Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Losers

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Littleoldlady.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #78471
August 15, 2009
33 Posts
Posted: August 26, 2009, 8:12 pm - IP Logged

Been reading up on David Edwards and was wondering if there are any other people who won the millions in the lottery and wound up broke after a few years. Kind of a sad story.

Texas Joey's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg
    Katy, Tx
    United States
    Member #67709
    December 3, 2008
    204 Posts
    Posted: August 26, 2009, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

Yep, It's crazt how he lost most of his Millions.  Just dumb.  And there is another one in CA that won the lottery and ended up broke.   Doing business with a hand shake just does't work anymore.  That is how he lost his and is now living in a trailer!!

I think our school are to blame for a lot of that happening in this day and age.

Lol

JoeyBash

United States
      Member #78471
      August 15, 2009
      33 Posts
      Posted: August 27, 2009, 5:45 am - IP Logged

Yep, It's crazt how he lost most of his Millions.  Just dumb.  And there is another one in CA that won the lottery and ended up broke.   Doing business with a hand shake just does't work anymore.  That is how he lost his and is now living in a trailer!!

I think our school are to blame for a lot of that happening in this day and age.

Lol

JoeyBash

Odd you said that about the schools. I have said for years that schools need to give a mandatory 6 weeks course in financial management. Schools want to teach kids about sex in the fifth grade but they wont offer any financial classes. That never made sense to me.

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: August 27, 2009, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

The statistics reportedly tell us that the majority of lottery winners lose it in fairly short order. Edwards managed to squander a pre-tax jackpot of somehting like 26 milion, which had to take some serious effort over a period of many years. Even he might have had trouble going through the net proceeds from the current  MM jackpot.

I also wonder why schools don't routinely teach some basic finance, but if you think that should come before or in place of sex ed in 5th grade you must not be paying attention to the world around you. It's awfully difficult for a kid to get in serious financial trouble by 5th or 6th grade, but thare are plenty of 6th and 7th graders who already are, or are about to become, parents. It seems to me that courses in basic finance can definitely wait until after the sex ed and basic parenting classes.

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
          Washington State
          United States
          Member #33973
          February 26, 2006
          347 Posts
          Posted: August 27, 2009, 6:07 pm - IP Logged

Personal finance may not be a routine requirement in the schools, but there are isolated cases of it.  When I started teaching at our local school district, the semester course was one of the classes I taught and was a local requirement for seniors.  It was still a requirement when I left the district six years later, though I'm not sure if it still is. 

While some students might benefit from taking such a class earlier, I personally think that the topic will seem most relevant to them close to the time they will be on their own.

DC81's avatar - batman39
            MI
            United States
            Member #54830
            August 31, 2007
            985 Posts
            Posted: August 27, 2009, 9:28 pm - IP Logged

When I was in high school we had to take a business/economics class, was very basic stuff though that really didn't teach anything aside from balancing a checkbook and things that were obsolete before I graduated. LOL

You can't predict random.

New Jersey
              United States
              Member #79460
              September 1, 2009
              5 Posts
              Posted: September 2, 2009, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

I remember when I was in 9th grade I had very poor math skills and could not get into the better math classes. I was placed in a general math class for the less smart kids. the teacher of that class was the best teacher I ever had because he taught us how to balance a check book write out a monthly expense plan and pay bills. We learned about interest rates credit cards and bank accounts. he talked about paying rent and mortgages, basically he taught us life math and the importance of paying off debt and how to save money. that class is one that I will always remember. to this day I write out what I need and how I will pay for it. and I kept myself out of debt. But, the clunker is I get the bad rap of being a miser, cheap and a tightwad. I never kept up with the Joneses and the Joneses looked down at me, and it did hurt I felt like a loser. With the economy going down I lost my job and so did the joneses, the only difference is my 8 year old car is still in the driveway and Im still managing to live in my home. the joneses are gone. I lack in health ins. and don't have a pension plan so now I don't care if im called cheap and frugal I have no choice, In the past two years my income has dropped to half and so has my savings.  If I won the lottery the first thing I would do is get better health insurance and set up an ira for my retirement. I probably never will be able to retire and may loose my home the way America is going.   

With that off my chest, I play the pick 6, buy two tickets a week and hope for the best. One more thing, set up a plan on what you would do if you won the lottery, what you would buy, how will you deal with children and relatives, the need to get a the right tax lawyer and what you plan to save for an emergency fund and your future. Read the lottery loser stories and learn from them of what not to do.

