Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Marked cards

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 7 years ago by PERDUE.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: September 24, 2009, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

We've often had discussions about "mistakes" when a clerk hands you a ticket.  This problem is similar, but it has happened to me a few times, so I thought I'd mention it.

Tonight I played my regular Florida Fantasy 5 numbers at a Publix supermarket.  Last time I bought advance plays to cover me for weeks, since I have an injury and can't get around too easily, but it was time for more tickets.  (I'm also going a bit crazy talking to the geckos.) Crazy

When the clerk gave me the total, I knew it was wrong.  So we looked at the bet slips and someone had marked a QP in one of the panels.  It wasn't even one of the first panels, but panel "F"  Fortunately, I only bought tickets for 5 plays, and I agreed to pay the $10 (5 plays for my number + 5 plays for the mistake)  I'm not loaded, but I was a little too suspicious to cancel it.  Stupid, maybe.  But ya never know.

She told me "someone's been messing with the cards.  This has been happening all day." 

So check the cards before you mark them.  I usually do, but I didn't catch the pencil mark in the QP box on panel F.

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: September 24, 2009, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

Don't worry, I've talked to geckos also, but they can't give me a better rate.

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      49758 Posts
      Posted: September 24, 2009, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

We've often had discussions about "mistakes" when a clerk hands you a ticket.  This problem is similar, but it has happened to me a few times, so I thought I'd mention it.

Tonight I played my regular Florida Fantasy 5 numbers at a Publix supermarket.  Last time I bought advance plays to cover me for weeks, since I have an injury and can't get around too easily, but it was time for more tickets.  (I'm also going a bit crazy talking to the geckos.) Crazy

When the clerk gave me the total, I knew it was wrong.  So we looked at the bet slips and someone had marked a QP in one of the panels.  It wasn't even one of the first panels, but panel "F"  Fortunately, I only bought tickets for 5 plays, and I agreed to pay the $10 (5 plays for my number + 5 plays for the mistake)  I'm not loaded, but I was a little too suspicious to cancel it.  Stupid, maybe.  But ya never know.

She told me "someone's been messing with the cards.  This has been happening all day." 

So check the cards before you mark them.  I usually do, but I didn't catch the pencil mark in the QP box on panel F.

If it was happening all day: You'd think the Store would Warn Customers of the problem and go thru their supply of Betslips and remove the ones that have aready been Marked!

Beware: Domestic Terrorist at Work!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: September 25, 2009, 12:20 am - IP Logged

It would be poetic justice if you hit on those QP's you didn't ask for.

Hope you'll let us know if you do.

Good luck.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10351 Posts
          Posted: September 25, 2009, 1:07 am - IP Logged

Justxploring,

At first I thought this was about playing cards, some kind of scam with marked cards or something.

As for the playslips, every so often people leave fortune cookie numbers by them,. and well, everyone here at LP knows that story, so they have to be played, right? But it's nevr worked for me and I'm starting to thin the lottery people leave them.

I've seen already filled out slips left with the other ones, but they were obvious, not quick picks, and not anything like going to "Game F" on the slip. 

I would have done exactly what you did, though, thinking "Well, maybe it's an omen".

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: September 25, 2009, 2:08 am - IP Logged

If it was happening all day: You'd think the Store would Warn Customers of the problem and go thru their supply of Betslips and remove the ones that have aready been Marked!

Beware: Domestic Terrorist at Work!

I agree.  She mentioned she had gone through some of them earlier, but the customer service counter had been busy.   It's possible he/she put some of the cards marked in the middle or the back of the pile. Maybe they should have posted a sign, but that could have confused some customers.  Next time I'll be more careful, although I always check to see if someone marked the card.  I just didn't notice that the QP box in panel F was filled in.

Just to follow up on the numbers ....  nothing.

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: September 25, 2009, 2:13 am - IP Logged

It would be poetic justice if you hit on those QP's you didn't ask for.

Hope you'll let us know if you do.

Good luck.

Thanks, but I didn't win anything, not even a free bet.   As we've discussed before, I usually play the mistakes, but I'm beginning to wonder if I should just cancel them.  In Florida you can cancel tickets before the drawing, just not Powerball.  Maybe if this happens again, I'll ask the clerk to cancel the ticket.

