Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 9:28 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ever keep track of lottery tickets bought.

Topic closed. 7 replies. Last post 7 years ago by bomatt.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Canandaigua, NY
United States
Member #82302
November 10, 2009
24 Posts
Posted: January 2, 2010, 3:21 pm - IP Logged

So for my New Years I am keeping track of all my tickets bought.  I will take note of the price of the ticket,  how much i won, the name of the ticket.  Then the total spent all year the total won all year and how much i am up or down.   Has anyone else ever done this.

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
    Idaho
    United States
    Member #56506
    November 21, 2007
    6537 Posts
    Posted: January 2, 2010, 3:37 pm - IP Logged

I did that once, but only for a couple of months a few years back...I decided to never do that again. LOL

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19824 Posts
      Posted: January 2, 2010, 3:55 pm - IP Logged

So for my New Years I am keeping track of all my tickets bought.  I will take note of the price of the ticket,  how much i won, the name of the ticket.  Then the total spent all year the total won all year and how much i am up or down.   Has anyone else ever done this.

I've done it every year for the last 10 years and every year I've ended up losing money even the year I matched 5of6 for $1500.  That year I spent about $3000 on lottery tickets and could only deduct up to $1500 for lottery loses on my 1040 which was much lower than  the standard deduction for loses in general so I ended up paying ~$300 more taxes(state and federal) because of the $1500 of extra income from my lottery winnings.  Not being a professional gambler my lottery winnings were treated like regular income.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: January 2, 2010, 4:11 pm - IP Logged

I would consider doing that but my wife would feed me to the hogs if she found it.

She'd go all into that old harangue about a new washing machine and clothes and food and all that nonsense too.

Just not worth the headache.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
          Zeta Reticuli Star System
          United States
          Member #30470
          January 17, 2006
          10348 Posts
          Posted: January 2, 2010, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

If you ever get lucky enough to dedcut your losses from your winnings for taxes (have enough winninga that you need to) just the tickets aren't enough proof, you need a log too. (L learnd that on LP, I think RJOh posted it).

This is so you can't make a score and then go to a race track in late December and start collecting losers off the floor, or ask lotto players for all their losers.

I tally up monthly winners and losers by games played and end of the year total for all games. And I don't play that much, about $2.50 a day.

Just get one of those $1 or $2 planners...I use two, one for numbers played, the other to record the drawings.

In the one I use for tickets played, I draw a green square around numbers that hit and a + how much ever a winner won.

For a pick 5 it would look like this

1 6 17 23 39  1  +10

The red 1 is the amount spent on the ticket, the + 10 is what it paid, and the numbers in green are what hit. (I couldn't draw a square around them here so made them green).

Good Luck!

Lep

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
            Texas
            United States
            Member #55889
            October 23, 2007
            5592 Posts
            Posted: January 3, 2010, 10:13 am - IP Logged

I've kept track for the last several years. It helps me monitor how much I spend. Last year I spent almost $1300. This year I'm gonna cut back to no more than $1000, which will be a little difficult once PB starts in Tx.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19824 Posts
              Posted: January 3, 2010, 10:53 am - IP Logged

I also use a planner to keep track of the tickets I buy.  Since I pick my numbers using my computer, I name every file by game and date and save them on the computer and record them in a planner.  My last entry in 2010 planner looked like this.

MM010110
               20/3

MM stands for MegaMillion
              010110 stands for the date 01/01/2010
              20/3 stands for wager $20 and won $3.
              -17 means I'm down $17 so far this year.

If I create several MM files for that date, I will use prefixes MX,MY or MZ.  For Classic Lotto, I use prefix CL and for Rolling Cash5 I use RC.  Since each file is 1KB or less I save them for a couple of years and erase them. I just filed away all my losing lottery tickets and planner for 2009 in a big brown envelope.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Georgia
                United States
                Member #79361
                August 30, 2009
                93 Posts
                Posted: January 3, 2010, 5:06 pm - IP Logged

Use the predictions link on her and enter what you play and it will keep track of what is played and winnings.