Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What do you invest in the lottery? (if you don't mind saying)

Topic closed. 24 replies. Last post 7 years ago by savagegoose.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
Member #47420
November 4, 2006
3930 Posts
Posted: November 3, 2009, 10:18 pm - IP Logged

rdgrnr..Can you beat Dec 4th 1940?..

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
    Illinois
    United States
    Member #82001
    November 3, 2009
    890 Posts
    Posted: November 3, 2009, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

I have on occasion wondered if maybe I spend too much on the lottery. I have however decided that I don't, in my opinion.

This month I will purchase roughly $214.00 worth of tickets in two states (TN and VA).

That comes out to roughly $7.14 a day.

This keeps me in the action for every play for all of the jackpot games in both states with a line of my own numbers and a line of quick picks in every game and with multiplier options on all that are available.

I'm not wealthy but I can well afford $7.14 a day when I consider that it's roughly equivalent to only a couple beers in a saloon or a couple cups of Starbucks coffee.

I look at it as an enjoyable hobby with the potential for a huge payoff. The enjoyment I get from it is worth much more to me than a couple beers or coffee anyway.

I spend at least a dollar a day for pick5 and sometime play bigger games only when jackpot is huge and only then a few bucks.

germantown md
      United States
      Member #64543
      August 31, 2008
      3771 Posts
      Posted: November 3, 2009, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

i put money into it cos i needed  to generate funds for some charities i do and as such since my combos hit the east coast a lot mid and eve i call folks i know to play my selected combos i provide (not daily).initial starting funds was 2g a couple states.( p- 3 games.)

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: November 4, 2009, 3:18 am - IP Logged

rdgrnr..Can you beat Dec 4th 1940?..

A tip o' the hat to ya tiggs. I always respect my elders.

I'm still an old geezer but I'll have to refer to you as the elder statesman from now on.

Let's win a big one now afore we kick the bucket!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

tiggs95's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg

United States
          Member #47420
          November 4, 2006
          3930 Posts
          Posted: November 4, 2009, 9:06 am - IP Logged

rdgrnr..Thanks..I've been trying to hit big since 1962 gambling and 1988 on the lottery..I aiways say if I did hit big on the way home after cashing my ticket I'll probably nget run over by a bus..Let's do it now!!!

Kentucky
            United States
            Member #32652
            February 14, 2006
            7295 Posts
            Posted: November 4, 2009, 10:52 am - IP Logged

I have on occasion wondered if maybe I spend too much on the lottery. I have however decided that I don't, in my opinion.

This month I will purchase roughly $214.00 worth of tickets in two states (TN and VA).

That comes out to roughly $7.14 a day.

This keeps me in the action for every play for all of the jackpot games in both states with a line of my own numbers and a line of quick picks in every game and with multiplier options on all that are available.

I'm not wealthy but I can well afford $7.14 a day when I consider that it's roughly equivalent to only a couple beers in a saloon or a couple cups of Starbucks coffee.

I look at it as an enjoyable hobby with the potential for a huge payoff. The enjoyment I get from it is worth much more to me than a couple beers or coffee anyway.

Any form of gambling can be very entertaining providing we put a realistic value on it. With the overall odds of winning something in PB and MM being around 1 out of 40, we can't realistically expect to get a return by playing $5 a drawing or $10 a week. However even knowing that our chances of hitting the jackpot are very small, we're paying a small price for a dream.

Last year when I was chasing Ohio's Rolling Cash 5 (with jackpots starting at $100,000), my average daily wager was $20 but I was also cashing tickets almost every day so my out of pocket expense was much lower. I did get lucky and hit a couple of 4 or 5s for $300 each and showed a small profit for the month and a half I played. The problem with any form of gambling is it's not very entertaining when we experience a losing streak so when my system went cold and I was only cashing for $2 or $3 on some days and nothing on others, it was no longer worth what I was spending.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19816 Posts
              Posted: November 4, 2009, 11:18 am - IP Logged

Any form of gambling can be very entertaining providing we put a realistic value on it. With the overall odds of winning something in PB and MM being around 1 out of 40, we can't realistically expect to get a return by playing $5 a drawing or $10 a week. However even knowing that our chances of hitting the jackpot are very small, we're paying a small price for a dream.

Last year when I was chasing Ohio's Rolling Cash 5 (with jackpots starting at $100,000), my average daily wager was $20 but I was also cashing tickets almost every day so my out of pocket expense was much lower. I did get lucky and hit a couple of 4 or 5s for $300 each and showed a small profit for the month and a half I played. The problem with any form of gambling is it's not very entertaining when we experience a losing streak so when my system went cold and I was only cashing for $2 or $3 on some days and nothing on others, it was no longer worth what I was spending.

When you're spending $20 a day playing a game with overall odds of 1:8.8 of winning something, if you're not winning two prizes a day then you would have to be doing something extremely wrong.  With the mostly likely prize being $1, you can expect to at least win back 10% of your money.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Kentucky
                United States
                Member #32652
                February 14, 2006
                7295 Posts
                Posted: November 4, 2009, 6:27 pm - IP Logged

When you're spending $20 a day playing a game with overall odds of 1:8.8 of winning something, if you're not winning two prizes a day then you would have to be doing something extremely wrong.  With the mostly likely prize being $1, you can expect to at least win back 10% of your money.

Maybe if I was playing 20 QPs a day, but I played a 14 number abbreviated wheel. I had a nice run consistently getting 2 or 3 numbers with an occasional 4. When the bottom fell out I was consistently matching 0 or 1 number with an occasional 2. With the exception of the number that had the most draws between its last hit or until it hit, the other 13 numbers varied every day.

As for winning a jackpot, I was only getting a 1% coverage so while not out of the question, I would have been extreme lucky. The idea was to take advantage of several 2 and 3 number matches with an occasional 4. I suppose I could have used all 39, filtered them down, but the coverage would have been much less with the 2 and 3 number matches. There are 25 combinations in a 2 if 5 of 39 number wheel and the only guarantee is one 2 number match.

NY
                  United States
                  Member #23835
                  October 16, 2005
                  3474 Posts
                  Posted: November 5, 2009, 12:35 pm - IP Logged

"I've heard the naysayers say how stupid it is to play the lottery and how it's a tax on stupid people and all that."

For some people that's eaxctly how it is. Spending too much and thinking you've got a realistic chance of getting your money back doesn't make you one of the sharper tools in the shed. Compared to other vices people spend their money on, a few bucks for lottery tickets isn't stupid at all.

As you say, a few lottery tickets doesn't cost any more than a couple of beers at a bar, but I hardly spend any money in bars. I don't smoke, either. If I did, I could easily spend $1000 or more every year, and winning would mean never being among the 1 in 3 people killed by smoking. Compared to that, spending a few bucks on the lottery to have an extremly slim chance of winning a jackpot is sheer genius.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3300 Posts
                    Posted: November 6, 2009, 4:00 pm - IP Logged

around $20 a week

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297