Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 4:45 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Mega Million Lump Sum payment question

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Stack47.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bagent's avatar - avatar 10424.gif
Vancouver, WA
United States
Member #53665
July 15, 2007
151 Posts
Posted: August 27, 2009, 6:42 am - IP Logged

I am almost certain that this has been talked about at one time or another, but I can't seem to be able to find it using the search function.

Trying to decide about lump sum verses annunity and I am leaning towards the lump sum.  My question is - once I win the JP, have the financial and legal stuff in place and head off to claim my winnings, how long of a wait will I expect to get my lump sum payment?

I think I have read here that it is between 6-8 weeks to get all the money from the other states.  Does the Lottery offer an initial payment to get you started and the rest comes after this time frame is passed or do I have to wait that long to get any money?

With the annunity, I think I have heard that you get your first yearly payment at time of claim, is this still true?

Thanks

Bagent

Milwaukee, WI
    United States
    Member #3131
    December 27, 2003
    665 Posts
    Posted: August 27, 2009, 6:55 am - IP Logged

I would imagine  that it varies by state.  I remember somebody from Michigan got a 1 Mil down payment.

I would negotiate. Well, if you want your photo-op, help me a bit.

MarkP

New Jersey
      United States
      Member #78919
      August 24, 2009
      46 Posts
      Posted: August 27, 2009, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

One litterally has to wait a lifetime (if that....) to get a JP winning. What's the big deal about waiting 6-8 weeks more? Surely one would have enough money to buy necessities (e.g. food, water, etc) until they got their payment....

I have heard of people getting services and good with a mere copy of the winning ticket, with the promise to pay upon receipt of goods, like that guy who ODed who pissed away his lotto winnings (moron!). Got a loan just to piss it away on Vegas and he didn't even have his winning yet.

So, in short, you (and other hopefuls) will live.

dk1421's avatar - Lottery-024.jpg
        North Carolina
        United States
        Member #64582
        September 1, 2008
        347 Posts
        Posted: August 27, 2009, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

I've heard the 6-8 weeks theory too. And really - it may take you that long to get your stuff in order anyway.

But I would assume they'd give you what they can.

Oh - I hear a few days before you get your money, you have to prove that you have a bank account that can handle that amount of money.

Halle99's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
          United States
          United States
          Member #68252
          December 16, 2008
          168 Posts
          Posted: August 27, 2009, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

I am almost certain that this has been talked about at one time or another, but I can't seem to be able to find it using the search function.

Trying to decide about lump sum verses annunity and I am leaning towards the lump sum.  My question is - once I win the JP, have the financial and legal stuff in place and head off to claim my winnings, how long of a wait will I expect to get my lump sum payment?

I think I have read here that it is between 6-8 weeks to get all the money from the other states.  Does the Lottery offer an initial payment to get you started and the rest comes after this time frame is passed or do I have to wait that long to get any money?

With the annunity, I think I have heard that you get your first yearly payment at time of claim, is this still true?

Thanks

Bagent

Party

Thanks bagent for bring up the que I have been wondering the same I thought it took 6-8 weeks too but I cant find where i read it.....I hope they will give me some money( I can settle for a few thousands while I wait) when I go to claim it cos I have a bill that I have to pay soon...and ofcourse I want to go to a vacation after the win.....Good luck to all.

"Wait eagerly for the Lord, and keep to the way; God wil raise you to possess the land; you will gloat when the wicked are cut off".

Psalms 37:34

United States
            Member #61232
            May 16, 2008
            126 Posts
            Posted: August 27, 2009, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

I've heard the 6-8 weeks theory too. And really - it may take you that long to get your stuff in order anyway.

But I would assume they'd give you what they can.

Oh - I hear a few days before you get your money, you have to prove that you have a bank account that can handle that amount of money.

Just open a brokerage account at Charles Schwab or Fidelity if you don't want a financial advisor.

houston
              United States
              Member #50898
              March 19, 2007
              35 Posts
              Posted: August 27, 2009, 6:19 pm - IP Logged

dont think you would be hurting for money if you had 210 million got you on hold any one would give you credit

Bagent's avatar - avatar 10424.gif
                Vancouver, WA
                United States
                Member #53665
                July 15, 2007
                151 Posts
                Posted: August 27, 2009, 8:37 pm - IP Logged

InItAndWonIT,

I have no clue what you do for a living or what you make as an income.  For me, I work hard and still live paycheck to paycheck.  The reason for my question was to determine if I could leave my job and be able to live for the almost 2 months since there is little to no savings to speak of.

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7302 Posts
                  Posted: August 28, 2009, 10:20 am - IP Logged

InItAndWonIT,

I have no clue what you do for a living or what you make as an income.  For me, I work hard and still live paycheck to paycheck.  The reason for my question was to determine if I could leave my job and be able to live for the almost 2 months since there is little to no savings to speak of.

Some lotteries give the winner a percentage of the winnings by voucher or check while they are waiting for the big money so you might check with your state lottery, if they do it and what percentage you can get.