Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottomax

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Todd.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Horwood NL
Canada
Member #70613
February 6, 2009
299 Posts
Posted: September 24, 2009, 7:37 am - IP Logged

Any opinions on the new LOTTOMAX in Canada That replaces Super Seven???

The odds of winning are 85,000,000 to 1 to win the first prize. Is that a little out of line for a fifty million dollar first prize?

Disapprove

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23352 Posts
    Posted: September 24, 2009, 8:53 am - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

NY
      United States
      Member #23835
      October 16, 2005
      3502 Posts
      Posted: September 24, 2009, 10:39 am - IP Logged

What kind of odds are you expecting for a game that pays at least $10 million? Since you have to play 3 sets of numbers for $5 , the odds are about 1 in 28.6 million. That's a bit better than Powerball and MegaMillions, where $5 would get you odds of 1 in 39 and 1 in 35 million, respectively. The biggest differences are having to play at least $5 instead of having the option of just playing for $1, and collecting (I think?) a tax-free cash prize.  Compared to PB and MM, that gives you better odds at a prize that will net more than twice as much cash, for any advertised amount.

Horwood NL
        Canada
        Member #70613
        February 6, 2009
        299 Posts
        Posted: September 25, 2009, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

Sorry about the wrong post also I noted others had posted links so I thought it was OK.

As I read it, it is 85 million to 1 to win first prize or my math is very poor.

I am not familiar with power ball & mega million lotteries this is why I'm asking for opinions. It seems to me, $5 is a large investment with those odds..

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23352 Posts
          Posted: September 25, 2009, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

Sorry about the wrong post also I noted others had posted links so I thought it was OK.

As I read it, it is 85 million to 1 to win first prize or my math is very poor.

I am not familiar with power ball & mega million lotteries this is why I'm asking for opinions. It seems to me, $5 is a large investment with those odds..

For $5 you always get 3 tickets, so you do not use the odds of playing 1 ticket (1 in 85M), you would use the odds of 3 chances out of 85M possibilities, or 1 in 28,633,528.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!