Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Your Opinion is needed please!

Topic closed. 23 replies. Last post 7 years ago by LANTERN.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Long Island
Bahamas
Member #59488
March 17, 2008
1555 Posts
Posted: October 17, 2009, 11:10 am - IP Logged

If I'm posting in the wrong forum, I do trust that Todd will put it in the correct forum.

This is weighing heavy on my mind right now, and I wanted other people's views and opinion on this.

In the Bahamas it is the mindset that "playing numbers" is wrong and that you cannot be 'for God' if you do so! What are your views?  How do you feel about this?

I do believe that some of us are gifted with dreams, it may be prophetic dreams or just dreams where the numbers are just a given to play and they do fall.

I always tell people when they say to me, "I thought you were a Christian, and you playing numbers," to show me where in the bible that says "THOU SHALT NOT GAMBLE".  They tend to use the passage of Scripture where Jesus went into the temple and turned over the tables because people were casting lots and selling in His Father's House.  What I reply to them is so what makes gambling wrong and selling right? I read it to say that they were both things that should not have taken place in the Church and that there is a time and place for everything under the sun.

It amazes me of the way people see things. Playing numbers is wrong, but what about buying raffle tickets?  Isn't that a form of gambling?  Not to knock down any religion, but in the Bahamas, the Catholic big fund raisers are centered around raffles and the selling of raffle tickets, so then raffle is right and buying numbers is wrong...? Hmm...  I'm just confused and want some guidance in this.

I'm sure people will quote scriptures and I won't knock you, but what I say is whatever scripture is quoted is not only about gambling, but about our selfish greed as humans. It can mean any of the weaknesses that we as human beings struggle on a daily basis with.

I welcome all views and opinions on this.

We gat haterz everywhere we go.  No longer do I cry when fake friends say, "Goodbye!"

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
    Member #91
    January 19, 2002
    11929 Posts
    Posted: October 17, 2009, 11:45 am - IP Logged

Thou shalt not post in a lottery website, if thou is not a gambler!

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

Long Island
      Bahamas
      Member #59488
      March 17, 2008
      1555 Posts
      Posted: October 17, 2009, 11:52 am - IP Logged

LMAO, good one!!!! u have an AMEN on that one!!

We gat haterz everywhere we go.  No longer do I cry when fake friends say, "Goodbye!"

bahamablues's avatar - animal whale.jpg

Bahamas
        Member #72637
        March 23, 2009
        796 Posts
        Posted: October 17, 2009, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

I try not to get into Biblical debates with people regarding lottery, gambling, or what ever they want to call it. These debated can go on forever.

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
          Connecticut
          United States
          Member #61623
          May 29, 2008
          20581 Posts
          Posted: October 17, 2009, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

If I'm posting in the wrong forum, I do trust that Todd will put it in the correct forum.

This is weighing heavy on my mind right now, and I wanted other people's views and opinion on this.

In the Bahamas it is the mindset that "playing numbers" is wrong and that you cannot be 'for God' if you do so! What are your views?  How do you feel about this?

I do believe that some of us are gifted with dreams, it may be prophetic dreams or just dreams where the numbers are just a given to play and they do fall.

I always tell people when they say to me, "I thought you were a Christian, and you playing numbers," to show me where in the bible that says "THOU SHALT NOT GAMBLE".  They tend to use the passage of Scripture where Jesus went into the temple and turned over the tables because people were casting lots and selling in His Father's House.  What I reply to them is so what makes gambling wrong and selling right? I read it to say that they were both things that should not have taken place in the Church and that there is a time and place for everything under the sun.

It amazes me of the way people see things. Playing numbers is wrong, but what about buying raffle tickets?  Isn't that a form of gambling?  Not to knock down any religion, but in the Bahamas, the Catholic big fund raisers are centered around raffles and the selling of raffle tickets, so then raffle is right and buying numbers is wrong...? Hmm...  I'm just confused and want some guidance in this.

I'm sure people will quote scriptures and I won't knock you, but what I say is whatever scripture is quoted is not only about gambling, but about our selfish greed as humans. It can mean any of the weaknesses that we as human beings struggle on a daily basis with.

Most folks here who are religious have referred to a "hit" as a blessing......

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23262 Posts
            Posted: October 17, 2009, 12:18 pm - IP Logged

The choice of forum is fine — the only thing I would recommend doing differently in the future is to make a more descriptive Subject/Title for your post. 

