Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 12:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

How you can boost your state budget

Topic closed. 11 replies. Last post 7 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Bondi Junction
Australia
Member #57242
December 24, 2007
1102 Posts
Posted: January 13, 2010, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

I have read news reports off budget woes in states across the country. The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, a nonpartisan group, projects potential shortfalls of $350 billion nationwide over the next two years, with every state except Montana and North Dakota facing fiscal trouble.

I would like to suggest one idea. If we all played our state lottery every week, and those who already do bought an extra ticket, it would boost revenue for the states. I am not saying it is a silver bullet, but it would raise millions more in lottery revenue. It would also boost tax revenue as prize amounts would increase. It's a win win!

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
    Kansas
    United States
    Member #83963
    December 19, 2009
    347 Posts
    Posted: January 14, 2010, 2:21 am - IP Logged

I would like to win. I feel like I'm supporting our state budget, all by myself. Sad

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: January 14, 2010, 3:33 am - IP Logged

I have read news reports off budget woes in states across the country. The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, a nonpartisan group, projects potential shortfalls of $350 billion nationwide over the next two years, with every state except Montana and North Dakota facing fiscal trouble.

I would like to suggest one idea. If we all played our state lottery every week, and those who already do bought an extra ticket, it would boost revenue for the states. I am not saying it is a silver bullet, but it would raise millions more in lottery revenue. It would also boost tax revenue as prize amounts would increase. It's a win win!

If it were only that simple.

It doesn't matter how much money you give irresponsible politicians on spending sprees. They'll spend it and want more. Lack of revenue isn't the problem - spending is. They won't even wait to see what the lottery will bring in before spending it beforehand. They project income and look for new things to spend it on. So giving them more money to play with only exacerbates the problem because they'll need even more after that.

What we really need to do is to clean house and be rid of all of them - federal and state.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

sully16's avatar - sharan
        Ringleader
        Michigan
        United States
        Member #81740
        October 28, 2009
        40293 Posts
        Posted: January 14, 2010, 6:15 am - IP Logged

If it were only that simple.

It doesn't matter how much money you give irresponsible politicians on spending sprees. They'll spend it and want more. Lack of revenue isn't the problem - spending is. They won't even wait to see what the lottery will bring in before spending it beforehand. They project income and look for new things to spend it on. So giving them more money to play with only exacerbates the problem because they'll need even more after that.

What we really need to do is to clean house and be rid of all of them - federal and state.

AMEN! we need to get rid of them all. what i see on a daily basis is enough to make us all sick . but i am not allowed to air it publicly.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
          Harbinger
          D.C./MD.
          United States
          Member #44103
          July 30, 2006
          5583 Posts
          Posted: January 14, 2010, 6:19 am - IP Logged

Vote for fiscally conservative candidates.

Bondi Junction
            Australia
            Member #57242
            December 24, 2007
            1102 Posts
            Posted: January 14, 2010, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

Vote for fiscally conservative candidates.

Like former President Bush? What a joke! Both the Republicans and the Democrats are all corporate whores, we need to support all other small parties and independent candidates; if they can get on the ballot! We need to restore democracy to Washington!

We all get a lot out of lotteries!

United States
              Member #81843
              October 31, 2009
              856 Posts
              Posted: January 15, 2010, 8:36 am - IP Logged

Democracy is mob rule, we are a Republic. What we don't need is more Democracy. And, I agree with the RR, giving someone more money does not fix a spending habit based on eggs not hatched yet or the hopes of spending what is not there. We would only be enablers to a habit that is the problem along with it's unhealthy desires.

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                Harbinger
                D.C./MD.
                United States
                Member #44103
                July 30, 2006
                5583 Posts
                Posted: January 15, 2010, 8:58 am - IP Logged

Like former President Bush? What a joke! Both the Republicans and the Democrats are all corporate whores, we need to support all other small parties and independent candidates; if they can get on the ballot! We need to restore democracy to Washington!

Did I say Bush?  Delta Draw is right,  this ain't a democracy.   Small parties and independents take votes from one party and give victory to the other,  a bad situation.  Watch this,  pay attention, and learn.

http://blogs.lotterypost.com/jarasan/2009/12/political-spectrum-for-dummies.htm

United States
                  Member #81843
                  October 31, 2009
                  856 Posts
                  Posted: January 15, 2010, 10:08 am - IP Logged

Back to the lotteries and the STATES, The UNITEDUS FlagSTATES. We have done what you propose. We have in twenty-some years increased the games available and the player participation. Try it down there in Australia and see how it works. Talking like you are a U.S. citizen and getting us stirred up like you are a state-side constituent is really not acceptable.

You are not one of us in that sense. It is inflammatoryEvil Lookingpolitical trolling.

Good on me,

DD

JKING's avatar - Kaleidoscope 3.gif

United States
                    Member #5599
                    July 13, 2004
                    1184 Posts
                    Posted: January 16, 2010, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

Vote all politicians in office out. Don't vote for any candidate who has ever held office. This applies to all political parties. It's the only way to get the message across... no more of... business as usual. It would also reduce the influence of the lobbys. Keep no elected official in office for more than one term. Maybe this way we can get people in office before they are corrupted and get the one out who have been corrupted.

You are a slave to the choices you have made.  jk

Even a blind squirrel will occasioanlly find an acorn.

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                      West Side of Sunny Florida
                      United States
                      Member #55048
                      September 8, 2007
                      3371 Posts
                      Posted: January 17, 2010, 8:22 am - IP Logged

While we are waiting for the next election to 'vote them out' and try to put some responsible people 'in' there is one thing we can do that should help.  

Buy American made products when ever possible.  The more JOBS we can create the better we all will be.  Only we can get our selves out of this mess.  Its not easy to find local/state or nationally made products but if you try and even just buy *1* item a week (or even month) that is made in the USA we can make a difference.

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                        United States
                        Member #73904
                        April 28, 2009
                        14903 Posts
                        Posted: January 17, 2010, 8:38 am - IP Logged

While we are waiting for the next election to 'vote them out' and try to put some responsible people 'in' there is one thing we can do that should help.  

Buy American made products when ever possible.  The more JOBS we can create the better we all will be.  Only we can get our selves out of this mess.  Its not easy to find local/state or nationally made products but if you try and even just buy *1* item a week (or even month) that is made in the USA we can make a difference.

That's a good idea bashley, one that I practice as much as possible.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke