Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:44 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When To Play The Lottery

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 7 years ago by jacal5.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
sunjune6's avatar - Lottery-010.jpg
Atlanta,GA
United States
Member #79429
September 1, 2009
103 Posts
Posted: December 8, 2009, 3:19 pm - IP Logged

Why is it that some people play the lottery when the jackpot is ooooooooooooooh so high? When the jackpot is only a few millions there is no interest. WHY? I wonder do they think that their chances are better when the jackpot is hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh; rather than just high.

I have often wondered about the logic. My wife is the same way; in that she has to play when the jackpot is over 50 millions, but she can pass it up when it is only 10 or 15 millions.

I can remember when people would line around a business two or three deep to buy a ticket if the jackpot goes over 30 millions; now people don't think that's enough to bother even buying a ticket to try and win. WHY? What's the logic?

Eventually, the 100 millions jackpot will be treated the same as the 10 and 15 millions a few years ago. Maybe after it happens so often it becomes common place; so it's no big thing.

What do you think?

If you think you can or if you think you can't you are right!

Today could be the day!

Sunny California
    United States
    Member #40295
    May 31, 2006
    7712 Posts
    Posted: December 8, 2009, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

I don't get it either. When you win one of those monstrosity's they take most of it in taxes anyway. You really do have to win hundreds of millions to come away with anything big. 

30 million is nothing to sneeze at but I suppose (as you implied with the 100 million jackpots) that people are used to seeing jackpots that high on a regular basis so it doesn't seem anything special. 

Well,none of it's really special, is it?..........unless you're the one winning it, of course! lol 

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
      Idaho
      United States
      Member #56506
      November 21, 2007
      6537 Posts
      Posted: December 8, 2009, 4:44 pm - IP Logged

I play no matter the size of the jackpot. I would love to win a $20 million jackpot or a $100 million dollar one. Makes no difference. I think some people may wait till the jackpot gets high, because they figure the odds are huge to begin with so they might as well save their money for the big one.

Me, I just want to win a jackpot of any size, so I try play each drawing.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10344 Posts
        Posted: December 8, 2009, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

sunjune6,

"Why is it that some people play the lottery when the jackpot isooooooooooooooh so high? When the jackpot is only a few millions thereis no interest. WHY? I wonder do they think that their chances arebetter when the jackpot is hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh; rather than just high."

Greed. Not only do they want to win the jackpot, they want others to have built it up for them.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

South Florida
          United States
          Member #82132
          November 6, 2009
          112 Posts
          Posted: December 8, 2009, 5:00 pm - IP Logged

I don't get it either. When you win one of those monstrosity's they take most of it in taxes anyway. You really do have to win hundreds of millions to come away with anything big. 

30 million is nothing to sneeze at but I suppose (as you implied with the 100 million jackpots) that people are used to seeing jackpots that high on a regular basis so it doesn't seem anything special. 

Well,none of it's really special, is it?..........unless you're the one winning it, of course! lol 

Depends on where you live. Down here there's no state income tax so our jackpot winnings only get a federal hair cut. Winning $5mil and keeping 65% ($3,250,000) isn't too bad.

I used to be like the majority and only played when the prize pools grew extremely large. But now I'd play any jackpot game regardless of the size. If you guys had endured anywhere near as many capital losses in the stock market over the past 2 years as I have, you wouldn't really be too concerned about how much jackpot money you'd be losing to taxes, since a significant portion of that would be offset by capital loss credits.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19816 Posts
            Posted: December 8, 2009, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

sunjune6,

"Why is it that some people play the lottery when the jackpot isooooooooooooooh so high? When the jackpot is only a few millions thereis no interest. WHY? I wonder do they think that their chances arebetter when the jackpot is hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh; rather than just high."

Greed. Not only do they want to win the jackpot, they want others to have built it up for them.

Those players who buy tickets when the jackpot is low aren't trying to build it us for those who only play when it gets big but are trying to win it while it's small.  The fact that they couldn't beat the odds just makes it better for those who chose to wait for the jackpot to grow, they had the same choice but decided not to wait.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: December 8, 2009, 5:57 pm - IP Logged

Good question Sunjune. I've always wondered the same thing myself. A couple bucks for a chance at 10 mill is just as good to me as a couple bucks for 100 mill. It's all big bucks and would be life altering for sure.

When you think about the logic of waiting for a "big pot" it sounds like you think just a few million is chump change or something. Even when they start out at the lowest jackpot after somebody wins, the least you'll get is a few million even after taxes. How could that not be worth spending couple bucks on it?

I'm in for a couple bucks every draw on PB and MM both. One line "mine" and one line QP.

I might be a dead and bloated rotting corpse before my numbers come in but the last guy who won could have been too.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Milwaukee, WI
                United States
                Member #3131
                December 27, 2003
                665 Posts
                Posted: December 9, 2009, 7:50 am - IP Logged

WHY? I wonder do they think that their chances are better when the jackpot is hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh; rather than just high.

I play lighter when the jackpot is lower. And more when it is higher.

Your odds are exactly the same no matter if the jackpot is high or low.(terrible). Unless you are playing more tickets.

It just makes the gamble more worth it...

I always play SOMETHING, it might be $1 on a low jackpot and $10 on a higher jackpot.

It's all relative to the game, if Wis Badger 5 is $10,000 I will play $1. If it goes to $200,000 I might play $10.