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
                North Carolina
                United States
                Member #64582
                September 1, 2008
                347 Posts
                Posted: September 2, 2009, 1:26 pm - IP Logged

I remember when I was in 9th grade I had very poor math skills and could not get into the better math classes. I was placed in a general math class for the less smart kids. the teacher of that class was the best teacher I ever had because he taught us how to balance a check book write out a monthly expense plan and pay bills. We learned about interest rates credit cards and bank accounts. he talked about paying rent and mortgages, basically he taught us life math and the importance of paying off debt and how to save money. that class is one that I will always remember. to this day I write out what I need and how I will pay for it. and I kept myself out of debt. But, the clunker is I get the bad rap of being a miser, cheap and a tightwad. I never kept up with the Joneses and the Joneses looked down at me, and it did hurt I felt like a loser. With the economy going down I lost my job and so did the joneses, the only difference is my 8 year old car is still in the driveway and Im still managing to live in my home. the joneses are gone. I lack in health ins. and don't have a pension plan so now I don't care if im called cheap and frugal I have no choice, In the past two years my income has dropped to half and so has my savings.  If I won the lottery the first thing I would do is get better health insurance and set up an ira for my retirement. I probably never will be able to retire and may loose my home the way America is going.   

With that off my chest, I play the pick 6, buy two tickets a week and hope for the best. One more thing, set up a plan on what you would do if you won the lottery, what you would buy, how will you deal with children and relatives, the need to get a the right tax lawyer and what you plan to save for an emergency fund and your future. Read the lottery loser stories and learn from them of what not to do.

Good for you for not following the Jones!! You kept to your budget and true to yourself! I am sorry to hear about your job, but things would have been worse for you had you kept up with the Jones.

Believe in yourself and keep to your budget! I'm sure you will find something soon!

God Bless!

marcie's avatar - Lottery-060.jpg
                  Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #49980
                  February 21, 2007
                  34107 Posts
                  Posted: September 3, 2009, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Been reading up on David Edwards and was wondering if there are any other people who won the millions in the lottery and wound up broke after a few years. Kind of a sad story.

I know what I would do I would invest my half of the Money I won. Because you get lots of interest on it. That would be a very smart think to do.

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/233413    Sun Smiley Popular numbers

Use Mirror #'s Use prs. with your  Key* numbers the most Vivid thing in your dream go up or down on #'s.  Flip  6=9 `9=6  Bullseyes  0 or 1 for Pick 4 and the P. 5  Play the other part of doubles.  Do the Whole nine yards for a P. 4* P. 5*  or 0 thur 9  for P. 4  P. 5 from my dreams or hunches good Luck.. Write your Dreams down Play for 3 days.  Good Luck All.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                    Member #4877
                    May 30, 2004
                    5114 Posts
                    Posted: September 6, 2009, 1:29 am - IP Logged

Lol

JoeyBash

SmashBashSmashBashSmash............wow {WHAT a STORY}!!!!!

i WOULD HOPE THAT IF ANYONE ON LOTTERY POST ever WIN'S jackpot$

they WOULD GET THIS PERSON OUT OF the trailer without handshake

MABY>>>>>>>>>>Todd WOULD LIKE 2 PUBLISH HIS "LIFE" STORY 4-ALL2

"READ">>L@@K'S LIKE EDUCATION 2-ME!!

LOL

PSYKOMO

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                      Member #4877
                      May 30, 2004
                      5114 Posts
                      Posted: September 7, 2009, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

SEND UR investment's 2 LOTTERY POST >>>>>>if U care R>>>DARE 222222>

get in on the b@@k & movie right's  >>>>>>what a "STORY" bout people

G@@D>>>>>>>>BAD>>>>>>>>>

LOL

PSYKOMO

Texas Joey's avatar - Lottery-009.jpg
                        Katy, Tx
                        United States
                        Member #67709
                        December 3, 2008
                        204 Posts
                        Posted: September 17, 2009, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

That is an idea, but just for the record use a nickname instead of your real one so anyone want come stick notes on my door.Clown

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                          adelaide sa
                          Australia
                          Member #37136
                          April 11, 2006
                          3300 Posts
                          Posted: September 19, 2009, 9:29 am - IP Logged

hmm sounds like a niche market for financial planners, " instant wealth finaincial planning ".

set up by a lotto winner for lotto winners. [ and anyone else with a new bucket of cash they have no clue what to do with. ]

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
                            Clarksville
                            United States
                            Member #487
                            July 15, 2002
                            17638 Posts
                            Posted: September 19, 2009, 9:44 am - IP Logged

They just started making financial planning mandatory in all TN schools.  I wish we would have had it when I was in school.  I learned to keep a budget and pay my bills from my Dad.  I have always had decent credit and I try not to overspend.  I don't have a lot of money saved but I am not worried about  that right now. My sister once said "We have always had enough." I manage to help others when I can.  I have just one bill I am beginning to worry about but hopefully and with the help of the Good Lord I will get it under control also.  I have met people who didn't have a pot to whizz in ..get a small "windfall" and just blow it trying to be something they are not and cannot afford.  They were trying to act like they were "really" above everyone else.  Now they are out of their windfall and looking really stupid.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.