Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 1:03 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you go out of state just for tickets?

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 7 years ago by pamelab.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: November 2, 2009, 3:24 am - IP Logged

I leave Tennessee to go to Virginia to get tickets due to a lack of faith in TN's computerized lottery games. It's about a 50 mile round trip that I usually do around the 1st of the month. Luckily, VA has long term multi-picks so I don't have to make the trip more often. I usually play one set of my own numbers for the month and a line of QP along with it. It's really not much of a problem once a month and my wife likes to get out in civilization once in a while anyway (we're so far back in the woods the Presbyterians handle snakes).

Do you go out of state and how far?

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
    Dallas, TX
    United States
    Member #60284
    April 12, 2008
    3856 Posts
    Posted: November 2, 2009, 5:17 am - IP Logged

I don't go too far to get my tickets. Unless of course the other state has the biggest jackpot ever, over a billion in first prize, then I'll go get me a $1 ticket.

Until then, I will try to win all the games available in my state.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: November 2, 2009, 5:57 am - IP Logged

I don't go too far to get my tickets. Unless of course the other state has the biggest jackpot ever, over a billion in first prize, then I'll go get me a $1 ticket.

Until then, I will try to win all the games available in my state.

Yeah, I'd probably stay instate too for the state games if TN had true drawings like TX. I'm just a dumb luck player and I just don't get much with these dadgum computers in TN.

But I'd probably keep going to VA for the MM anyway just to be in the action.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Milwaukee, WI
        United States
        Member #3131
        December 27, 2003
        665 Posts
        Posted: November 2, 2009, 6:18 am - IP Logged

Yes,I do.  Twice a month. It's only 80 miles down there and back.  It gives me a chance to play Mega Millions and Powerball, Wis megabucks and Illinois Lotto, and Illinois little lotto and Wis Badger 5.  So I play for multimillions 5 days a week. Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,Friday and Saturday.

The jackpots for Mega and pb are equal, Illinois lotto and Illinois little lotto are much bigger today.

Tonight I'm playing Ill Lotto for 9,500,000 cash, And Illinois little lotto for $200,000.

And Wis Supercash for $350,000, And Wis Badger 5 for $30,000.

I wouldn't go down if I had to go too far, or if the jackpots were small.

I would LOVE to play Hot Lotto, but to play that I have to drive 200 miles one way.  I did do that once, but we made that a family vacation seeing many sights along the way.

Going to Illinois gets me out of the house and out of the city, and I almost always take the back roads down there, seeing the countryside to get there.

MarkP

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
          Dallas, TX
          United States
          Member #60284
          April 12, 2008
          3856 Posts
          Posted: November 2, 2009, 7:33 am - IP Logged

Yeah, I'd probably stay instate too for the state games if TN had true drawings like TX. I'm just a dumb luck player and I just don't get much with these dadgum computers in TN.

But I'd probably keep going to VA for the MM anyway just to be in the action.

Ah, you're seeking truth. Go as far as you need to in order to find it.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            Texas
            United States
            Member #55889
            October 23, 2007
            5603 Posts
            Posted: November 2, 2009, 11:36 am - IP Logged

I leave Tennessee to go to Virginia to get tickets due to a lack of faith in TN's computerized lottery games. It's about a 50 mile round trip that I usually do around the 1st of the month. Luckily, VA has long term multi-picks so I don't have to make the trip more often. I usually play one set of my own numbers for the month and a line of QP along with it. It's really not much of a problem once a month and my wife likes to get out in civilization once in a while anyway (we're so far back in the woods the Presbyterians handle snakes).

Do you go out of state and how far?

Heck, I would pay money to see Presbyterians handle snakes. That's funny.

I have gone to OK to buy PB tics. Maybe once a year. It's about 100 miles round trip.

