Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 7:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lottery Jackpot: Etiquette for Becoming Embarrassingly Rich

Topic closed. 18 replies. Last post 7 years ago by jwhou.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
jimjwright's avatar - Yellow 3.png
Park City, UT
United States
Member #69864
January 18, 2009
993 Posts
Posted: December 13, 2009, 11:33 pm - IP Logged

Perhaps, chance (bonne chance) or luck is just a fool's word for fate ???

EddessaKnight Sun Smiley

"I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it. "
-Thomas Jefferson

Jimmy

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: December 14, 2009, 2:05 am - IP Logged

Not to be cynical, but overly courteous people pleasers take notice:

You will never be loved if you can’t risk being disliked.....

Good Weekend Wishes,

EddessaKnight Sun Smiley

I've heard that a pompous, holier-than-thou attitude doesn't help much either.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

eddessaknight's avatar - nw paladin.jpg
      LAS VEGAS
      United States
      Member #47729
      November 22, 2006
      4495 Posts
      Posted: December 14, 2009, 3:49 pm - IP Logged

Consider: that we maybe entering a world where players just aren't interested in whether something is true or not,            or whether they believe it or not, but whether it simply works!

May Fortuna smile upon on all-

EdessaKnight 
       Sun Smiley

United States
        Member #83701
        December 13, 2009
        225 Posts
        Posted: December 24, 2009, 4:07 pm - IP Logged

Enjoy Miss Manners Q & A : Etiquette for Becoming Embarrassingly Rich

No Worries

EddessaKnight Sun Smiley

Dear Miss Manners,
        Some friends and I were discussing what we would do in the unlikely event that any of us won the lottery, and find we need to appeal to you on one major question that came up. What is the etiquette involved in suddenly becoming embarrassingly rich?

Of course, we all agreed that none of us would flaunt it, but the fact remains that, even if one accepted the winnings anonymously, one would have a moral responsibility to use large portions of the winnings to help out friends, relatives and charities. It would be impossible, in that case, to hide the fact that one had "come into" a bit of money.

How does one politely refuse to divulge the exact amount of winnings received? Or for that matter, the amounts given to various people and causes, or even the amount of winnings currently remaining? How does one politely refuse to become a fairy godmother to everybody and their sister? If one wishes to, say, fund the college education of a cousin's three children, is it necessary to gift an equal amount of money to the comfortably well-off cousin's childless sibling? Is it possible to give money to charities and not have them hound you for the rest of your life?

These are burning questions to which we all hope to need the answers soon.

Gentle Reader,
        Ah, yes, the curse of the newly rich: Everyone you know turns competitively greedy; you have a load of new security worries; and you suspect that no one really loves you for yourself.

But then you would be able to buy that dream thingamabob.

No. At least not yet. Not unless you want everyone to go around saying, "Have you seen that thingamabob of hers? Do you know what that cost? And here she's grudging me the little house I need to put a roof over my children's heads."

Still want to win?

Miss Manners was afraid of that.

Change your name to Anonymous. Not only in requesting anonymity from the lottery itself, but from the charities you support.

Do not blow your cover by shouting from the rooftops. Or by changing your life dramatically.

By all means, help your friends and relatives, but do so on an irregular, spaced schedule, so they don't see the pattern. Tell each one that you have "come into a little money" (if pressed, you can say that an investment paid off, as indeed your expenditure for the lottery ticket would have) and ask them not to talk about it.

When it gets out that you won the lottery -- as indeed it will because none of the above strategies will work -- say that you have hired a financial advisor who has put you on a strict budget, so that you do not have funds available for everything everyone suggests. This will be true, as hiring that person is the very first thing you should do.

I would add that you may want to hire two independent financial advisors to audit each other and a private investigator to make certain they are not colluding.