Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 9:00 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is world-wide lottery game harmful for your...soul?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 7 years ago by cheryl59.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Entertaiment Capital
United States
Member #37800
April 19, 2006
302 Posts
Posted: January 4, 2010, 7:06 pm - IP Logged

I mean, I don't really believe in afterlife but I am using the s-word pretty liberally.

So let's say there's gonna be a weekly worldwide lottery for developed nations. The jackpot amount will be crazy. And certainly hundreds of millions of people will be crazy and obsessed with it. And guess what, if there's a rollover or two, the winning amount will be astronomical. So let's say (in the US territory) the proposed jackpot amount is $1 billion. After tax and everything it will be $400mil to 450mil. Well, seriously...how many people can handle such amount of money? Although it's possible that there will be multiple winners most of the times, what if the odds allow only a couple winners at a time? And what about rollover? Can anyone seriously handle $1bil after tax and everything?

Of course you guys can say, "Chill out, it's not happening in your lifetime." Not so much. I bet it will happen in 5~10 years. The guys behind Powerball is already planning for such kind of lottery and many of you guys already heard about the rumor.

This future worldwide lottery will create tens of millions of poor suckers who are crazy about being a sudden billionaire.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
    Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
    United States
    Member #73904
    April 28, 2009
    14903 Posts
    Posted: January 4, 2010, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

I mean, I don't really believe in afterlife but I am using the s-word pretty liberally.

So let's say there's gonna be a weekly worldwide lottery for developed nations. The jackpot amount will be crazy. And certainly hundreds of millions of people will be crazy and obsessed with it. And guess what, if there's a rollover or two, the winning amount will be astronomical. So let's say (in the US territory) the proposed jackpot amount is $1 billion. After tax and everything it will be $400mil to 450mil. Well, seriously...how many people can handle such amount of money? Although it's possible that there will be multiple winners most of the times, what if the odds allow only a couple winners at a time? And what about rollover? Can anyone seriously handle $1bil after tax and everything?

Of course you guys can say, "Chill out, it's not happening in your lifetime." Not so much. I bet it will happen in 5~10 years. The guys behind Powerball is already planning for such kind of lottery and many of you guys already heard about the rumor.

This future worldwide lottery will create tens of millions of poor suckers who are crazy about being a sudden billionaire.

I don't understand the part about being able to handle that amount of money. I don't know what the problem would be. Throw it in a few banks and investments and go on with your life. I think if you're a typically happy person you'll continue to be happy but if you're a normally miserable person (I've been married to a couple) no amount of money can change that.

Outside of the expected hounding by media and charities and security concerns, I would probably just go on with my life as usual.

I haven't heard the rumors about a worldwide lottery.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10350 Posts
      Posted: January 4, 2010, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

When it was announced California was thinking about joining Mega Millions the media hyped it up promising possible "Half a billion dollars" jackpots. Hasn't even come close yet.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Entertaiment Capital
        United States
        Member #37800
        April 19, 2006
        302 Posts
        Posted: January 4, 2010, 9:00 pm - IP Logged

I don't understand the part about being able to handle that amount of money. I don't know what the problem would be. Throw it in a few banks and investments and go on with your life. I think if you're a typically happy person you'll continue to be happy but if you're a normally miserable person (I've been married to a couple) no amount of money can change that.

Outside of the expected hounding by media and charities and security concerns, I would probably just go on with my life as usual.

I haven't heard the rumors about a worldwide lottery.

I checked Wikipedia for Powerball and according to the article the guys behind Powerball is trying to launch a worldwide lottery game.

United States
          Member #83701
          December 13, 2009
          225 Posts
          Posted: January 5, 2010, 6:26 pm - IP Logged

That would be an interesting scenario.   There are parts of the World where $100 is a lot of money and a $100 win would be quite likely, would more people play from these places?   The fact is, the value of money is very different in different parts of the world so a global lottery could affect lives quite differently especially if there was more weighting towards the lower value prizes than to the big jackpot.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
            Zeta Reticuli Star System
            United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10350 Posts
            Posted: January 5, 2010, 6:30 pm - IP Logged

I don't trust anything global.