PB is supposed to come to TX next year so it will be nice not to travel.

djklaugh's avatar - Lottery-031.jpg
              Portland,Oregon
              United States
              Member #14387
              April 25, 2005
              229 Posts
              Posted: November 2, 2009, 12:27 pm - IP Logged

If the MM jackpot is way up there, I'll drive over to Washington to get a ticket or two. But that's not a very long drive ... from my office I can be there and back in about 30 minutes

Djklaugh

Some things have to be believed to be seen.

"I have not failed. I have just found ten thousand things that don't work".  Thomas Edison

TnTicketlosers's avatar - Lottery-065.jpg

United States
                Member #71120
                February 19, 2009
                1209 Posts
                Posted: November 2, 2009, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

I go tro Georgia at least twicw a week,the drive is about 3 hours round trip and I dont care,the winnings are worth it to me.

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
                  Member #48046
                  December 7, 2006
                  1699 Posts
                  Posted: November 2, 2009, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

I go tro Georgia at least twicw a week,the drive is about 3 hours round trip and I dont care,the winnings are worth it to me.

You should check out Fayetteville on the Tn.  /  Alabama  line.

if it's closer for you,   Wink

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                    Zeta Reticuli Star System
                    United States
                    Member #30470
                    January 17, 2006
                    10351 Posts
                    Posted: November 2, 2009, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

I don't travel out of state just to pick up Powerball tickets (I live in a MM state) but if we go to Missouri I'll buy an advanced play.

When I lived in Las Vegas since there was no lottery I'd travel to a place called Nipton in California to play the California Lottery. This was way before Primm even existed.

Primm probably killed off Nipton's lotto play but for a while there the lottery put Nipton on the map.

Primm oput up a hotel/casoino on the Nevada side of the border, and a gas mart / convenience store on the California side. Interesting because at the time the California law said yo seel lottery tickets a business had to be in its present location for five years. Primm started selling tickets the day it opened.

What?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                      Marquette, MI
                      United States
                      Member #20541
                      August 20, 2005
                      705 Posts
                      Posted: November 2, 2009, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

Not anymore.  I used to go on Powerball runs but since the odds have gone higher I have not bothered.  I have yet to buy a PB ticket with the new odds.  When PB comes to Michigan I will wait till it gets over $200 Million.  Not because less would not be nice but the odds are just getting too high.

Bondi Junction
                        Australia
                        Member #57242
                        December 24, 2007
                        1102 Posts
                        Posted: November 3, 2009, 4:08 am - IP Logged

I play the Massachusetts lottery games by subscription, I don't have to travel to buy tickets, I just buy annual subscriptions by telephone. It's very convenient.

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

Milwaukee, WI
                          United States
                          Member #3131
                          December 27, 2003
                          665 Posts
                          Posted: November 7, 2009, 2:33 am - IP Logged

I made an extra trip to Illinois this week. Little lotto got big, and lotto is huge now. Little lotto got to $625,000(I won $2), and Lotto is $10.5M.

It was a nice morning trip!

We are going to have what will probably be our last warm day of the year today, I will probably go somewhere!

MarkP

LottoPools's avatar - bee
                            Houston, TX
                            United States
                            Member #4496
                            April 29, 2004
                            71 Posts
                            Posted: November 10, 2009, 10:56 am - IP Logged

I'll run over to LA just to buy tickets when PB is high.  I only have to go a few miles over the border to hit about 3 spots.  I usually do the 20 multi draws that they allow.

Hoping TX will start selling PB tickets now that it's allowed.

Playing together to make a splash in the pool of lottery winners.  It's just a matter of time.

dallascowboyfan's avatar - tiana the-princess-and-the-frog.jpg
                              Oklahoma
                              United States
                              Member #82391
                              November 12, 2009
                              6290 Posts
                              Posted: November 12, 2009, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

Yes DH and I go to Texas to purchase their scratch off tickets, they have better scratch off games than Oklahoma it's woth the drive to us. I see Arkansa is getting bigger scratch of jackpot so we will have to add them on the next road tripWink