Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 11:40 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Another dirty little secret to consider when playing mega in NY

Topic closed. 6 replies. Last post 7 years ago by RJOh.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
ozone park
United States
Member #57042
December 15, 2007
274 Posts
Posted: August 28, 2009, 10:21 pm - IP Logged
I think I just have too much time on my hands to have to ask these questions. But anyway. I asked and now I regret it. The NYS lottery system is set up so that every terminal is autonomous from any other computer. In other words there is no one main frame computer spitting out numbers to all the terminals as people buy tickets. Each machine has a numbers generator that generates its own specific set of quick pick numbers that come out of that machine you are playing at, at the time you are playing. I always assumed that a main frame was sending numbers out to the terminals as they were requested as people were playing. So that at least if the main frame was to choose the winning quick pick combination it would be generated at the time a person was standing at any terminal as it came down the pipeline.

But this is not the case. So when playing quick picks you have to be at the right terminal at the right time at the specific terminal where the numbers generator will spit out a ticket that will have the winning combination for the drawing. Rather than going to any terminal and the numbers come down from a main frame and so at least you would have just to be at any terminal at the right time to get the winning combination. I know that it sounds better in my head and I hope that people understand what I am trying to say here. Because when I read it, it sounds confusing. But it really does make sense if you think about the point I am trying to make here. I think that this pushes the odds even more because of the fact that the terminals are autonomous of each other.

Did I make sense here? Sorry if I do not make sense to you.

United States
    Member #78968
    August 25, 2009
    49 Posts
    Posted: August 28, 2009, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

alot of people already knew

Canada
      Member #68663
      December 27, 2008
      260 Posts
      Posted: August 28, 2009, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

Regardless of which computer generated the ticket numbers, terminal or central computer, the odds remain the same. Nothing to worry about.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23259 Posts
        Posted: August 28, 2009, 10:43 pm - IP Logged
        I think I just have too much time on my hands to have to ask these questions. But anyway. I asked and now I regret it. The NYS lottery system is set up so that every terminal is autonomous from any other computer. In other words there is no one main frame computer spitting out numbers to all the terminals as people buy tickets. Each machine has a numbers generator that generates its own specific set of quick pick numbers that come out of that machine you are playing at, at the time you are playing. I always assumed that a main frame was sending numbers out to the terminals as they were requested as people were playing. So that at least if the main frame was to choose the winning quick pick combination it would be generated at the time a person was standing at any terminal as it came down the pipeline.

But this is not the case. So when playing quick picks you have to be at the right terminal at the right time at the specific terminal where the numbers generator will spit out a ticket that will have the winning combination for the drawing. Rather than going to any terminal and the numbers come down from a main frame and so at least you would have just to be at any terminal at the right time to get the winning combination. I know that it sounds better in my head and I hope that people understand what I am trying to say here. Because when I read it, it sounds confusing. But it really does make sense if you think about the point I am trying to make here. I think that this pushes the odds even more because of the fact that the terminals are autonomous of each other.

Did I make sense here? Sorry if I do not make sense to you.

The lottery terminal generates the random numbers, not a central computer.  Don't spread false information.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19816 Posts
          Posted: August 28, 2009, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

If you don't like the way terminals generate combinations, generate your own and make out play slips, that what I do.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

ozone park
            United States
            Member #57042
            December 15, 2007
            274 Posts
            Posted: August 30, 2009, 9:03 pm - IP Logged

If you read my post it said please read carefully because it could be confusing but it is factual. I stated that there is no central terminal and the tickets are drawn from each terminal autonomous from all the others and that is not good. I never said there was a central terminal. So before you criticize me read what I am saying because I have looked through NYS lotto very carefully and there are many flaws in our systems that need to be revised and yet Lotto will not change policy because it would mean more payout's than usual. This is the 2nd major flaw I have found in the lotto's policy's. The other is with their scratch off's.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19816 Posts
              Posted: August 31, 2009, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

If you read my post it said please read carefully because it could be confusing but it is factual. I stated that there is no central terminal and the tickets are drawn from each terminal autonomous from all the others and that is not good. I never said there was a central terminal. So before you criticize me read what I am saying because I have looked through NYS lotto very carefully and there are many flaws in our systems that need to be revised and yet Lotto will not change policy because it would mean more payout's than usual. This is the 2nd major flaw I have found in the lotto's policy's. The other is with their scratch off's.

The way NY pick QP lottery numbers is not unique, other states pick their QPs the same way.  The fact that players can pick any combinations within the parameters of the game means every possible combinations has a chance of being played even if they're not.  That's not a flaw, those are the rules of the games.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking