Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 12:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should Lottery Commissions Be Obligated To Maintain Your Anonymity?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 7 years ago by KY Floyd.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

Should big winners be anonymous?

All winners names should be anonymous [ 10 ]  [28.57%]
All winners names should be published [ 4 ]  [11.43%]
Whatever the winner requests [ 21 ]  [60.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 35 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
rdgrnr's avatar - walt
Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
United States
Member #73904
April 28, 2009
14903 Posts
Posted: December 4, 2009, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

Does the lottery have the right or duty to maintain anyone's anonymity? 

This is a tough one, balancing considerations of safety and privacy against transparency and the people's right to know.

I would like to remain anonymous as much as anyone if I won the big one but how could we let the lottery have the authority to say somebody won and we're not telling you who? If that wouldn't open the door to corruption by lottery officials I don't know what would.

As much as we dislike the idea of being "outed," don't you think it might be necessary to maintain the integrity of the whole process?

Don't we have the right to know who the winner was if only to feel assured that it wasn't some friend or relative of a lottery official that claimed the prize?

I find this to be a tough question and I don't really know what the answer should be.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10391 Posts
    Posted: December 4, 2009, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

rdgrnr,

This is a tough one indeed. I voted let everyone remain anonymous, I was going to vote whatever the winner wants, but I think the lotteries would be doing everyone a favor if they automatically were anonymous.

On the one hand, the lotteries want the publicity and they know that if all the public ever saw was "Powerball won in Wisconsin" (or wherever) people would get suspicious."Sure, the lottery is locking the money up man and publicizing non-existent jackpot winners."

On the other hand, people really do deserve privacy, especially when it comes to making a score like a jackpot.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Monkey Butt, USA
      United States
      Member #54569
      August 23, 2007
      1124 Posts
      Posted: December 4, 2009, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

This is a tough one, balancing considerations of safety and privacy against transparency and the people's right to know.

I would like to remain anonymous as much as anyone if I won the big one but how could we let the lottery have the authority to say somebody won and we're not telling you who? If that wouldn't open the door to corruption by lottery officials I don't know what would.

As much as we dislike the idea of being "outed," don't you think it might be necessary to maintain the integrity of the whole process?

Don't we have the right to know who the winner was if only to feel assured that it wasn't some friend or relative of a lottery official that claimed the prize?

I find this to be a tough question and I don't really know what the answer should be.

I believe it is the lottey's duty to maintain anyone's anonymity at the request of the winner. I believe it is the winner's right to expect their wish of anonymity to be respected.

Worrying about the possibility of corruption is the least of my worries. To me the primary concern is the possibilities of what could happen to the winner because of some greedy, selfish person who believe they are entitled to share the wealth by force.

Corruption can be exposed and prosecuted. The loss of a life is irreplaceable. The loss of a sense of security can't be regained.

My safety and the safety and well being of my loved ones takes priority over the possibility of any type of corruption that could happen.

United States
        Member #61232
        May 16, 2008
        126 Posts
        Posted: December 4, 2009, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

The lottery has the right to set whatever rules they want.  If you don't want to play (or win) by the rules then you don't have to buy a ticket.  It's that simple.

Pick3forSC's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg
          North Carolina (West of Charlotte)
          United States
          Member #1436
          April 28, 2003
          628 Posts
          Posted: December 4, 2009, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

The lottery has the right to set whatever rules they want.  If you don't want to play (or win) by the rules then you don't have to buy a ticket.  It's that simple.

I Agree!  As much as i hate too i gotta agree.

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            51131 Posts
            Posted: December 4, 2009, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

I Agree! Remain: Anonym!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
              Idaho
              United States
              Member #56506
              November 21, 2007
              6537 Posts
              Posted: December 5, 2009, 12:15 am - IP Logged

In a perfect world, it would be "Whatever the winner requests" (my answer). But, I know that isn't reality. Really though, I do wish, that more states would allow the choice of anonymity.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

NY
                United States
                Member #23835
                October 16, 2005
                3502 Posts
                Posted: December 5, 2009, 12:42 am - IP Logged

"I believe it is the lottey's duty to maintain anyone's anonymity at the request of the winner."

The  "lottery's duty"? As far as I know, the lottery's duty is to raise money for the state. Their only duty to players is to run a fair and honest game. If you're worried about your safety being endangered by having the lottery tell people that you won, don't play. That will guarantee that they don't tell anybody you won.

