Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 11:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I have a question.

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 7 years ago by MoneyMagic.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Ashvegas
United States
Member #78306
August 11, 2009
20 Posts
Posted: September 1, 2009, 4:01 am - IP Logged

Ok i dont know if this can be answered or not.

How do they spread the top prize winning tickets? The reason I asked this is say a new game started last week and "mary" pulled a top prize  should I wait a bit before i buy more or assume there are multiple top prizes still out there to be purchased.

(I dont have a clue these are just examples)

1. they print 100000 tickets and spread the top prizes among them and just ship out the 100000 to retailers and print no more tickets

2. they plan to print 100000 tickets  so they print 10 thousand tickets and place 5 top prizes in that batch  then they print another 10k and add more prizes ...................

TIA

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
    Jacksonville Florida
    United States
    Member #23018
    October 6, 2005
    915 Posts
    Posted: September 1, 2009, 12:15 pm - IP Logged

From a previous post:

An example of how the distribution works in some of the scratch off ticket games:
    (the example below uses ficticious amounts easier to understand - there will usually be thousands of books and the prize levels, values, and numbers will differ)

Example: 1000 Total Books in a Game

Prize Level#1 ($1,000,000) - 2 prizes total:
    1 prize in books 1-500
    1 prize in books 501-1000

Prize Level#2 ($10,000) - 5 prizes total:
    1 prize in books 1-200
    1 prize in books 201-400
    1 prize in books 401-600
    1 prize in books 601-800
    1 prize in books 801-1000

Prize Level#3 ($500) - 10 prizes total:
    1 prize in books 1-100
    1 prize in books 101-200
    1 prize in books 201-300
    1 prize in books 301-400
    1 prize in books 401-500
    1 prize in books 502-600
    1 prize in books 601-700
    1 prize in books 701-800
    1 prize in books 801-900
    1 prize in books 901-1000

The lower level prizes are more numerous and you will find multiples in each book to meet the odds criteria set up by the lottery. Exactly what values, numbers, and amounts make up the lower level prizes depend on the game and the odds breakdown.

So, it is possible to get  more than one big prize in a single book (say a Prize Level#1 and a Prize Level#2) although it is statistically highly unlikely. You won't find 2 of the same Prize Level#1 in the same book because they are intentionally split between two groups of ticket books. This will also prevent the scenerio where the lottery comes out with a new game and sells out of all of the big prizes too quick. The big prizes are spaced out.

Ashvegas
      United States
      Member #78306
      August 11, 2009
      20 Posts
      Posted: September 2, 2009, 3:30 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the response I guess I missed the previous post when i searched.

MoneyMagic's avatar - money
        Bland, VA
        United States
        Member #71484
        February 26, 2009
        21 Posts
        Posted: September 2, 2009, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

Interesting. I was talking with a friend this morning about distribution of prizes.  We were thinking about the software that computes how the tickets are distributed and what cities the prizes go to. Of course it could be set up in any manner, but like you say, the prizes have to be spaced out. Any inisghts on their program? How much human involvement there is?

Also I was at the lottery claim office and mentioned to the lady "I guess you kind of like to place big prizes in small town convenience stores around the state, because it's good for everyone to see those winners and feel everyone has a chance no matter where they are."   And she smiled agreeingly. (Hopefully not indulgently.) I got the impression she's not supposed to discuss prize placement with players.

I bet the ladies who pass out the checks and see where the big winners come from have lots of theories and insight about how prizes are placed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I feel like a nut when I discuss my passion for scratch offs with ordinary people, Lottery Post is great, Great! Other people who don't think it's crazy to love scratchers! Smile