Welcome Guest
You last visited January 17, 2017, 7:50 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Getting a WINNING ticket back after cashing it in

Topic closed. 1 reply. Last post 7 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Indiana
United States
Member #79479
September 2, 2009
42 Posts
Posted: October 17, 2009, 8:11 pm - IP Logged

I save my winning powerball tickets and go to the store to cash them in when I get a handful. They always keep the tickets but tonight the lady asked if I wanted them back, explaining they now have to ask the customer if they want them back. There were 9 tickets total, all winners of small amounts. I said yes, collected my winnings and old tickets and left.

When i got home, I noticed I left one ticket here, so I grabbed it and went to ANOTHER store to cash it in (I was embarrassed to go back to the first store). The lady asked if i wanted to the winning ticket back, I said yes, but the second lady there grabbed the ticket, ripped it up and said they were not allowed to give back winners.

So, who is right? Am I allowed to keep the winners after they are paid or not? Since they were checked, I assume they cant be paid out again and I will toss them anyways. Just wondering if we are allowed to keep cashed in winners or not.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: October 21, 2009, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

Check with your state lottery. Most of the retailers don't even know what's going on concerning the lottery. Especially if you're going to a convenient store with a high turnover of employees. I found out the hard way on that one time.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke