Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Poll: What game does "lottery" bring to mind to you?

Topic closed. 16 replies. Last post 7 years ago by MzDuffleBaglady.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

When someone says lottery, what game do you first think of?

Pick 3 [ 8 ]  [24.24%]
Pick 4 [ 2 ]  [6.06%]
Pick 5 [ 1 ]  [3.03%]
Pick 6 [ 4 ]  [12.12%]
Powerball or Mega Millions [ 12 ]  [36.36%]
Scratchers [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
A 4 + 1 game (not all states have this) [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
All the jackpot games from Pick 5 on up [ 5 ]  [15.15%]
Other [ 1 ]  [3.03%]
Total Valid Votes [ 33 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10344 Posts
Posted: December 27, 2009, 12:57 am - IP Logged

A study was done where people were told to draw a map of the world. everyone put the country they were from as the center.

I wonder if the same type of thing would apply to lotteries. We have a lot of discussions here about strategies, number selections, etc...

But Pick 3 players are not thinking of multi-million dollar jackpots and jackpot game players are not thinking box, straight box, or straight.

When you hear the word lottery, or come to LP and see a thread, what game first comes to mind to you? I'm thinking most people will say the game they play the most.

Let me know if I forgot any, not all states have 4 + 1 or games with suits of cards or horse races (I think California has a "derby" scratcher or Pick 4 or something.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
    Kansas
    United States
    Member #83963
    December 19, 2009
    347 Posts
    Posted: December 27, 2009, 3:46 am - IP Logged

When I tell my husband, "When I win the lottery, we're gonna...." that means Powerball. In some instances, it means Kansas Cash, but for the most part, it refers to Powerball. Now that I'm playing 2by2 and Pick 3, they are referred to by name..."I will win Pick 3", or "I'm going to go get some scratch tickets", if that's what I'm going to buy. When I say I'm going to win the lottery, though, I'm talking about the BIG jackpot!!! When I'm going to go buy lottery tickets, that usually means Powerball tickets.

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

Honduras
      Member #20982
      August 29, 2005
      4715 Posts
      Posted: December 27, 2009, 4:06 am - IP Logged

To me lottery is: Pick3, Pick4 & Pick5...

Lotto is Pick6 & Powerball but since powerball has a name i refer to lotto to pick6...

scratchoff is scratchoffs...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Kentucky
        United States
        Member #32652
        February 14, 2006
        7295 Posts
        Posted: December 27, 2009, 8:11 am - IP Logged

When somebody asks "what was last night's lottery number", players know they are referring to the pick-3 because not very many people can remember the correct pick-5, lotto, PB, or MM numbers even if like me, they looked at the results 5 minutes ago.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
          Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
          United States
          Member #73904
          April 28, 2009
          14903 Posts
          Posted: December 27, 2009, 8:24 am - IP Logged

I chose jackpot games because they have the potential to be more life-altering. You never hear about big jackpots in P3, P4 unless it's the rare case of somebody winning the P4 with twenty tickets or something like that. The big-buck games are in your face more because of advertising so naturally you think of them first (or at least I do).

Also, I've had better luck on the jackpot games than with the others and scratchers.

Raffle games also come to mind because I like those a lot too.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10344 Posts
            Posted: December 27, 2009, 1:05 pm - IP Logged

When somebody asks "what was last night's lottery number", players know they are referring to the pick-3 because not very many people can remember the correct pick-5, lotto, PB, or MM numbers even if like me, they looked at the results 5 minutes ago.

Stack47,

Not so sure about that. Maybe among Pick 3 players, but I hear what were the numbers far more often than what was the number.

I'm pretty sure when people ask, they have the game they're holding a ticket for in mind.

Do you know last night's numbers?

Yea, 327.

No, I mean Lotto and Little Lotto.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Monkey Butt, USA
              United States
              Member #54569
              August 23, 2007
              1124 Posts
              Posted: December 27, 2009, 1:16 pm - IP Logged

A study was done where people were told to draw a map of the world. everyone put the country they were from as the center.

I wonder if the same type of thing would apply to lotteries. We have a lot of discussions here about strategies, number selections, etc...

But Pick 3 players are not thinking of multi-million dollar jackpots and jackpot game players are not thinking box, straight box, or straight.

When you hear the word lottery, or come to LP and see a thread, what game first comes to mind to you? I'm thinking most people will say the game they play the most.

Let me know if I forgot any, not all states have 4 + 1 or games with suits of cards or horse races (I think California has a "derby" scratcher or Pick 4 or something.

I think of all the lotteries. Each lottery has a unique quality for me and I find myself working on all of them in my spare time.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                Chicago
                United States
                Member #70678
                February 8, 2009
                889 Posts
                Posted: December 27, 2009, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

When people refer to the lottery I think of MM but the game I play the most is Little Lotto.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                  Ringleader
                  Michigan
                  United States
                  Member #81740
                  October 28, 2009
                  40250 Posts
                  Posted: December 27, 2009, 5:55 pm - IP Logged

when i'm at the grocery store and the clerk says that will be $8.13 i automatically add the sum, thats a pick 3 player for sure.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

United States
                    Member #81843
                    October 31, 2009
                    856 Posts
                    Posted: December 27, 2009, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

Voted and the results were 33.33% !

I am guilty of mixing the terms myself and I guess there is a difference between what a Lottery is and Lotto. They didn't cover that in H.S. lol

I think Bob P. covers that in his E book. I know it is important to use the right terms when dicsussing all this stuff and communicating.

We have a 4/24 game and I am not sure but I do not think there is a rolling jackpot. $2.00/play for a $10K win. WA calls it the Match 4. Unlike a scratch-off at the same cost and payout, the player can enter a game, control his selections and improve his/her odds with a system and wheeling.  I think they advertise two weiners a day.

DD

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                      United States
                      Member #73904
                      April 28, 2009
                      14903 Posts
                      Posted: December 28, 2009, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

Voted and the results were 33.33% !

I am guilty of mixing the terms myself and I guess there is a difference between what a Lottery is and Lotto. They didn't cover that in H.S. lol

I think Bob P. covers that in his E book. I know it is important to use the right terms when dicsussing all this stuff and communicating.

We have a 4/24 game and I am not sure but I do not think there is a rolling jackpot. $2.00/play for a $10K win. WA calls it the Match 4. Unlike a scratch-off at the same cost and payout, the player can enter a game, control his selections and improve his/her odds with a system and wheeling.  I think they advertise two weiners a day.

DD

Two weiners a day?

Was that a Freudian slip? LOL

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                        Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #48725
                        January 7, 2007
                        1953 Posts
                        Posted: December 28, 2009, 11:07 pm - IP Logged

Pick 6 because that's what I mostly play.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Jack Pot's avatar - Lottery-028.jpg

United States
                          Member #55246
                          September 20, 2007
                          225 Posts
                          Posted: December 28, 2009, 11:12 pm - IP Logged

I only play MegaMillions, SuperLottoPlus and occasionally F5. When I hear the word "lottery", what comes to mind is: All the jackpot games from Pick 5 on up

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                            Idaho
                            United States
                            Member #56506
                            November 21, 2007
                            6537 Posts
                            Posted: December 29, 2009, 12:21 am - IP Logged

When I think of the lottery, I tend to think of bigger lottery games like Pick 5/6 and PB and MM.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

Angel19's avatar - disney25
                              nashville n.c.
                              United States
                              Member #78433
                              August 14, 2009
                              1547 Posts
                              Posted: December 29, 2009, 2:34 am - IP Logged

To me lottery means powerball. thats where the big money is. Pick3/4 are usually called numbers, or pick 3/4.