Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 9:32 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Do you guys think the mega millions and maybe powerball is rigged?

Topic closed. 29 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Stack47.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3475 Posts
Posted: December 27, 2009, 9:48 am - IP Logged

The odds of all odd or all even is about 1 in 77.7, so the chances of all odd followed by all even is 1 in (77.7 * 77.7), or 1 in 6037. Of course that's for 2 specific back to back drawings. The odds of having two back to back odd/even drawings during any given month is much higher, since there are 7 or 8 drawings for it to start,  and you'd presumably find it just as unusual if the all even result came first.

If you think that odds of 1 in 6000 are steep, compare it to the 1 in 30,625 trillion odds of any two of the back to back results that didn't raise questions.

NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3475 Posts
    Posted: December 27, 2009, 9:51 am - IP Logged

The exact odds are available on every state lottery website, and a few thousand other places online, as well as on the back of the playslips. The number of states can be found on the official websites for each game, as well as a bunch of other places. As for when the odds favor the players, I guess that depends on what you mean. When players buy more than half of the possible combinations the most likely result is that somebody will win. That happens on rare occasions when the jackpot rolls for about 15 drawings.  OTOH, since the game only pays out 50 cents for every dollar wagered by players it's also reasonable to conclude that the odds never favor the players. They definitely never favor any individual player.

United States
      Member #9579
      December 12, 2004
      2121 Posts
      Posted: December 27, 2009, 11:25 am - IP Logged

yes,i think the lotteries are rigged to a certain extent.that's so they never have like 20 winners of top payoff a drawing,or 100 million $3.00 winners as it would bankrupt the lottery.i think they dish out just enough small wins to keep everyone interested.sort of like congress not giving social security any cola raise,and then voting themselves a big $9,000 per year raise,stinks but what can we do.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: December 27, 2009, 7:49 pm - IP Logged

yes,i think the lotteries are rigged to a certain extent.that's so they never have like 20 winners of top payoff a drawing,or 100 million $3.00 winners as it would bankrupt the lottery.i think they dish out just enough small wins to keep everyone interested.sort of like congress not giving social security any cola raise,and then voting themselves a big $9,000 per year raise,stinks but what can we do.

We can vote them all out, that's what we can do. It'll get harder to do though the longer we wait, with massive government expansion and more and more people feeding at the public trough. We have to start in the 2010 midterm elections. Throw 'em all out!

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Memphis, TN
          United States
          Member #84376
          December 27, 2009
          2 Posts
          Posted: December 27, 2009, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

No, it's not rigged. It doesn't have to be. The odds are so slim that it's rendered unnecessary. I wrote a little program a couple of weeks back that simulates buying 5,000,000 powerball tickets for a single draw and the return in winnings is usually around nine percent. If it hits five white balls, the return is twelve percent. Trust the math, when they have to pay out the jackpot after someone finally wins, it's not impacting their bottom line. The game is so in their favor that the risking being caught rigging the game through cheating is just not worth it.

Also, buying tickets with powerplay is basically burning money. The only way one can get a return on investment is only with the jackpot itself, and that's what you should be aiming for.

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3475 Posts
            Posted: December 28, 2009, 4:43 am - IP Logged

We can vote them all out, that's what we can do. It'll get harder to do though the longer we wait, with massive government expansion and more and more people feeding at the public trough. We have to start in the 2010 midterm elections. Throw 'em all out!

What kind of congress can you expect when they're elected by people who think the lottery needs to be rigged in order to keep 100 million people from all beating odds of 1 in 141?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: December 28, 2009, 9:08 am - IP Logged

What kind of congress can you expect when they're elected by people who think the lottery needs to be rigged in order to keep 100 million people from all beating odds of 1 in 141?

That's an excellent point Floyd. The core problem there is so-called social agencies such as ACORN rounding up people who wouldn't otherwise vote in numbers sufficient to throw an election. Then when the beneficiary of that election funds that agency with taxpayer dollars in an entrenchment effort it exacerbates the problem exponentially.

That's why anyone who truly cares about this country has to get involved and act now.

An apathetic electorate will soon find a government boot on it's neck.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
                Member #9579
                December 12, 2004
                2121 Posts
                Posted: December 28, 2009, 9:49 am - IP Logged

yes,the last few weeks have opened a lot of eyes.i think we are seeing who will really pay for everything and it will not be the wealthy,as they are in congress too!

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #22395
                  September 24, 2005
                  1583 Posts
                  Posted: December 30, 2009, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

"Before i begin, heres something that i have discovered. Theres a few websites out there that write stuff about the two big games "mega millions and powerball", they basically explain on a few pages how the game works, how they rigged the machines and a few other things. Those websites dont appear in search engines like Yahoo while adult content, hacking tutorials, how to make a bomb websites, how to grow drugs, how to cover up a murder all appear in the same search engines. The only reason a website wouldnt appear in a search engine is if it was "manually blocked" by the search engine people. Im a web developer and i know how websites and search engines work."

Copy a few unique words from one of those sites.  A sentence or less should be good.  Then paste it here, I'd like to see your statement proven that the site does not show up in a search engine.

Sites can opt out of search engines voluntarily, they don't have to be "manually blocked" by the search engines.

CA
                    United States
                    Member #84266
                    December 26, 2009
                    410 Posts
                    Posted: December 30, 2009, 6:09 pm - IP Logged

When did the MM start using the 5/56+1/46 matrix? The California lottery site says there has been 472 draws since it's introduction to California but it doesn't say how many in total.

New York,
                      Panama
                      Member #73078
                      April 4, 2009
                      3490 Posts
                      Posted: December 30, 2009, 6:51 pm - IP Logged

Thank you so very much recoveryroad. So I am not crazy!