MarkP

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7295 Posts
                  Posted: December 9, 2009, 9:38 am - IP Logged

Those players who buy tickets when the jackpot is low aren't trying to build it us for those who only play when it gets big but are trying to win it while it's small.  The fact that they couldn't beat the odds just makes it better for those who chose to wait for the jackpot to grow, they had the same choice but decided not to wait.

I don't think they choose to wait; they just don't play very often but will spend a buck or two when they see $100 million plus cash jackpots.

The first of the year in many states, players can play for a minimum of $12 million four days a week. Depending on how much they'll spend each drawing that could be an expensive hobby. It's going to be interesting to see how much the volume of play rises when those part-time players see when one or both jackpots are very high.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3300 Posts
                    Posted: December 9, 2009, 10:03 am - IP Logged

its a matter of how much they want to spend. i play a 6 /38 game where odds are 1 in 2,2 mill

jckpots start off t around 50k , now  when ut gets jackpotted to 1 mill i bregular buy $15 a week

im not saying a $50k win isnt worth $15 a week. but weeks of losing $15 e time sure makes me prioratisae my gambling money.

i ALLAYS PUT AN ENTRY IN EVERY DRAW

even just a buck, if theres a lotto draw i play in it

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                      Northern Virginia
                      United States
                      Member #83350
                      December 5, 2009
                      1313 Posts
                      Posted: December 9, 2009, 5:22 pm - IP Logged

Before Powerball and Mega Millions, I think $4 million was a very large lottery prize. It was probably quite rare for any lottery to reach a $10 million jackpot. 

Some state lottery games' jackpots actually get higher than the lowest starting jackpots of Powerball and Mega Millions. I see this happen on a regular basis with California's state lottery. California's Super Lotto Plus jackpot is currently 36.0 million, which is higher than the jackpots that Powerball and Mega Millions offer when someone has just won. The odds are probably better too.

I usually play the Pick-3 because the prize payouts are pretty fair (you get, in dollars, half of the odds.) With Mega Millions the payouts are very unfair ($150 for 3 + a bonus ball, odds 1 in 13,781?) Playing Mega Millions when the jackpot is $176 million makes the winnings comparable to the odds of winning, and so I find that a generous payout.

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

cheryl59's avatar - center
                        Va Beach
                        United States
                        Member #46651
                        September 20, 2006
                        1856 Posts
                        Posted: December 9, 2009, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

That is a good question... I have 3 pools I am in charge of on  my job (powerball, and 2 Mega Pools) and it never ceases to amaze me on the the number of times people that are not in my pools,  beg to play with my groups when the lotto's  are HIGH... )  I would be just as happy if to win 2 million or 100 million.... go figure?

CHERYL59Hippy

01-02-03-04-05

My Ultimate Pet numbers

South Florida
                          United States
                          Member #82132
                          November 6, 2009
                          112 Posts
                          Posted: December 9, 2009, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

If you're in a pool with 19 other people and you win and split 2 million, after taxes that's "only" around $65,000 a head...not including state income tax if you have one.

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                            CA
                            United States
                            Member #57222
                            December 23, 2007
                            587 Posts
                            Posted: December 10, 2009, 8:36 am - IP Logged

I play nomatter what the size.  The only time I MAY not play would be if someone had won the jackpot two days before and it goes back to the original amount.  But not becuase of the small amoung but becuase I doubt if California will allow two jackpots in a row.  I've seen Fantasy Five win more than two or even three times in a row  but never Super Lotto.  Im not sure if any state has ever allowed it.  But I could be wrong.  I look at Florida and texas every once in a while (not sure why) and can't recall consecutive jackpot winners- once large, one small of course.   

I don't care how large or small the jackpot is.  I would love to win even a million dollars right now.  Even a half million would help a bit.  I notice that other states even have the large scratch off tickets (that may cost $10 or $20) that you get immediately  but California has 1 $750k ticket that cost $5, and it pays in a 25 year installment. What's that about?  Maybe if they stop paying their executives  in excess of $200k in salaries, they'll have enough to have more winners and cause more people to play.

Georgia
                              United States
                              Member #79361
                              August 30, 2009
                              93 Posts
                              Posted: December 10, 2009, 8:54 am - IP Logged

I play nomatter what the size.  The only time I MAY not play would be if someone had won the jackpot two days before and it goes back to the original amount.  But not becuase of the small amoung but becuase I doubt if California will allow two jackpots in a row.  I've seen Fantasy Five win more than two or even three times in a row  but never Super Lotto.  Im not sure if any state has ever allowed it.  But I could be wrong.  I look at Florida and texas every once in a while (not sure why) and can't recall consecutive jackpot winners- once large, one small of course.   

I don't care how large or small the jackpot is.  I would love to win even a million dollars right now.  Even a half million would help a bit.  I notice that other states even have the large scratch off tickets (that may cost $10 or $20) that you get immediately  but California has 1 $750k ticket that cost $5, and it pays in a 25 year installment. What's that about?  Maybe if they stop paying their executives  in excess of $200k in salaries, they'll have enough to have more winners and cause more people to play.

What do you mean "I doubt if California will allow two jackpots in a row"?

What can they do about it?

If someone has a winning ticket, they have to honor it.

I have seen Georgia with 3 jackpots in a row for fantasy 5.