't increase any prize, but it doubles your chances of winning a prize.

Pinkpansies's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
            Member #58857
            February 27, 2008
            112 Posts
            Posted: August 18, 2009, 1:18 am - IP Logged

I don't use powerplay.  I'm shooting for the jackpot, if I get a lesser prize great, but I'd rather have two chances at the jackpot vs. one.  The states love powerplay because I believe that they get to pocket the full amount in their pocket, meaning the powerplay amount doesn't go towards the jackpot at all and they don't have to give any of it to MUSL, thus they make more profit.  I'm not 100% sure if that's the case and if I'm wrong then someone feel free to let me know, but I think that's the case.

Earth
              United States
              Member #75893
              June 14, 2009
              4 Posts
              Posted: August 18, 2009, 11:35 am - IP Logged

Normally I do not add PP, but for this upcoming jackpot I think I will experiment and give it a go.

United States
                Member #1826
                July 11, 2003
                2645 Posts
                Posted: August 18, 2009, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

Definate yes. You're likely to win 5,561,013 smaller prizes in Powerball before you won the jackpot. So why not multiply them?

(insert signature here)

United States
                  Member #78471
                  August 15, 2009
                  33 Posts
                  Posted: August 18, 2009, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for all the replies. I am going to go all out and play 50 tix w/ PP. What do I have to lose, lol?

Ashvegas
                    United States
                    Member #78306
                    August 11, 2009
                    20 Posts
                    Posted: August 18, 2009, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

I never power play because I personally like getting more draws. I just feel like it betters my odds.... As for what to lose 100 bucks LOL Wink