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
                  Member #52345
                  May 21, 2007
                  2679 Posts
                  Posted: December 5, 2009, 9:17 am - IP Logged

simple solution : rat out the ones that chose the lump sum Evil Smile

NH
                    United States
                    Member #83352
                    December 5, 2009
                    223 Posts
                    Posted: December 5, 2009, 9:01 pm - IP Logged

Names shouldn't be published unless the winners want them published. However there should be some kind of system in place where someone can obtain any/all winners names but must sign off on not making the names public unless foul play can be verified...

Milwaukee, WI
                      United States
                      Member #3131
                      December 27, 2003
                      665 Posts
                      Posted: December 8, 2009, 12:40 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't mind them publishing my name,  but give us a week to get our personal affairs in order.

MarkP

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                        Member #91
                        January 19, 2002
                        12011 Posts
                        Posted: December 10, 2009, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

I wouldn't mind them publishing my name,  but give us a week to get our personal affairs in order.

MarkP

You get anywhere from 6 to 12 months to get your affairs in order, just don' claim the ticket right away. 

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                          Member #4877
                          May 30, 2004
                          5143 Posts
                          Posted: December 15, 2009, 4:50 am - IP Logged

AS A GROUP OF late nite music "stone's">>>>only one (1) can carry a weapon!!!!!!!!!!! per D "LAW"!!!!!!!!!

our studio (place of buessinnet>>>>>>>>>>broken into several time's) we R on back side of a MAIN>>>>

STREET and pay $$$$$$$$$$$ 4 a location>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One nite last month, someone  broke into a car at our BACKDOOR @ 2:PM in the AM while we were>>>>>

try'g 2 get outta D RS >>>>>>THE DRUMMER got off several SHOT'$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

HIT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>222222222222222222222222222(result>arrest) 4 break'g / felony charge.

WE all should apply 4 a gun permit>>>>>>>>but we LIVE ina civilized part ot the CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT,<<<<<<<<<<<we travel and we must depend on other people 4 security!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happy holiday's 2 >U & UR "FAMILY"$$

PSYKOMO>>>>>2009/2010

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                            Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                            United States
                            Member #73904
                            April 28, 2009
                            14903 Posts
                            Posted: December 15, 2009, 5:32 am - IP Logged

AS A GROUP OF late nite music "stone's">>>>only one (1) can carry a weapon!!!!!!!!!!! per D "LAW"!!!!!!!!!

our studio (place of buessinnet>>>>>>>>>>broken into several time's) we R on back side of a MAIN>>>>

STREET and pay $$$$$$$$$$$ 4 a location>>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One nite last month, someone  broke into a car at our BACKDOOR @ 2:PM in the AM while we were>>>>>

try'g 2 get outta D RS >>>>>>THE DRUMMER got off several SHOT'$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

HIT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>222222222222222222222222222(result>arrest) 4 break'g / felony charge.

WE all should apply 4 a gun permit>>>>>>>>but we LIVE ina civilized part ot the CITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUT,<<<<<<<<<<<we travel and we must depend on other people 4 security!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

happy holiday's 2 >U & UR "FAMILY"$$

PSYKOMO>>>>>2009/2010

Glad you got a couple of 'em Psyko.

Self defense is always better than counting on the police. I'm strapped everywhere I go. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I never heard of that law where only one person in a band can carry but then some cities have some weird laws. Their laws are all illegal by the way, and unconstitutional. But if people don't stand up and demand their rights it'll only get worse, especially with the oppressive anti-gun government we have now.

There are four words they just can't seem to understand: "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"

Merry Christmas to you and yours Psykomo.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5143 Posts
                              Posted: December 15, 2009, 6:09 am - IP Logged

Glad you got a couple of 'em Psyko.

Self defense is always better than counting on the police. I'm strapped everywhere I go. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I never heard of that law where only one person in a band can carry but then some cities have some weird laws. Their laws are all illegal by the way, and unconstitutional. But if people don't stand up and demand their rights it'll only get worse, especially with the oppressive anti-gun government we have now.

There are four words they just can't seem to understand: "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED"

Merry Christmas to you and yours Psykomo.

PLEASE DONOT LET PSYKO GIVE WRONG IMPRESSION'SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

ONLY (ONE) OF 5 IN OUR DrumCAN "carry" BECAUSE, THAT IS THE "way" IT WAS>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>!!

we pay good money on a high rent street $4 our RCS but. OUR BACKDOOR IS on the backside of BUILD'G!

we have a key (now) 2 FRONT door!!!!!we HAVE APPLIED>>>>4 PERMIT'SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

UR CORRECT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>WE COULD USE SUM>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>ak'sssssss!

THANK'S

psykomo