Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Computerized Drawings

Topic closed. 13 replies. Last post 7 years ago by vistaguy.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #9519
December 10, 2004
492 Posts
Posted: September 21, 2009, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

What states have computerized drawings other than TN and NJ?

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49709 Posts
    Posted: September 21, 2009, 9:43 pm - IP Logged

NJ doesn't have any Computerized Drawings!

Lots of useful Resources available on Lottery Post: You might want to Review them and see What's Here!

http://www.lotterypost.com/lottery-report-card.asp

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
      Member #75060
      May 26, 2009
      300 Posts
      Posted: September 21, 2009, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

NJ doesn't have any Computerized Drawings!

Lots of useful Resources available on Lottery Post: You might want to Review them and see What's Here!

http://www.lotterypost.com/lottery-report-card.asp

http://www.cigital.com/papers/download/developer_gambling.php

Raven, Pick4hawk sent me this link regarding computerized gambling in general. It's a very good article and makes lots of sense when you consider the factors. I suppose it can be a toss up between the two types but, I prefer the good 'ole air and ball style. Why? Computers definitely have memory and depending on how you filter, it can make or break your hit. Check it out.

'Match

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23262 Posts
        Posted: September 22, 2009, 10:58 am - IP Logged

Raven, Pick4hawk sent me this link regarding computerized gambling in general. It's a very good article and makes lots of sense when you consider the factors. I suppose it can be a toss up between the two types but, I prefer the good 'ole air and ball style. Why? Computers definitely have memory and depending on how you filter, it can make or break your hit. Check it out.

'Match

Computers do in fact have memory chips, but somehow making the leap to say that all computerized drawings "remember" the past draws and adjust future numbers because of it does not make sense, and I believe it is completely false.

I am against computerized drawings as much as anyone, but I also am not going to tell people that every computerized drawing has some kind of memory of past drawings.  That goes against everything I have learned in my research.

I do think computerized drawings are problematic because the possibility exists that they can be hacked by a computer expert without anyone learning of it.  They can (and HAVE) has ERRORS that existed for MONTHS without anyone knowing about it, so it is a simple deduction that a hacker intent on hiding their code could have their program in place without anyone knowing about it.

That is a real problem, especially compared to real ball drawings, in which problems can easily be identified and fixed by any employee with a little training.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

four4me's avatar - gate1
          MD
          United States
          Member #1701
          June 18, 2003
          8360 Posts
          Posted: September 22, 2009, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

To my knowledge the RNG is the program when it's activated the main part of the computer that is involved with generating the numbers is the math co-processor.

The math co-processor is just that a processor that computes mathematical functions it dose not have a memory per-say that detects anything other than whats asked of it in a mathematical function.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.

United States
            Member #75060
            May 26, 2009
            300 Posts
            Posted: September 22, 2009, 2:28 pm - IP Logged

Computers do in fact have memory chips, but somehow making the leap to say that all computerized drawings "remember" the past draws and adjust future numbers because of it does not make sense, and I believe it is completely false.

I am against computerized drawings as much as anyone, but I also am not going to tell people that every computerized drawing has some kind of memory of past drawings.  That goes against everything I have learned in my research.

I do think computerized drawings are problematic because the possibility exists that they can be hacked by a computer expert without anyone learning of it.  They can (and HAVE) has ERRORS that existed for MONTHS without anyone knowing about it, so it is a simple deduction that a hacker intent on hiding their code could have their program in place without anyone knowing about it.

That is a real problem, especially compared to real ball drawings, in which problems can easily be identified and fixed by any employee with a little training.

I wasn't speaking so much in terms of long term memory but, rather short term sort of like "cookies" in the PC systems which immediately recall a particular address etc. If these computer draws are similar in database then, it's very easy for one to be programmed to any such past draw which can be good and bad in its' own right. We, as humans, recall most everything which means that as computer programmers the computers can also remember because we program them.

This isn't as serious as it may be conveyed here but, I do feel it's a big problem just as you do. With the balls, there is no memory present...just air and vacuum and may the best ball be drawn. It's the way it should be.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19825 Posts
              Posted: September 22, 2009, 2:44 pm - IP Logged

I think if a lottery computer or a set of balls acted in any predictable way, some of the many players who track drawing results would notice and complain if they didn't take advantage of the situation. 