Many times people don't bother reading the posts with very generic titles, like "A question for everyone" or "What do you think about this?"  You'll generate more interest by specifying a title like, "Are lotteries and gambling against the Word of God?"  (Or something like that.)

NOW THEN, I'd like to weigh-in on your topic too!

I do not believe there is anything in the Bible that says gambling is bad.  Quite the opposite!  There are references to lotteries in the Bible.  I don't remember the exact quotes off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone does.

Gambling is a form of entertainment.  And just like any other form of entertainment, it can be abused or over-done.  Alcohol can also be abused — and to much worse effects than gambling, since it can not only ruin somebody financially, but can also ruin their health.  And the Bible certainly does not "outlaw" alcohol — It would be quite difficult to take communion without it!

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
              Member #13130
              March 30, 2005
              2171 Posts
              Posted: October 17, 2009, 12:23 pm - IP Logged

What's to be confused about? People are busybody hypocrites who will happily spend any "sinful" gambling winnings you are willing to part with.

If you want to have some fun while sending them on their way, point out all the things they do that go against the rules laid out in Exodus and Leviticus.

Do a web search on "Why can't I own a Canadian" for some relevant chapters and verses.

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
              Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Jack-C's avatar - us
                San Diego, CA
                United States
                Member #61467
                May 24, 2008
                28146 Posts
                Posted: October 17, 2009, 12:31 pm - IP Logged

I don't believe that gambling is against God's laws.  But Christians are to follow man's laws when they don't conflict with God's law.  It is my understanding that in the Bahamas you are breaking the law by the lottery gambling you are doing.  You are not really playing the lottery, but placing bets with places that act like bookies.  I would be more concerned about that being against God's laws than gambling.

Jack-C's avatar - us
                  San Diego, CA
                  United States
                  Member #61467
                  May 24, 2008
                  28146 Posts
                  Posted: October 17, 2009, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

One more thing.  If you are NOT a good steward with the money you have, then I don't think gambling would be the right thing to do.  You FIRST have to be a good steward with the money that you have.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                    United States
                    Member #73904
                    April 28, 2009
                    14903 Posts
                    Posted: October 17, 2009, 1:36 pm - IP Logged

Maybe you should remind these people that are judging you what the Bible says about that.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged."

There are too many self-righteous busybodies in the world always worried and concerned about what somebody else is doing .

Sometimes you have to tell them to mind their own business.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Jack-C's avatar - us
                      San Diego, CA
                      United States
                      Member #61467
                      May 24, 2008
                      28146 Posts
                      Posted: October 17, 2009, 1:44 pm - IP Logged

Maybe you should remind these people that are judging you what the Bible says about that.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged."

There are too many self-righteous busybodies in the world always worried and concerned about what somebody else is doing .

Sometimes you have to tell them to mind their own business.

http://www.capalert.com/judgenot.htm

four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        8360 Posts
                        Posted: October 17, 2009, 1:48 pm - IP Logged
                        Gambling in general is and can become habitual and if gambling causes you to spend money you would otherwise use to pay bills, buy food, etc. and you are using that money to gamble then it can be considered sinful. If gambling rules your life and everything around you the love for money can be considered a sin.

If people gamble with their disposable money i see no reason not to do it however the church might. Even thought the church has table games etc. they make claim that they are using the proceeds to further gods church. In other words they use the money to fix/repair the church and go about doing gods work purchasing reading materials bibles etc. While some money passes hands among the congregation or group the proceeds are used to further the church.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                          Raven62's avatar - binary
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #17843
                          June 28, 2005
                          49725 Posts
                          Posted: October 17, 2009, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

If thou art a gambler, thou shalt not post religion on a lottery website!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                            Member #52345
                            May 21, 2007
                            2659 Posts
                            Posted: October 17, 2009, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

Green laughluv it ......Agree with stupid

personally Razz at all organized religion/s in general

welcome to Lottery post ..... please post again Evil Smile 

konane's avatar - wallace
                              Atlanta, GA
                              United States
                              Member #1265
                              March 13, 2003
                              3333 Posts
                              Posted: October 17, 2009, 3:21 pm - IP Logged
                              Within the structure of what's legal and lawful in your area, don't allow someone else's standards to dictate which actions are good for your own life. 

God provides people everything they need to help themselves such as dreams, hunches, visions,etc., provided they're open to receiving them.  It depends on whether someone choose to use them or not, but their choices have no bearing on your life orchoices for your own actions.  I'll paraphrase what the late Joseph Campbell said "Follow your bliss."  Good luck!

Good luck to everyone!