Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 1:37 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Poll: ILlinois: PB or Lotto

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Rowen.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

If you were in Illinois and Illinois gets PB, which would you play?

Powerball and Powerplay, no brainer [ 7 ]  [63.64%]
Go with the lower odds [ 3 ]  [27.27%]
Powerball, you might catch 5 + 1 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Teh Lotto jackpots start too low for me [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
After taxes the 5 + 0 is only $600,000 [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Go with the higher jackpot, always [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Other [ 1 ]  [9.09%]
Total Valid Votes [ 11 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10390 Posts
Posted: December 31, 2009, 1:31 am - IP Logged

If Illinois gets Powerball, which would you say is a better shot?

The Illinois Lotto (6/52) starts at $2,000,000. It only got hit 11 times in 2009, and the prizes for 5 of 6 and 4 of 6 aren't much at all.

The PB, with the Powerplay, pays $1,000,000 for 5 + 0.

The odds against that are 1 in 5,138,133.00

The odds against hitting 6 for 6 in the Lotto are 1:10,179,260.

The Lotto progresses, the PB 5 + 0 with the extra $1 Powerplay is a constant $1,000,000.

The Powerball, should you hit 5 + 1, will probably be a juch larger jackpot than the Lotto but those odds are 1 in 195,249,054.00

What I'm asking here is the better play between 6/52 or PB shooting for the 5 + 0.

Which do you think is a beter shot? For the sake of the question, let's say you're only going to play one. Which would it be?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
    Illinois
    United States
    Member #82001
    November 3, 2009
    890 Posts
    Posted: December 31, 2009, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

The Illinois Lotto (6/52) starts at $2,000,000. It only got hit 11 times in 2009, and the prizes for 5 of 6 and 4 of 6 aren't much at all.

The Lotto progresses, the PB 5 + 0 with the extra $1 Powerplay is a constant $1,000,000.

The Powerball, should you hit 5 + 1, will probably be a juch larger jackpot than the Lotto but those odds are 1 in 195,249,054.00

What I'm asking here is the better play between 6/52 or PB shooting for the 5 + 0.

Which do you think is a beter shot? For the sake of the question, let's say you're only going to play one. Which would it be?

Is the powerplay option offered in all PB states and is it unform? I saw that Iowa will be doing a 10x promotion.

I would go with the powerplay over lotto. I have always disliked that game since it rarely get hit. The odds are roughly the same because you're spending $2 for powerplay versus $1 on lotto. Now you get 2 lines in lotto for a buck but odd is based on the single dollar ticket right?

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: January 2, 2010, 2:51 pm - IP Logged

If I had to play just one it would be the PB with PP.

But in reality I would be playing both.

I'm a ramblin' gamblin' kinda guy though.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10390 Posts
        Posted: January 5, 2010, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

I think there's a boo-boo on the website, this is the posted odds for lotto:

These are the odds on the back of a playslip:

1:20,358,530.

I e-mailed the Illinois Lottery from the site and asked about this,if they reply I'll post it.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10390 Posts
          Posted: January 9, 2010, 10:17 am - IP Logged

This is the reply from the Illinois Lottery (bolded), original e-mail query last.

That’s because there are two lines for $1  –  so you can either calculate it from one set, or you can calculate from both.

Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 6:16 PM
          To: REV, Lottery info
          Subject: Lotto odds

The posted odds on the website for lotto are off by 10,000,000.

On the back of the playslip the correct odds are 1:20,358,520.

The website shows 1:10,179,260

????????????????????

I've been saying only people selling systems and tickets pitch this nonsense about cutting the odds in half. Here's proof. The website had the correct odds until recently.

Lep

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
            Chicago
            United States
            Member #70678
            February 8, 2009
            889 Posts
            Posted: January 9, 2010, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

HUH?  I feel like I just read a brain-teaser.

PB with Powerplay sounds good but at 2 dollars a pop 5 lines will cost $10 versus 20 lines for that same $10 on Lotto with of course the not so good odds.

For the sake of the question I would go with PB shooting for the 5 + 0 but only because of the better odds and only having to match 5 vs 6 balls.

For the poll I chose other......I'll stick with Little Lotto : )

United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10390 Posts
              Posted: January 18, 2010, 5:54 pm - IP Logged

Well it looks like it's official.....this is on the ticket I played today;

POWERBALL TIX GO ON SALE JAN 31 IN IL. 1ST DRAW IS FEB 3 (DRAWS EVERY WED & SAT). PLAY P-BALL AND MEGA!

Lep

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
                Illinois
                United States
                Member #82001
                November 3, 2009
                890 Posts
                Posted: January 18, 2010, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

Well it looks like it's official.....this is on the ticket I played today;

POWERBALL TIX GO ON SALE JAN 31 IN IL. 1ST DRAW IS FEB 3 (DRAWS EVERY WED & SAT). PLAY P-BALL AND MEGA!

Hmm how long will they wait until mega in IL introduced their own megapiler to compete with Powerball/w powerplay. I will be dropping Pick 6 all together for PB so look like end of Lotto.