Well back to my drawing board.

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

ArtVandalay's avatar - 3237774708 dd3351ee2c_m.jpg
                        Arizona
                        United States
                        Member #52803
                        June 10, 2007
                        88 Posts
                        Posted: December 30, 2009, 6:53 pm - IP Logged

Is the MM or PB lottery rigged?  Very good question, and my answer is "I don't know."  And the fact that the drawings aren't done live on tv does raise some quesitions.  But I do have something to say about the Powerball Drawings, which I have been thinking about posting.  And I was going to ask the question, "Has anybody noticed anything strange about the Powerball Drawings?"  Now, the reason why I ask this question is because I've been tracking the PB drawings for the past 184 draws, or the past 92 weeks, using a system that I developed shortly before tracking the drawings.  Basically what my system does is rank the white balls from hot to cold dependent on past drawings, and it divides the drawings between "Normal" and an "Aberation".  A normal drawing is when each white ball falls within certain values consistent with the past drawings and the sum of the white balls also falls within certain values consistent with past drawings.  And the ratio of Normal to Aberation is approxiamtely 50/50.  From 11/4/09 to 12/12/09, I had twelve aberations in a row, which, although not impossible, I thought it was rather strange, and this type of event had happened only once before since in my tracking history.  It's not uncommon for me to get four or five aberations in a row, but four or five is usually the high limit, not twelve, and this event also occured at a time when the jackpot was at a high point.  Coincidence?  Maybe?  But none-the-less I thought it very strange.

Money can't buy you happiness, but I sure could afford the misery that it brings! Wink

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3475 Posts
                          Posted: December 31, 2009, 5:02 am - IP Logged

"the ratio of Normal to Aberation is approxiamtely 50/50"

You must have a funny idea of what an aberration is if 50% of the results fit your definition. If you flip a coin and it comes up tails, is that an aberration? I'll also note that the average jackpot was 46 million, with a high of 96. That's less than any of the 3 previous 12 drawing periods.

Kentucky
                            United States
                            Member #32652
                            February 14, 2006
                            7322 Posts
                            Posted: December 31, 2009, 10:46 am - IP Logged

People are going to believe whatever they want to believe and no one can change that. If you think it's rigged prove it you'll make millions or more with the movie and book rights.

It takes more than three people to set up the drawing the balls and machines are calibrated for every drawing. There are security people cameras that record their every move while in the ball room. By now some disgruntled or fired employee would have spilled the beans if there was any form of tampering no matter how big or small the infraction.

I Agree! because if it was possible somebody would have already done it.

Even though it's highly unlikely that only three employees could rig the drawing so they would know the results in advance, they would still need an accomplice to buy and cash the winning ticket. I can't think of any way the winnings could be distributed without at least one eyebrow being raised or how those three employees could wait long enough collect their share so there would be less suspicion; especially knowing their accomplice could spend his share and have control over their shares.

As for the lottery rigging the game so the drawn numbers wouldn't match any of the tickets sold, by having a legitimate drawing MM already had over a 90% chance none of the 17 million tickets sold on Tuesday's MM drawing would match those numbers. MM collected $33.8 million and the cash payoff was just a little over $7 million so it's not like they would lose money if someone got lucky and hit the jackpot either.

The only possible way to increase the probability of a jackpot not being hit would be to filter the QPs, but even then without rigging the drawing the jackpot could still be hit. I see no reason to rig the game when players are standing in line to buy tickets and MM knows they will pocket 50 cents on every ticket sold.

Kentucky
                              United States
                              Member #32652
                              February 14, 2006
                              7322 Posts
                              Posted: December 31, 2009, 12:01 pm - IP Logged

Is the MM or PB lottery rigged?  Very good question, and my answer is "I don't know."  And the fact that the drawings aren't done live on tv does raise some quesitions.  But I do have something to say about the Powerball Drawings, which I have been thinking about posting.  And I was going to ask the question, "Has anybody noticed anything strange about the Powerball Drawings?"  Now, the reason why I ask this question is because I've been tracking the PB drawings for the past 184 draws, or the past 92 weeks, using a system that I developed shortly before tracking the drawings.  Basically what my system does is rank the white balls from hot to cold dependent on past drawings, and it divides the drawings between "Normal" and an "Aberation".  A normal drawing is when each white ball falls within certain values consistent with the past drawings and the sum of the white balls also falls within certain values consistent with past drawings.  And the ratio of Normal to Aberation is approxiamtely 50/50.  From 11/4/09 to 12/12/09, I had twelve aberations in a row, which, although not impossible, I thought it was rather strange, and this type of event had happened only once before since in my tracking history.  It's not uncommon for me to get four or five aberations in a row, but four or five is usually the high limit, not twelve, and this event also occured at a time when the jackpot was at a high point.  Coincidence?  Maybe?  But none-the-less I thought it very strange.

I don't know how you can find any consistencies by only examining less than 0.0001% of all the possibilities. There will be 1,059,782 more drawing periods each with 184 drawings and you'll probably need to examine the next 10,600 periods to see just 1%. At the very least you'll have to wait for the next 184 drawings before you can determine if your definition of "normal" and "aberration" remains constant. It's possible in the next 184 drawings there will be 12 consecutive normal drawings instead of 12 consecutive aberration drawing. It's possible your 50/50 ratio might fluctuate drastically too.

"And the ratio of Normal to Aberation is approxiamtely 50/50."

It's like flipping a coin 184 times, recording the results and calling heads normal and tails an aberration. After doing that 10,000 times you might find out it's abnormal when a 184 trial period doesn't have 12 or more consecutive heads or tails.