Welcome Guest
You last visited December 9, 2016, 8:24 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

I'm thinking of starting a lottery pool

Topic closed. 25 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Mario38.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
WilliamJohns's avatar - Trek HAND3.gif
Connecticut
United States
Member #83649
December 12, 2009
27 Posts
Posted: January 20, 2010, 9:31 pm - IP Logged

I'm thinking of starting a lottery pool with some friends and family members.  MegaMillions will be coming to my state (Connecticut) after the end of January.  I'm thinking of getting maybe 5 of us together, each put in $20+ and then buying $5 worth of tickets for each drawing for the next 20+ drawings (advance purchase).  Each participent can pick their own 5+1 number and we will split the winnings 5 ways at the end of all the drawings unless we hit a really big win in which case we would split the money right away.  I suppose I could probably even have a larger group.  Can anyone forsee any problems?

sully16's avatar - sharan
    Ringleader
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #81740
    October 28, 2009
    40561 Posts
    Posted: January 20, 2010, 9:41 pm - IP Logged

yes. my brothers and i will chip in for a big one . but when you get co-workers and friends things can go horribly wrong and fast. it can cause hard feelings and people will feel the need to take sides. you don't need that at work. i keep my gambling out of the work place. thats why i come here to chat with you guys and gals. i post predictions and if some one in another state likes my numbers and plays them and wins , well thats great, but if they lose i won't have a nasty note stuck to my locker. good luck to you.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
      A long and winding road
      United States
      Member #17084
      June 10, 2005
      4529 Posts
      Posted: January 20, 2010, 9:46 pm - IP Logged

This had been spoken of in the past- SOme guidelines were mentioned to protect the group and the claims. Read up thru the search feature.

I will caution and say- Never spot someone there share, and make it clear you dont pay you dont get to claim winnings. THen set the rules and guidelines clearly.  I see no difference in a lottery pool as it ONLY takes one line to hit. Read to many folks winning with a qp on one dollar bets....

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

cheryl59's avatar - center
        Va Beach
        United States
        Member #46651
        September 20, 2006
        1858 Posts
        Posted: January 20, 2010, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

I have 3 separate lottery pools on my job with no problems at all (knock on wood!) It is not real easy but we all have a common goal (and bond) we want to Win!!!

I have help from players within the pools,  in 2 of my pools I have appointed someone to offically check the numbers with me (one reason is just in case Iam not able to check the numbers, we have a backup, I have one person from each group that is a backup for contacting everybody when we win, this person is also responsible for making sure that all phone numbers and emails are current, also when each person is signed up I give then a copy of the state Lottery info on that game, and advise them how the money will be divided ,  they all know that we will have an attorney , we have even discussed how and  when we will all pick up the money, there is nothing wrong with drawing up a contract and everyone agrees to adhere to its contents (and of course all input will be reviewed and voted upon) I have been doing this a few years now and It is one of the most enjoyable times that I have. We really get excited when the drawings get big!

Have fun with your pool and

Good Luck!

CHERYL59Hippy

01-02-03-04-05

My Ultimate Pet numbers

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23273 Posts
          Posted: January 20, 2010, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

<Moved to Jackpot Games forum>

Please post in the appropriate forum ... thank you.

Connecticut
            United States
            Member #83649
            December 12, 2009
            27 Posts
            Posted: January 25, 2010, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

I'm thinking of having 10 - 20 people in my Mega Millions pool.  Do you think it would be better to keep it smaller (around 10 people), or the more the merrier?

diluxe1's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
              Maryland and Netherlands
              United States
              Member #85474
              January 16, 2010
              10 Posts
              Posted: January 25, 2010, 7:34 pm - IP Logged

I think it would be better to have 10 people in the pool. The bigger the win the more money you will have to split. You just have to have fair people. If someone wins, are they really going to share the profit(be greedy and keep the money for themselves) or give you and the others some of the money. Trust is the most importrant thing...

