Welcome Guest
You last visited January 20, 2017, 3:06 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Is this true?

Topic closed. 12 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Raven62.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
new york
United States
Member #63828
August 9, 2008
182 Posts
Posted: January 21, 2010, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

I was on wikipedia and did a search for instant scratch off tickets (I was interested in the history) and the following was mentioned:

Such cards are vulnerable to attack by devices which allow individuals to see through the concealing substance without physically disturbing it.

Is this true?

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23352 Posts
    Posted: January 21, 2010, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

Wikipedia is full of wrong statements.  I have found that to be true especially concerning lotteries.  It seems that lots of the articles are written by people who either harbor conspiracy theories or else they wished they had their own web site (but they don't) so they write and write, facts be damned.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

new york
      United States
      Member #63828
      August 9, 2008
      182 Posts
      Posted: January 21, 2010, 10:50 pm - IP Logged

Thanks, Todd. The article did mention that a 'citation' was needed. Not sure what that means.

In any case, glad to hear that this is not true! Thanks so much!

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23352 Posts
        Posted: January 22, 2010, 7:50 am - IP Logged

A citation is a reference to a legitimate source of the information.  Naturally when people make stuff up or base an article on rumors they can't provide a citation.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          51138 Posts
          Posted: January 22, 2010, 8:42 am - IP Logged

I was on wikipedia and did a search for instant scratch off tickets (I was interested in the history) and the following was mentioned:

Such cards are vulnerable to attack by devices which allow individuals to see through the concealing substance without physically disturbing it.

Is this true?

It may be possible: Exposing the Ticket to the right wavelength of light may reveal the prizes hidden beneath the latex covering.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            51138 Posts
            Posted: January 22, 2010, 9:48 am - IP Logged

It may be possible: Exposing the Ticket to the right wavelength of light may reveal the prizes hidden beneath the latex covering.

"The visible part of the spectrum falls between the wavelengths of 430nm~690nm. (1nm=10-9m) Infrared rays have much larger wavelengths than this. We divide them into "Near Infrared Rays" (690nm-4,000nm) and "Extreme Infrared Rays" (over 4,000nm).

Unlike ultraviolet and visible rays, infrared rays tend to penetrate any medium rather easily because of their large wavelengths. This also means that infrared rays are not refracted when passing from one medium to another. When we shine sunlight through a prism, it is refracted at an angle according to its wavelength. The blue end of the visible spectrum has the shortest wavelength, so is refracted the most. At the other end of the spectrum, beyond the red (visible light), infrared rays are barely refracted at all because of their long wavelength. The KAYA PF Lens exploits this characteristic of infrared light. It only lets through these long-wavelength rays, which have low refractive rays, and not all the ultraviolet and visible rays."

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: January 25, 2010, 10:13 am - IP Logged

Wikipedia is full of wrong statements.  I have found that to be true especially concerning lotteries.  It seems that lots of the articles are written by people who either harbor conspiracy theories or else they wished they had their own web site (but they don't) so they write and write, facts be damned.

That's true.

Another site that is given too much credence is Snopes. They are no more an authority or final word on anything than Wikipedia is.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
                Kansas
                United States
                Member #83963
                December 19, 2009
                347 Posts
                Posted: January 25, 2010, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

That's true.

Another site that is given too much credence is Snopes. They are no more an authority or final word on anything than Wikipedia is.

That's right about Snopes. People think it's the ultimate "authority", and it's a husband & wife team that researches things on the internet. I do a better job than they do... I've caught them with so many mistakes on their site, that I know for a fact is wrong. It's pretty sad. It's too bad everybody puts them on such a pedestal. Roll Eyes

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: January 27, 2010, 8:52 am - IP Logged

That's right about Snopes. People think it's the ultimate "authority", and it's a husband & wife team that researches things on the internet. I do a better job than they do... I've caught them with so many mistakes on their site, that I know for a fact is wrong. It's pretty sad. It's too bad everybody puts them on such a pedestal. Roll Eyes

That's right Lady and when it's a political topic they always seem to come down on the left side of things.

Everybody's got an agenda nowadays.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
                    Michigan
                    United States
                    Member #22395
                    September 24, 2005
                    1583 Posts
                    Posted: January 27, 2010, 11:04 am - IP Logged

When you compare Wikipedia and Snopes to the rest of the internet, they are far more accurate than many sites.  They are an excellent source and should not be dismissed because of isolated incidents, lottery or otherwise.

United States
                      Member #83701
                      December 13, 2009
                      225 Posts
                      Posted: January 27, 2010, 3:27 pm - IP Logged

Is this true?

There have been instances in the past where store clerks had conspired with medical workers to x-ray tickets and pick out the winners, however in all of these situations, the statistically unusual amount of wins and the very fact that retailers were involved prompted investigations that unveiled the conspiracy.   Other methods have been to use intense light (candling) or to separate the layers with solvents in a fashion that they could be layered back on.   These days, there's usually a foil backing behind the scratch-off area to block x-rays, the latex scratch-off ink is in multiple layers of geometric patterns to make it impossible to make out the symbols (this is why the stuff is all sorts of colors when scratched off but just grey when unscratched the underlying layers are different colors).   The formulation of the latex ink is also such that solvents will render it impossible to reattach.    These methods have also been frustrated by requiring the vendors to track their accounting sequentially and prohibit the sales of pre-separated tickets.

Florida
                        United States
                        Member #86044
                        January 28, 2010
                        1 Posts
                        Posted: January 28, 2010, 10:48 am - IP Logged

It's not latex and exposing to multiple amplitudes of the electromagnetic spectrum will not reveal the information listed underneath.  All lotteries have security departments that test for these types of things anyway.

Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia.

New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #17843
                          June 28, 2005
                          51138 Posts
                          Posted: January 28, 2010, 10:59 am - IP Logged

It's not latex and exposing to multiple amplitudes of the electromagnetic spectrum will not reveal the information listed underneath.  All lotteries have security departments that test for these types of things anyway.

Don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia.

On that same note: Why should we believe you?

Warning: Exploding Underpants may be Hazardous to Your Health!