Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:22 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does anybody else disagree with graduated annuities?

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 7 years ago by JAP69.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
Member #85037
January 7, 2010
252 Posts
Posted: January 23, 2010, 8:30 am - IP Logged

I can understand the logic behind graduated annuities.  For example, PB goes up in payments 4% every year.  But if you invest wisely you don't NEED the cost of living adjustment!! I would need most of it the first year, not the least of it.  I would be paying off things and enjoying my new life.  I know it's pretty much a pointless argument, but if I have invested at least 10% in 30-year municiple bonds I will be sitting pretty by the time my annunity runs out.  Logic dictates at the end of 30 years you would own everything you have and your only living expenses would be utillities and groceries...

Jack-C's avatar - us
    San Diego, CA
    United States
    Member #61467
    May 24, 2008
    28146 Posts
    Posted: January 23, 2010, 8:50 am - IP Logged

This has been discussed many times here on LP.

Here is one of the discussions:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/199002/1384289

What I have observed in the past is that most people, including me, think that the cash value is the way to go.  Even some people that thought they wanted yearly payments changed their minds after some discussion.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
      Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
      United States
      Member #73904
      April 28, 2009
      14903 Posts
      Posted: January 23, 2010, 8:56 am - IP Logged

Any government agency is the last place on earth I would trust with the future of my money. I'll take the cash option and buy everything I need right away before the dollar loses any more value. I'd trade a big chunk for precious metals, get off the grid and prepare to hunker down in case the current government succeeds in destroying the currency and the country before we can vote them out. No way I'd take an annuity in the current environment. It could be worthless in short order.

Things have been looking up in recent elections as people wake up but until the job is done I would stay on the safe side.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Lucky4Life's avatar - batman14

United States
        Member #85037
        January 7, 2010
        252 Posts
        Posted: January 23, 2010, 9:17 am - IP Logged

This has been discussed many times here on LP.

Here is one of the discussions:

http://www.lotterypost.com/thread/199002/1384289

What I have observed in the past is that most people, including me, think that the cash value is the way to go.  Even some people that thought they wanted yearly payments changed their minds after some discussion.

Maybe my statement wasn't clear.  The annuity itself isn't an issue, i would take it.  The system of payment of the annuity is my issue.

Thanks for the link, though.

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49725 Posts
          Posted: January 23, 2010, 9:50 am - IP Logged

Maybe my statement wasn't clear.  The annuity itself isn't an issue, i would take it.  The system of payment of the annuity is my issue.

Thanks for the link, though.

Are you going to do something about your concern?

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

NY
            United States
            Member #23835
            October 16, 2005
            3474 Posts
            Posted: January 23, 2010, 12:04 pm - IP Logged

The real reason for graduated annuities is to increase the advertised value of an imaginary jackpot even more.

In terms of practicality to the rare winners that take the annuity, I figure they're looking for a steady and predictable income. If the cost of living goes up every year (and it almost always does), it makes sense  for your income to go up by at least that much so that you don't lose any ground. Sure, most of us carry some amount of debt and most of us could think of  a way to splurge initially, but it's pretty unusual that a lottery win that's offered as an annuity isn't significant enough to make a real difference in your finances. Winning a graduated annuity may not let you pay cash for a huge house and a Ferrari or Lambo, but it will let you pay off your existing debts faster and still upgrade.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
              Zeta Reticuli Star System
              United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10351 Posts
              Posted: January 23, 2010, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

Lucky4Life,

I'm sorry I don;t remember who but someone here on LP has or had a signature,

"You can always buy a better annuity".

Pretty good observation, really. Let's face it, the lottery isn;t really going to compairson shop the annuity for a jackpot winner that chooses to go that route.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

LadyMylena's avatar - avatar6 1.jpg
                Kansas
                United States
                Member #83963
                December 19, 2009
                347 Posts
                Posted: January 23, 2010, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

Any government agency is the last place on earth I would trust with the future of my money. I'll take the cash option and buy everything I need right away before the dollar loses any more value. I'd trade a big chunk for precious metals, get off the grid and prepare to hunker down in case the current government succeeds in destroying the currency and the country before we can vote them out. No way I'd take an annuity in the current environment. It could be worthless in short order.

Things have been looking up in recent elections as people wake up but until the job is done I would stay on the safe side.

You took the words right out of my mouth, just like always. lol

Well, there's always the chance, too, that the dollar crashes, all of our states go bankrupt, and the lottery gets suspended. Our unemployment funds are almost depleted http://projects.propublica.org/unemployment/, and how long do you think it's going to take, for everything else to be in the same boat? 

I hope to God I win before that happens. 

I used to always say I'd take the annuity, and that way I'd be set for life...but that was years ago. If things get better someday, I might change my mind. Wink

Luck is  ** believing  ** you're lucky.” ~Tennessee Williams

Money is neither my god nor my devil. It is a form of energy that tends to make us more of who we already are, whether it's greedy or loving.  ~ Dan Millman

JAP69's avatar - alas
                  South Carolina
                  United States
                  Member #6
                  November 4, 2001
                  8790 Posts
                  Posted: January 23, 2010, 5:37 pm - IP Logged

You might want to check on inheritance taxation with that kind of money. I understand it has been stopped for 2010 on inheritance tax. Might kick back in in 2011.

From what I read the tax is pretty stiff. 50% or better I heard.

MAGA