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
                Indiana
                United States
                Member #48725
                January 7, 2007
                1954 Posts
                Posted: January 25, 2010, 9:07 pm - IP Logged

I highly suggest a written agreement. There also needs to be an agreement among the members of the pool about separate individual purchases, and if you're the one running the pool, I suggest you NEVER buy separate tickets for yourself, at least not for the game in which the pool is for. For example, if you run a lottery pool, and Powerball is really big, say $300M, and you and 4 other people go $2 in for a $10 ticket, while you're at the store, don't buy a separate Powerball ticket soley for yourself because if that ticket wins, the other people in the pool aren't very likely to believe you when you say "Oh, well that's a separate ticket that I bought for myself, which wasn't included in the pool". When the jackpot gets that big, I could see how someone would be tempted to buy additional separate tickets for themself, but if you're running a lottery pool, doing so would be a bad idea.

Even if you are in a pool and you're not the one purchasing the tickets, I would still be careful about purchasing your own tickets for that game. It comes down to trust. For all you know, the one running the lottery pool(and perhaps someone else in the pool) might lie to the group and say he/she gave you the money to buy the group's tickets. Ya, I know that's a little left field, but money brings out the worst in people. When millions of dollars are at stake, people are willing to do or say anything to get a piece of it.

I would also include in the agreement, that the pool is on a per-drawing basis, which means that if someone doesn't put in money for a particular drawing, they will not be included in on the winnings for that drawing. In the event the pool plays together for months and months and then one day someone misses out on a drawing and the tickets bought for the group wins the jackpot, this will prevent them from using a "we agreed to split it no matter what" or similar argument if they decide to sue the group.

Gonna win.Big Smile

Jack-C's avatar - us
                  San Diego, CA
                  United States
                  Member #61467
                  May 24, 2008
                  28146 Posts
                  Posted: January 25, 2010, 9:26 pm - IP Logged

I agree with Guru101.

You must have written agreements (not necessarily a "contract").  I suggest buying quick picks and making copies for everyone (NOT on the company's copier!!).  Have on the paper who is in the pool for that draw.  If you let people pick their own numbers, you run into the problem of someone saying it was MY number that won, I should get all of (or most of) the millions of dollars!

Jack-C's avatar - us
                    San Diego, CA
                    United States
                    Member #61467
                    May 24, 2008
                    28146 Posts
                    Posted: January 25, 2010, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

Also, you need the people to HAND you the money.  Nothing can be done via mail.  That would be in violation of postal (Federal) laws.  That has been discussed many times here on LP.

Connecticut
                      United States
                      Member #83649
                      December 12, 2009
                      27 Posts
                      Posted: January 26, 2010, 1:38 pm - IP Logged

Also, you need the people to HAND you the money.  Nothing can be done via mail.  That would be in violation of postal (Federal) laws.  That has been discussed many times here on LP.

Uttt-oh, what does the Post Office have to do with it?  I was hoping I could have some of the people who live further away mail checks to me.

Jack-C's avatar - us
                        San Diego, CA
                        United States
                        Member #61467
                        May 24, 2008
                        28146 Posts
                        Posted: January 26, 2010, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

Uttt-oh, what does the Post Office have to do with it?  I was hoping I could have some of the people who live further away mail checks to me.

Absolutely NOT!  Nothing having to do with a lottery can be sent through the mail.  I don't have the federal regulation at hand, but it has been discussed many times (with the reference to the federal law quoted) here on LP.  Todd is also aware of this regulation.

Hans's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                          Monte Carlo
                          France
                          Member #55589
                          October 9, 2007
                          1181 Posts
                          Posted: January 26, 2010, 6:16 pm - IP Logged

I am looking for info of a legal lotterypool on internet.someone can provide me some info?Thanks

Hans

Strive to predict 8 tickets for 12 numbers with Max ROI for Pick6!

Rowen's avatar - animal eel.jpg
                            Illinois
                            United States
                            Member #82001
                            November 3, 2009
                            890 Posts
                            Posted: January 26, 2010, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

Trust me it's not worth it.

Canada
                              Member #68663
                              December 27, 2008
                              260 Posts
                              Posted: January 27, 2010, 12:40 am - IP Logged

I run a couple of lottery pools and never had any problems. We have also won enough money to have to split the money. I recommend doing some Google searches for pools offered online. Check out how they do it and copy their rules and procedures. That is what I did. I got some good ideas from them. The good online pools post their rules online. I just copied them, changed a couple of sections, and used then. Watch out for the scam pools. Then again, the scam pools ever post their rules. I would post the links to the good pools but cannot post links on this forum.

Good luck and have fun.