Sure, lets get involved in a lottery with Eastern European, Russian, and Nigerian hackers - you know, where most of the scams come from.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
              Member #75358
              June 1, 2009
              5345 Posts
              Posted: January 5, 2010, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

I'm gonna call Pumpi and politely ask that he stop calling you.....ROFL

four4me's avatar - gate1
                MD
                United States
                Member #1701
                June 18, 2003
                8360 Posts
                Posted: January 5, 2010, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

worldwide lottery

Never gonna happen! ROFL

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
                  LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
                  Kansas
                  United States
                  Member #83963
                  December 19, 2009
                  347 Posts
                  Posted: January 5, 2010, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

I don't trust anything global.

Sure, lets get involved in a lottery with Eastern European, Russian, and Nigerian hackers - you know, where most of the scams come from.

I don't either!

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

Honduras
                    Member #20982
                    August 29, 2005
                    4715 Posts
                    Posted: January 5, 2010, 8:30 pm - IP Logged

i dont know if some of you have seen the one of the post i made on the lottery system...Well for like 2 hours today i thought, why not use that system on the lottery and then i began to think of the millions i will win, like $50 million and the whole time i was wondering away i could not concentrate thinking i could win: 50 million specially in a crowd...I dont know if i could handle 400 million i dont know if i could drive going to the state lottery to collect: 400 million dollars...i dont think i could do it someone will have to go for me...

and it gets worse when you are in a country where only a handful of people got: 50 million dollars...YOu can talk all you want but once the jackpot is real is real news that you won it is a different story...I think i will ask my brothers or sisters in the USA to collect it for me...And is kind of bothersome because once you claim the jackpot and you are walking the streets is like a celebrity walking the streets and you got to be careful, the only reason WHY i will want 400 million is because i could use it to help and fund many projects and stuff i want to do but other than that claiming 400 million is terrible...Just driving a mercedes bens or a Bentley is terrible not that i´ve driven one...From the heart i feel VERY, VERY, VERY uncomfortable driving a mercedes benz....

i sometimes dont know WHY i chase the lotto and Powerball because having 50 million is like a bounty on your head...whoever robs you is going to shoot you point blank...and you better have your car with bullet proof and wear bullet proof vest...

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Honduras
                      Member #20982
                      August 29, 2005
                      4715 Posts
                      Posted: January 5, 2010, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

but having 400 million is a problem but not as a problem as the people that hates you and what starts boiling in people´s mind once they see you are rich...Is when you see beautiful people and everyone else act like dogs i dont care who they are...

why you think i give off my system on LP because i dont want anyone coming to me asking how do you do it or that they want money, i want everyone else to know that if i could do it so could they that there is the same opportunity for them that everyone has equal access....

and the day i win i plan to buy a system that works and post it online or post my system for the ENTIRE WORLD TO KNOW...I will do my best to make lottery accessible so that we all have an equal chance...i want to do it with the stock market too if i succeed in the stock market...place all the information on the net...

i am already have to put up with half my fortune if i win going to whoever is my wife if she lives me...and every future wife....

what i think i will have to do is place some money in the bank call it insurance: let it earn interest and keep on me the same amount of money as there is in that account earning interests and advertise to the world that whoever wants to rob me can take money off of that bank account because i carries with me the same amount of money as in that bank account monthly....sounds stupid but is maybe the only way to fend off robbers....

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

sully16's avatar - sharan
                        Ringleader
                        Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #81740
                        October 28, 2009
                        40421 Posts
                        Posted: January 5, 2010, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

i dont know if some of you have seen the one of the post i made on the lottery system...Well for like 2 hours today i thought, why not use that system on the lottery and then i began to think of the millions i will win, like $50 million and the whole time i was wondering away i could not concentrate thinking i could win: 50 million specially in a crowd...I dont know if i could handle 400 million i dont know if i could drive going to the state lottery to collect: 400 million dollars...i dont think i could do it someone will have to go for me...

and it gets worse when you are in a country where only a handful of people got: 50 million dollars...YOu can talk all you want but once the jackpot is real is real news that you won it is a different story...I think i will ask my brothers or sisters in the USA to collect it for me...And is kind of bothersome because once you claim the jackpot and you are walking the streets is like a celebrity walking the streets and you got to be careful, the only reason WHY i will want 400 million is because i could use it to help and fund many projects and stuff i want to do but other than that claiming 400 million is terrible...Just driving a mercedes bens or a Bentley is terrible not that i´ve driven one...From the heart i feel VERY, VERY, VERY uncomfortable driving a mercedes benz....

i sometimes dont know WHY i chase the lotto and Powerball because having 50 million is like a bounty on your head...whoever robs you is going to shoot you point blank...and you better have your car with bullet proof and wear bullet proof vest...