When Tennessee lottery didn't generate any doubles in its daily pick3 games after a week, players noticed  before the lottery did even though they claimed they tested and checked  their system every day.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                Member #75060
                May 26, 2009
                300 Posts
                Posted: September 22, 2009, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

I think if a lottery computer or a set of balls acted in any predictable way, some of the many players who track drawing results would notice and complain if they didn't take advantage of the situation. 

When Tennessee lottery didn't generate any doubles in its daily pick3 games after a week, players noticed  before the lottery did even though they claimed they tested and checked  their system every day.

The thing with me and computer draws is this: A guy like me, or anyone else for that matter, that spends a fair amount of money to get the type of hit desired will win but the profit is cut down. If a computer is pre-programmed to produce certain winning numbers and the person(s) who know go out and only spend $1 at $1.00 per number to get the $500 payout...tax free with nearly 100% profit.

Either this or they'll have a family member go out and purchase ticket(s) to remain inconspicuous. Now, this may be a bit on the far side of things but, it can definitely happen and it's not fair. I don't mean to beat this to death but, it just rubs me the wrong way because I do work hard to produce the hits and make the profit I do. Just my .02 cents. I'll be quiet now.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: September 22, 2009, 9:50 pm - IP Logged

It's very hard for me to believe that with the amount of BIG money available that some criminal enterprise hasn't been hard at work trying to circumvent the system to claim that big money. It would be easier for me to believe that it's been done already who knows how many times and will be done again.

If techs in China can hack into our defense department computers with ease it can not be such an insurmountable task to do the same with any kind of device the lotteries have. It may or may not require the complicity of some official or employee but we all know that money talks. Especially big money.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Horwood NL
                    Canada
                    Member #70613
                    February 6, 2009
                    296 Posts
                    Posted: September 24, 2009, 8:23 am - IP Logged

The terminal where you get your tickets is a computer. Therefore the computer knows how many times a particular number has been picked by the players of the  lottery game you are playing. So, as you can see the outcome of either the ball machines or the computers can be controlled if the lottery  corporations wanted too. We have to depend on the companies to be honest. Personaly I prefer the ball  because the balls, except for weighting, would be harder to control the outcome. Hacking or no hacking it can still be controlled.

Long Island, NY
                      United States
                      Member #57412
                      January 3, 2008
                      419 Posts
                      Posted: September 24, 2009, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

'Match

Am I the only one who considered that this (the info provided in the link above) could be altered and applied to forecast computer drawn games?

At the least....provide clues to things you could analyze to develop you're own game plan?

Horwood NL
                        Canada
                        Member #70613
                        February 6, 2009
                        296 Posts
                        Posted: September 30, 2009, 7:44 am - IP Logged

Consider the following quote from a lottery home page:
                         "FAQ. #11. What time are the draws held for jackpot and draw products?
                        Answer.. Sales for jackpot and draw products close at 10:00 pm Atlantic Time and the draws take place immediately after the sales close and are reconciled. Before the official winning numbers are communicated to the public, there is a lot of work going on in the background to confirm and validate the winning number. This verification process can take up to two hours. Once the numbers are confirmed, all media contacts are contacted and informed of the winning number."
                        What background work needs to be done to confirm ball drop numbers???

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19825 Posts
                          Posted: September 30, 2009, 8:25 am - IP Logged

Consider the following quote from a lottery home page:
                           "FAQ. #11. What time are the draws held for jackpot and draw products?
                          Answer.. Sales for jackpot and draw products close at 10:00 pm Atlantic Time and the draws take place immediately after the sales close and are reconciled. Before the official winning numbers are communicated to the public, there is a lot of work going on in the background to confirm and validate the winning number. This verification process can take up to two hours. Once the numbers are confirmed, all media contacts are contacted and informed of the winning number."
                          What background work needs to be done to confirm ball drop numbers???

In the states most drawing results are posted within 15 minutes of the drawing.  It's confirming the number of winning tickets, the payout amounts and if the jackpot will roll for another drawing that takes time.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Indiana
                            United States
                            Member #79479
                            September 2, 2009
                            42 Posts
                            Posted: September 30, 2009, 9:09 am - IP Logged

Indiana has computerized drawings that are not recorded or televised. Not sure how its done, I assume some guy sitting at his computer with a cheap random number generator program. Thats why I no longer play the Indiana Lottery. I just dont trust RNG's.