Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 3:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

When a set series wins, do you play or move on?

Topic closed. 3 replies. Last post 7 years ago by jwhou.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
A long and winding road
United States
Member #17084
June 10, 2005
4580 Posts
Posted: December 10, 2009, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

Recently stopped by a Mom and Pops shop. The place was abuzz because they just had two instant claims winners. One for 1k another for 5k. People stood in line to get that series that  the winning tickets came from. I stood there in sheer awe at the stupidity of such folks. Statistically a 1k ticket hits once every 13 thousand tickets, the 5k Ticket is won once every 550 thousand tickets on average for that game. SO why in gods name when its a packet of 100 tickets that already had the big winners do folks automatically assume its a Lucky series to play?? I personally find out which ones were recently hit for $100 and above at that store, and make SURE NOT to play it. The odds are definitely against me to pull a rabbit out of that batch. I even remarked to a fellow player and he gave that *Huh?* How can you possibly be a non beleiver of that game ? I said I'm not. I'm a non beleiver that there is another 1k or 5 k winner in that packet! SO pick a set of instants that hasnt paid out yet. I even show folks a map of our state and say- okay there are 9 winners left, and geographically speaking they are spread out amoung 10 thousand retailers, and you think they dropped those 9 winning tickets at this store? People just dont get it. But then these are the same folks that have plastic pink flamingo in their garden and they are not a native bird in our state :)

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
    Illinois
    United States
    Member #82001
    November 3, 2009
    890 Posts
    Posted: December 10, 2009, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

I think that would be a great marketing ploy to "seed" a location with a big winner and have people flock to that area like lemmings tossing their money away.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
      A long and winding road
      United States
      Member #17084
      June 10, 2005
      4580 Posts
      Posted: December 11, 2009, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

yes thats the concept I was trying to get across!!! Thanks for helping with that! Seeding a location aint gonna happen. Which is why its soo frustrating to talk common sense sometimes to folks.

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

pa:888,4445,6132,4444,8008

United States
        Member #83701
        December 13, 2009
        225 Posts
        Posted: December 13, 2009, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

I think the issue is how the tickets are printed.   With most packs having nothing but the minimum guaranteed amount of prizes, those are printed in bulk with a select few being diverted for additional wins to be added.  For economy sake, the fewer packs you divert for additional prizes, the lower your costs so the printing company is going to try and put as many winning tickets onto the same pack as the contract will allow.   This results in hot packs and cold packs which are shuffled before distribution so the only way to identify a hot pack is by observing actual wins.   Chances are the contract will divide the prizes into tiers with different requirements to the printer for the respective tiers, the low tiered prizes are probably expected to be as evenly distributed as possible and are probably what guarantees the minimum prize amount per pack hence allowed to be reallocated as needed to meet the contract, the mid tiered prizes are probably the ones that the printer has the most leeway in combining to save on costs while I suspect that top tier prize distribution clauses are probably very specific.

This is probably what's behind the myth of the black L mark.   Those are alignment marks for the printing presses and a L in a corner would indicate that it was in the corner, hence edge of a sheet or at least edge of an alignment grid.   The print dies at the edge of a sheet are the easiest to access for modification and as each sheet are folded and cut into several packs, the assumption is that once the packs are separated from each other, they can be randomly shuffled before shipment, the pack numbers having been algorithmically assigned prior to the assignment to the printing die so as to avoid identification of the higher paying packs by pack number. 

I suppose that if the ticket has or is from the same pack as one that has a "L" or "|" mark then it is on the edge of a sheet.   If it has or is from the same pack as a ticket that only has the "-" mark then it's definitely not from the edge of a sheet.   If it has no mark and is not from a pack with marked tickets then it's origin is unknown unless you bought the entire pack in which case there should be some tickets with horizontal marks.

However I suspect that diverting packs cut from the edge to be unlikely, it would be easier to simply print entire sheets of the hot packs and then shuffle them with the rest of the packs.   But it is conceivable that the sheet stamps for the hot packs are smaller or require more careful alignment hence tend to have more alignment marks.

Of course, with concepts such as inkjet printers, these idiosyncracies of the printing process are probably going to go away in time.   However, the printing presses are very expensive and the qualification and acceptance of new equipment is very slow so we may still be able to take advantage of how they print the tickets if only we knew how they did it.

Maybe someone here might have some inside knowledge of how the tickets are printed and can comment.

Maybe people can post about whether or not their tickets were on the edge or not and their respective prize amounts if any so that we can benefit from a greater pool of observations.   I have scans of all my tickets so my data for the Texas Lottery is as follows (note, I really didn't start playing till I got the $1,000 hit):

----------------------------------------------

$500,000,000 BlockBuster 1114

----------------------------------------------

Non-Edge

5x losing tickets

2x $20

1x $25

1x $30

Edge

16x losing tickets

4x $20

1x $25