Joker17 - The ones in FL don't have British accents.  Big Grin  Speaking of little lizards, I just jumped when one ran across the floor.  I'm not afraid of them, but I can't get used to seeing something small and slimy when I walk into a room.  I know someone will answer "they're not slimy."   True, but try hanging onto one.   Usually they get away too fast, but the last one I caught to put outside bit me.  Ouch!  (don't worry, I washed my hands with antibacterial soap.  I know they carry salmonella)

Wandering Aimlessly
                United States
                Member #25360
                November 5, 2005
                4461 Posts
                Posted: September 25, 2009, 2:16 am - IP Logged

Justxploring,

At first I thought this was about playing cards, some kind of scam with marked cards or something.

As for the playslips, every so often people leave fortune cookie numbers by them,. and well, everyone here at LP knows that story, so they have to be played, right? But it's nevr worked for me and I'm starting to thin the lottery people leave them.

I've seen already filled out slips left with the other ones, but they were obvious, not quick picks, and not anything like going to "Game F" on the slip. 

I would have done exactly what you did, though, thinking "Well, maybe it's an omen".

Interesting conspiracy theory, Coin Toss.  I'm talking about the people who work for the Lottery leaving clues so players bet more.  Who knows? Maybe someone from the Lottery is going around marking extra boxes on the cards!  Skeptical

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
                  Member #47420
                  November 4, 2006
                  3930 Posts
                  Posted: September 25, 2009, 10:34 am - IP Logged

Like at the race track you win more by mistake or QP then you do trying to figure it out..People who make predictions and pick maybe 50 sets of numbers and hit one say  I hit I hit..If you can predict one set of numbers and hit then you done good..

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19828 Posts
                    Posted: September 25, 2009, 12:44 pm - IP Logged

Also play slips should never be marked while stacked.  I mark my slips with a Sharpie marker and sometime a mark will bleed through and mark the slip underneath.  Even though the mark may not be noticed by the player, a terminal may see it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                      West Side of Sunny Florida
                      United States
                      Member #55048
                      September 8, 2007
                      3371 Posts
                      Posted: September 26, 2009, 7:17 pm - IP Logged

Also play slips should never be marked while stacked.  I mark my slips with a Sharpie marker and sometime a mark will bleed through and mark the slip underneath.  Even though the mark may not be noticed by the player, a terminal may see it.

This happens to me ALL THE TIME.  I have given a card the had 2 3 way numbers on it for one play ($2.00) and then the machine starts kicking out TONS of tickets and it totals $20.00.  I looked at the play slip and a drop of water had hit/gotten on the "play 10" tickets box.

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                        Dump Water Florida
                        United States
                        Member #380
                        June 5, 2002
                        3104 Posts
                        Posted: September 27, 2009, 3:59 am - IP Logged

When we first moved to Florida my now ex-wife was afraid of the lizards especially the ones that sold insurance.  Anyway one got trapped in the swimming pool, kept trying to get out and falling back until she put her hand in the water to give it a lift out.  She said it sat on her hand nice as you please, then gave her a wink and jumped into the bushes.  She's liked them ever since. 

They don't have any teeth, so all they can do is give you a pinch.  Right to wash up after handling.  These days  have to call 911 if we drop an egg on the floor.

Bad ticket put back in the rack, it happens.   Keeps happening, disgruntled customer or employee causing trouble.  Fill out tickets at home, take the time to look them over.

Old scam was open a new bank account to get new blank for customer name but encoded deposit tickets in order to slip scammer's account deposit tickets in among the bank's blank counter deposit tickets, return later to empty the account.  Banks finally stopped providing blank deposit tickets at the counters.   

BobP

Monkey Butt, USA
                          United States
                          Member #54569
                          August 23, 2007
                          1124 Posts
                          Posted: September 27, 2009, 11:27 am - IP Logged

So glad you addressed this. It happens to a lot of us but we never really thought about the culprit/motive behind the marked playslip. I've seen them and usually toss them in the trash because I thought someone made a mistake and left it behind. I guess the only thing we lottery players can do is to keep extra playslips at home or in the car to reduce the chances of paying for an extra ticket and falling prey to the person(s) doing this.