Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 2:39 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Pb & MM in same state...what will happen?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 7 years ago by rcbbuckeye.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Cha$e-IL's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
Chicago
United States
Member #58821
February 27, 2008
16 Posts
Posted: October 17, 2009, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

I dont think this is a good thing...I think its going to hurt PB and MM in the long run.  At first sells will be high from all the hype about it, but once players really think about the new odds and yes they will change it...It will make everyone go back to playing their state pick 6 lotto because of the odds. I know we all say were just playing for fun or are occasional players, but just the fact that we are on sites like this one mean we are serious player playing to win. Everyone wants higher jackpots, but theres a price to pay for those jackpot. The PB and MM and all lotterys for that matter is a cash cow...A dollar a week is all I'm going to spend on MM I'm tired of the suckers bet. Oh yeah and with all the lottery money going into the school fund our education system should be top notch.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: October 17, 2009, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

Whether the odds are astronomical or super-astronomical most people who play will probably still put a buck in both games I would guess.

Somebody is still going to beat the odds either way.

I think that super ultra long shot chance is worth a buck anyway.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

JonnyBgood07's avatar - Patriots logo1.jpg
      Connecticut
      United States
      Member #61623
      May 29, 2008
      20581 Posts
      Posted: October 17, 2009, 5:29 pm - IP Logged

"Pb & MM in same state...what will happen?"

..cool beans!!...one more game I won't win   woohooo

"No matter how bad things may get, I'd like to thank my middle finger

for always sticking up for me.."

Chicago
        United States
        Member #58821
        February 27, 2008
        16 Posts
        Posted: October 17, 2009, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

Whether the odds are astronomical or super-astronomical most people who play will probably still put a buck in both games I would guess.

Somebody is still going to beat the odds either way.

I think that super ultra long shot chance is worth a buck anyway.

I think so too...But I also think that it will cut down on the amount people play them...

Indiana
          United States
          Member #79479
          September 2, 2009
          42 Posts
          Posted: October 17, 2009, 8:22 pm - IP Logged

I will tell you what will happen. I will have to sneak a few extra dollars from my wife each week. We wont discuss what will happen if I get caught...

Chicago
            United States
            Member #58821
            February 27, 2008
            16 Posts
            Posted: October 17, 2009, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

I will tell you what will happen. I will have to sneak a few extra dollars from my wife each week. We wont discuss what will happen if I get caught...

But if you win...she'll be glad you were sneaky...lol

BuyLow's avatar - palm tree.jpg
              Florida
              United States
              Member #61435
              May 22, 2008
              906 Posts
              Posted: October 18, 2009, 11:53 am - IP Logged

Why will the odds change?  Unless they change the amount of numbers possible to be played what will be different except alot more people being able to buy the tickets?

Litebets27's avatar - power
                Maryland
                United States
                Member #10465
                January 14, 2005
                6065 Posts
                Posted: October 18, 2009, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

Whatever the odds are and, whatever the jackpots will be, it will still be more than I have, more than I need and less miles I'll have to travel to get Powerball.

I do enjoy playing, but, being realistic, I am a gambler on the verge of having a problem doing so. But, I proved to myself that I am capable of stopping for short periods of time. Naughty

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

elizabeth nj
                  United States
                  Member #81418
                  October 18, 2009
                  2 Posts
                  Posted: October 18, 2009, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

I agree with you.  as long as you see somebody else getting the big one, you gonna think " i have the same chance to win",   and you go to the store and put a buck in the odds.

be realistic. you can win.

xatch Party

LottoL's avatar - techno eye.jpg
                    Texas
                    United States
                    Member #33719
                    February 24, 2006
                    705 Posts
                    Posted: October 18, 2009, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

I dont think this is a good thing...I think its going to hurt PB and MM in the long run.  At first sells will be high from all the hype about it, but once players really think about the new odds and yes they will change it...It will make everyone go back to playing their state pick 6 lotto because of the odds. I know we all say were just playing for fun or are occasional players, but just the fact that we are on sites like this one mean we are serious player playing to win. Everyone wants higher jackpots, but theres a price to pay for those jackpot. The PB and MM and all lotterys for that matter is a cash cow...A dollar a week is all I'm going to spend on MM I'm tired of the suckers bet. Oh yeah and with all the lottery money going into the school fund our education system should be top notch.

This is probably a first step for ultimately merging PB & MM into a national unified lottery at some point in the future (several years down the road).  Just my opinion.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      49642 Posts
                      Posted: October 18, 2009, 10:26 pm - IP Logged

Why will the odds change?  Unless they change the amount of numbers possible to be played what will be different except alot more people being able to buy the tickets?

Because they can!

When Florida joined PowerBall the matrix was changed from 5/55 & 1/46 to 5/59 & 1/39:

It was a convenient excuse to make the game more difficult and reduce Payouts: Making the greedy rich, richer than they already are.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Pinkpansies's avatar - Lottery-050.jpg

United States
                        Member #58857
                        February 27, 2008
                        112 Posts
                        Posted: October 19, 2009, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

I predict the citizens of an official Powerball or Mega Millions state will get very mad the first time  a large jackpot gets won by a ticket sold in a competing (non Powerball or non Mega Millions) state. 

My question is if you do win, how do you claim the prize?  Have they even thought about that?  Do you have to go to an official state lottery office or can you can to your local state lottery office?

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3474 Posts
                          Posted: October 20, 2009, 2:05 am - IP Logged

"Do you have to go to an official state lottery office or can you can to your local state lottery office?"

Um, your local state lottery office *is* an official state lottery office. I don't know about all states, but at least some of them already require you to go to the main office for some jackpot wins. Whatever the requirement is in any given state, if they're already offering one of the multi-sate games is there any reason you think they'd handle the other game differently?

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
                            Member #5599
                            July 13, 2004
                            1184 Posts
                            Posted: October 24, 2009, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

Maybe this is the beginning stages of what will become a National lottery. Why carry two games when you can have one game with consistantly huge jackpots? *S*

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: October 25, 2009, 3:41 am - IP Logged

Maybe this is the beginning stages of what will become a National lottery. Why carry two games when you can have one game with consistantly huge jackpots? *S*

I've recently had a change of opinion on one national lottery versus two seperate games like PB and MM.

Barring the possibility that the two entities might go into cahoots and worsen odds, I think competition is always the better choice.

Now, being more vulnerable to the pressures of competing for lottery dollars in each state, they may actually make their respective games better for the players.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke