Welcome Guest
Log In | Register )
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

If You Won Both?

Topic closed. 19 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Grovel.

Page 2 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
Avatar
DFW, Texas
United States
Member #78628
August 18, 2009
134 Posts
Offline
Posted: February 5, 2010, 10:43 am - IP Logged

Odds of winning both of the Mega Millions and Powerball jackpots  1 : 34,307,511,180,886,943

Could you be more precise?  I'd like to understand this, but I'm not well educated in statistics.

Are those the odds of winning the two jackpots at the same time, in consecutive drawings, or otherwise in any two (one of each game) particular specified drawings?

    Avatar
    NY
    United States
    Member #23835
    October 16, 2005
    3474 Posts
    Offline
    Posted: February 5, 2010, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

    Those are the odds of one specific person who hasn't yet won winning both games with only 1 chance for each game. To get the odds of two events happening you simply multiply the odds of one event by the odds of the other. Other than the odds being vastly different, this is just like your chance of flipping a coin and getting heads and rolling a die and getting a 3.  For that the odds would be (1 in 2) * (1 in 6) = 1 in 12. Other than needing a calculator it works just th esame for PB and MM: (1 in 195,249,054) * (1 in 175,711,536) = 34,307,511,180,886,944.

    Of course the vast majority of people will never just take one single chance at each game and be done with it, so in reality your chances are better than that. Just remember that "better" is a relative term. With odds of 1 in 175 million, if you buy MM 1000 tickets every year you could expect to win only once every 175,000 years. As a practical matter your chances of winning both games is  zero, no matter how many tickets you buy.

    OTOH, the chances of somebody eventually winning both games is much better. Counting  winners who were in pools, there have been at least a few hundred jackpot winners in each game. Since they've already won one of the games, "all" they have to do to win both is win the other jackpot game. If 500 previous MM winners collectively buy 500,000 PB tickets every year there would be a 1 in 195,249,054 / 500,000 chance, or 1 in 390.5 chance that one of them would win PB in that year. 500 previous PB winners buying 500,000 MM tickets would mean a 1 in 351.4 chance that one of them would win MM. Overall that would mean about a 1 in 185 chance of a previous winner winning the other game during the year.


      United States
      Member #86405
      February 3, 2010
      5 Posts
      Offline
      Posted: February 5, 2010, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

      I ask myself: 'Would a relative share with me if they won the Lotto?'

      That answer tells me what I would do - donate 80% of it to charity, and I'd live off the other 20%.

      Oh wait - I already did that.

      That is awesome, and what I would do!

        megamillionaire's avatar - Sphere animated_small_ neg2.gif
        Queens, NY
        United States
        Member #245
        April 15, 2002
        451 Posts
        Offline
        Posted: February 9, 2010, 11:44 pm - IP Logged

        What?  The odds of winning both lotteries is astronomical, but if I won both of course I'd keep the money. Why would I have played both if I didn't want to keep the money. My son and I have a Mega Million Subscription and will probably get one for Powerball.   Hurray!

        Megamillionaire

        Time is a wonderful teacher, but it kills all its students.

        A man must consider what a rich realm he leaves when he becomes a conformist.

          Grovel's avatar - f800e6a39fbfea795d1dcbb09f2244
          Little Rock, AR
          United States
          Member #68365
          December 19, 2008
          241 Posts
          Offline
          Posted: February 10, 2010, 10:57 am - IP Logged

          I would keep them both and laugh my ass off to the bank.