Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 1:24 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How Do I Enable Install Shield?

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 7 years ago by joker17.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Play4Keeps's avatar - 656f0b5f5f1f6b58
End Of The Rainbow
United States
Member #67807
December 5, 2008
489 Posts
Posted: December 8, 2009, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

Hey Everyone!

I know that this is not lottery related, but, I'm at my wits end.

Today, I received an air card for my desktop Dimension 5150 Dell computer.  Sun Smiley

I plugged it into one of the USB ports. Thumbs Up

The 'Found New Hardware Wizard' pops up and indicates that it cannot find the software to install the air card.  What?

I called the company that sent the air card and they told me that the software is within the air card itself; my computer isn't seeing the software. 

They guided me through the setup process and that's when we discovered that the 'install shield' is disabled. The 'Found New Hardware Wizard' pop-up window asks me if I want to connect to the internet to find the required software and I clicked 'yes'.  Type

Right after I clicked on 'yes' and then clicked 'next', the pop-up window disappears.

The tech told me to hold on, he'd be right back. When he came back, he said that he had never heard of this problem, but, another tech he spoke with said that there was nothing wrong with the air card. The problem is with the computer settings.

They gave me Dell's telephone number and I called them, only to discover that my warranty had expired 6 months ago and if I wanted their help....I'd have to pay $49.00 to begin, and depending on how long it took, there may be other charges. 

Rant

I truly would appreciate any help at all. Does anyone here know how to enable the install shield?

Sincerely,

Sandra

In Everything You Do.....PLAY 4 KEEPS!

Lots of luck, everyone!!

United States
    Member #75358
    June 1, 2009
    5345 Posts
    Posted: December 8, 2009, 5:31 pm - IP Logged

Have you tried updating the installshield software? That may be the problem. Sometimes an old version may need an update to work properly. I'm no computer expert whatsoever, but it can't hurt to give it a try.

If that doesen't work, you may want to uninstall the program (software) and reinstall it.

EDIT: Try to find the update yourself by going on the net, instead of through the pop-ups.

United States
      Member #75358
      June 1, 2009
      5345 Posts
      Posted: December 8, 2009, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

Also, how old is your computer?

I ask this because before I bought my new laptop a few months ago, I bought headphones with a USB plug for my old laptop and the Radio Shack employee said that all I had to do is plug it in and my laptop would recognize it, and that's all I needed. Unfortunately, after many attempts, it never worked. It turned out that my computer was too old for it to recognize this new type of headphone USB type feature. Coincidently, my laptop died the next day which forced me to buy a new one, and the headphones worked as soon as I plugged them in.

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
        Tx
        United States
        Member #4570
        May 4, 2004
        5180 Posts
        Posted: December 8, 2009, 8:59 pm - IP Logged

Install shield seems to be software that is used for the installation of software-programs, it is a installer.

It is not on a Pc's computer, but it is part of software and it is used for the installation of such software.

I really don't know, but that installer might make use of Windows Installer, which it is a part of the Windows Operating System.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4&displaylang=en

There might be a way or ways of preventing programs that make use of Windows Installer from Installing and also you might need to log in as administrator of your Pc.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175
        --------------------

Try Start-Run-type SFC /SCANNOW. It should replace/repair any missing or corrupted file
        . You will need the XP CD. Space between C and /.
        ------------------------------

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

End Of The Rainbow
          United States
          Member #67807
          December 5, 2008
          489 Posts
          Posted: December 8, 2009, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

Have you tried updating the installshield software? That may be the problem. Sometimes an old version may need an update to work properly. I'm no computer expert whatsoever, but it can't hurt to give it a try.

If that doesen't work, you may want to uninstall the program (software) and reinstall it.

EDIT: Try to find the update yourself by going on the net, instead of through the pop-ups.

Hi, Joker17:

Thank you for the help.

My computer is about 4 years old, at this point.

I don't know how to update the InstallShield software. And on another note, I bought my desktop through a rent-to-own business and it didn't come with a Windows Xp Disk.

I'm thinking of getting a new one that would have all of the software with it. At the time I bought the computer, I never thought about the systems disc or the drivers disc.

About a year after I bought the computer, an issue arose that required the drivers disc. I nearly had to beg to get that one.

So, lesson learned....make sure that I have all the necessary discs when buying a computer!

Sincerely,

Sandra

Lots of luck, everyone!!

End Of The Rainbow
            United States
            Member #67807
            December 5, 2008
            489 Posts
            Posted: December 8, 2009, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

Install shield seems to be software that is used for the installation of software-programs, it is a installer.

It is not on a Pc's computer, but it is part of software and it is used for the installation of such software.

I really don't know, but that installer might make use of Windows Installer, which it is a part of the Windows Operating System.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5a58b56f-60b6-4412-95b9-54d056d6f9f4&displaylang=en

There might be a way or ways of preventing programs that make use of Windows Installer from Installing and also you might need to log in as administrator of your Pc.

--------------------

Try Start-Run-type SFC /SCANNOW. It should replace/repair any missing or corrupted file
            . You will need the XP CD. Space between C and /.
            ------------------------------

Hey, Lantern:

Thank you very much for the help.

When I bought the computer through a rent-to-own business it didn't come with any discs, and being computer illiterate, I never thought of them. Don't ask me why.

A little while later, I did manage to obtain the drivers disc from Dell. I wish I'd thought to get the Operating Systems Disc....but, I didn't.

Like I wrote to Joker above....I'm really thinking of getting another computer. This one has so many issues now it isn't even funny.

Many Thanks,

Sandra

Lots of luck, everyone!!

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
              Tx
              United States
              Member #4570
              May 4, 2004
              5180 Posts
              Posted: December 8, 2009, 9:45 pm - IP Logged

Hey, Lantern:

Thank you very much for the help.

When I bought the computer through a rent-to-own business it didn't come with any discs, and being computer illiterate, I never thought of them. Don't ask me why.

A little while later, I did manage to obtain the drivers disc from Dell. I wish I'd thought to get the Operating Systems Disc....but, I didn't.

Like I wrote to Joker above....I'm really thinking of getting another computer. This one has so many issues now it isn't even funny.

Many Thanks,

Sandra

Sandra

Look at that:

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

Raven62's avatar - binary
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                49835 Posts
                Posted: December 8, 2009, 10:36 pm - IP Logged

Hey Everyone!

I know that this is not lottery related, but, I'm at my wits end.

Today, I received an air card for my desktop Dimension 5150 Dell computer.  Sun Smiley

I plugged it into one of the USB ports. Thumbs Up

The 'Found New Hardware Wizard' pops up and indicates that it cannot find the software to install the air card.  What?

I called the company that sent the air card and they told me that the software is within the air card itself; my computer isn't seeing the software. 

They guided me through the setup process and that's when we discovered that the 'install shield' is disabled. The 'Found New Hardware Wizard' pop-up window asks me if I want to connect to the internet to find the required software and I clicked 'yes'.  Type

Right after I clicked on 'yes' and then clicked 'next', the pop-up window disappears.

The tech told me to hold on, he'd be right back. When he came back, he said that he had never heard of this problem, but, another tech he spoke with said that there was nothing wrong with the air card. The problem is with the computer settings.

They gave me Dell's telephone number and I called them, only to discover that my warranty had expired 6 months ago and if I wanted their help....I'd have to pay $49.00 to begin, and depending on how long it took, there may be other charges. 

Rant

I truly would appreciate any help at all. Does anyone here know how to enable the install shield?

Sincerely,

Sandra

"The 'Found New Hardware Wizard' pops up and indicates that it cannot find the software to install the air card."

You won't be able to use the card until you satisfy the Hardware Wizards request for Drivers for the card. Apparently the card is newer than the Operating System you are using which doesn't include the required Drivers for the Card. (You will have to obtain and add the Drivers)

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
                  Member #75358
                  June 1, 2009
                  5345 Posts
                  Posted: December 9, 2009, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

Hi, Joker17:

Thank you for the help.

My computer is about 4 years old, at this point.

I don't know how to update the InstallShield software. And on another note, I bought my desktop through a rent-to-own business and it didn't come with a Windows Xp Disk.

I'm thinking of getting a new one that would have all of the software with it. At the time I bought the computer, I never thought about the systems disc or the drivers disc.

About a year after I bought the computer, an issue arose that required the drivers disc. I nearly had to beg to get that one.

So, lesson learned....make sure that I have all the necessary discs when buying a computer!

Sincerely,

Sandra

Funny you should say this. I have two dead laptops in my closet that I bought from a rent-to-own place.

I finally decided I had to have a brand new Laptop. I found one last promotional Toshiba at Walmart for only 348 bucks. It's a true-brite 17 inch screen. Unheard of for that price.