The bad guys usually kidnap you then ask your family for the money. you have to ask yourself do you think you kin would fork it over?

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

Honduras
                          Member #20982
                          August 29, 2005
                          4715 Posts
                          Posted: January 5, 2010, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

but having 400 million is a problem but not as a problem as the people that hates you and what starts boiling in people´s mind once they see you are rich...Is when you see beautiful people and everyone else act like dogs i dont care who they are...

why you think i give off my system on LP because i dont want anyone coming to me asking how do you do it or that they want money, i want everyone else to know that if i could do it so could they that there is the same opportunity for them that everyone has equal access....

and the day i win i plan to buy a system that works and post it online or post my system for the ENTIRE WORLD TO KNOW...I will do my best to make lottery accessible so that we all have an equal chance...i want to do it with the stock market too if i succeed in the stock market...place all the information on the net...

i am already have to put up with half my fortune if i win going to whoever is my wife if she lives me...and every future wife....

what i think i will have to do is place some money in the bank call it insurance: let it earn interest and keep on me the same amount of money as there is in that account earning interests and advertise to the world that whoever wants to rob me can take money off of that bank account because i carries with me the same amount of money as in that bank account monthly....sounds stupid but is maybe the only way to fend off robbers....

or place money in the bank letting it earned interest generating money monthly and carry in my pocket the same amount as that account gives me monthly so that if i get robbed the money from the bank earning interests picks up the tab...and i didnt pay for it...

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                            adelaide sa
                            Australia
                            Member #37136
                            April 11, 2006
                            3300 Posts
                            Posted: January 5, 2010, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

or place money in the bank letting it earned interest generating money monthly and carry in my pocket the same amount as that account gives me monthly so that if i get robbed the money from the bank earning interests picks up the tab...and i didnt pay for it...

thats one plan i thought up if i ever win it big. sure ill have many millions, but id set up a trust that pays me say $50k ea year for rest of life. as a 1st thing id set that up.  a trust i cant get at. APPAER TFROM THE $50K.

THEN IF I BLOW ALL THE REST I STILL HAVE A NICE INCOME FOR REST OF LIFE.

of course it involves not getting a bertnie maddof, or collateraLIZED  debt obligations ,  in my invest ment.

and i guess if u hand over money to someone else to manage it, they will have  good time on your money.

but some wher ein this world you gotta be able to set up a trust. that will keep ya money safe, and pay up ea month?

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

Honduras
                              Member #20982
                              August 29, 2005
                              4715 Posts
                              Posted: January 5, 2010, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

then people ask me why i dont think highly of the human race or of other people, why i seen to dislike wealthy people...Because is how you will turn if you found out a certain someone live in your neighborhood and had: 50 million dollars...Dude almost 100% of the human race is like that...Yeah you might look good outside but inside you are dark as petroleum...i dont meant to insult anyone...think of this as psychology...it happens to all of us...For instance let´s say we all lived in the neighboorhood alone not married and in 1 house in the entire neighboorhood lives this super hot chick, super super hot chick and she is a nuddist and every now and then she walks the streets naked...I dont care even the most saint person living in the single´s neighborhoood will want to rape her we all might not do, we will all act nice around her it but the instinct is there even a little male child will get the instinct....So we all all of us males are dogs...we live in a: Planeta carnivoro: Basically a carnivour planet, a lot of us rather have sex than eat food and since most of us dont empty our sperm tank manually constantly or keep our oil change in control, place a hot naked women infront of any male in the world and see/hear his voice trail off INFRONT OF HIS WIFE...Same thing is with money....

is kind of funny because the word: Carnivour they mention it on the movie: Swordfish, they say the: Carnivour Program...i´ve been saying that that movie is about trying to win the lottery...