Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Perspectives

Topic closed. 20 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Delta Draw.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #75358
June 1, 2009
5345 Posts
Posted: January 26, 2010, 12:59 pm - IP Logged

Here in Florida, the Lotto game is about 23 million to 1.

Take a grain of sand and paint it red. Set aside.

A cup of sand holds about 3 million grains of sand. Put about 7.5  cups of sand in a clear plastic bag. (7.5 X 3 million = 22.5 million grains of sand)

Now take that one grain of sand you painted red and throw it in the bag. Shake the bag well for a few seconds.

All you have to do now is blindfold yourself and pick the red grain of sand.

The PB is about 195 million to 1.

For this experiment you'll need a bag with 65 cups of sand.

(Off topic...of interest...below....)

http://www.lotterypost.com/blogentry/37146

Thud

Honduras
    Member #20982
    August 29, 2005
    4715 Posts
    Posted: January 26, 2010, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

lol...very funny..

The Forex trades: 1.6 Trillion dollars EVERY day, that´s more than the GDP of the Carribbean Central America, COMBINED. Enough to feed every crook out there for centuries...To all Geniuses & Powers Countries of the World the Planet needs breakthroughs in all Medicine, Veterinary, Biology related fields, Psychology, Population Psychology/Sociology..They need to genetically ingeneer new plants species/types to give more variety of plants and thus have more resources for combating diseases¨

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
      Zeta Reticuli Star System
      United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10353 Posts
      Posted: January 26, 2010, 6:24 pm - IP Logged

lol...very funny..

More factual than funny, pumpi. What joker17 described is what system sellers are paranoid that their potenetial buyers will realize.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

CA
        United States
        Member #84266
        December 26, 2009
        410 Posts
        Posted: January 26, 2010, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

That certainly gives me a visual of how awful the odds are. I don't think that 1 grain of red sand will even be visible among the other millions of grains.

United States
          Member #75358
          June 1, 2009
          5345 Posts
          Posted: January 26, 2010, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

Yes Coin Toss, that was one of the reasons for posting this, but the main reason was to show how incredibly hard it is to pick the winning combo short of a miracle, especially with the PB.

I'm not trying to burst people's bubbles or stymie their hopes and dreams of hitting the big one. Anything is possible. I just thought it'd be interesting to know the whole story so to speak. A few years ago I heard a news reporter showing another perspective of the immense odds of the Florida Lotto with 26 coins. Quarters were used by throwing them up in the air and if all of the quarters landed either heads or tails, that would equate to winning the JP. The reporter added that someone should try this with just 7 or 8 coins and see how difficult it is.

So this is why I think the p-3 is the best possible way to try to beat the system. If one can overcome a straight hit in the p-3 on a regular basis, they can multiply their bets for better returns, and over time using the house money, one can become wealthy from the exponential growth of the winnings.

I have enough of a hard time hitting a game like the p-3 on a regular basis with only one thousand grains of sand....lol

sand

United States
            Member #75358
            June 1, 2009
            5345 Posts
            Posted: January 26, 2010, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

That certainly gives me a visual of how awful the odds are. I don't think that 1 grain of red sand will even be visible among the other millions of grains.

I don't think that 1 grain of red sand will even be visible among the other millions of grains.

Green laugh

OMG......lol

Hee hee...you made my day...Ha Ha...

But remember, you can't look while you pick that grain or that'll be cheating. Especially if you have a magnifying glass.....ROFL

CA
              United States
              Member #84266
              December 26, 2009
              410 Posts
              Posted: January 26, 2010, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

I don't think that 1 grain of red sand will even be visible among the other millions of grains.

Green laugh

OMG......lol

Hee hee...you made my day...Ha Ha...

But remember, you can't look while you pick that grain or that'll be cheating. Especially if you have a magnifying glass.....ROFL

Even if you can look but can't touch and spread the sand out it would be incrediblly hard.

Hermanus104's avatar - 5027340606 1e360c8038_s.jpg
                Northern Virginia
                United States
                Member #83350
                December 5, 2009
                1317 Posts
                Posted: January 26, 2010, 7:22 pm - IP Logged

That is why I stick with the Pick 3!!!

Today's winning 3-ball is going to be a number between 000 and 999.

In a lot of states, lotteries benefit education. That makes the REAL winners the only people who can't play!

United States
                  Member #30470
                  January 17, 2006
                  10353 Posts
                  Posted: January 26, 2010, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

joker17,

And isn't it smazing how many people think that by picking two grains of sand oinstead of just one they will, in essence, have eliminated half of all the remaining grains of sand?

Wink

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
                    Member #75358
                    June 1, 2009
                    5345 Posts
                    Posted: January 26, 2010, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

joker17,

And isn't it smazing how many people think that by picking two grains of sand oinstead of just one they will, in essence, have eliminated half of all the remaining grains of sand?

Wink

OK...I hope you know that I'm pacattack05, and that we had that discussion with many folks here in the past. And it drains my energy everytime I think about it. >>>>>>lol

I think it's the math lingo that throws them off...I don't know...all I know is that they are smart folks, yet somehow just don't, or don't want to get it.

It boggles the mind.

If I buy a million QPs in a 23 million to 1 game, there are still 22 million possiblities that have the potential of coming out.

New York,
                      Panama
                      Member #73078
                      April 4, 2009
                      3490 Posts
                      Posted: January 26, 2010, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

Yes Coin Toss, that was one of the reasons for posting this, but the main reason was to show how incredibly hard it is to pick the winning combo short of a miracle, especially with the PB.

I'm not trying to burst people's bubbles or stymie their hopes and dreams of hitting the big one. Anything is possible. I just thought it'd be interesting to know the whole story so to speak. A few years ago I heard a news reporter showing another perspective of the immense odds of the Florida Lotto with 26 coins. Quarters were used by throwing them up in the air and if all of the quarters landed either heads or tails, that would equate to winning the JP. The reporter added that someone should try this with just 7 or 8 coins and see how difficult it is.

So this is why I think the p-3 is the best possible way to try to beat the system. If one can overcome a straight hit in the p-3 on a regular basis, they can multiply their bets for better returns, and over time using the house money, one can become wealthy from the exponential growth of the winnings.

I have enough of a hard time hitting a game like the p-3 on a regular basis with only one thousand grains of sand....lol

sand

As I have Stated Before Joker17, I stay out of the lane of uncoming Trafic, of buses and Mactrucks; that is what the Mega, powerball, Lotto and pic5 represents to my walet!  I Play Pick 3 and Pick 4 That is what I know!!!Sad Wavey

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                        Harbinger
                        D.C./MD.
                        United States
                        Member #44103
                        July 30, 2006
                        5583 Posts
                        Posted: January 26, 2010, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

What if all those grains of sand had a 3D (X,Y,Z)  coordinate assigned to each grain of sand?  Now what if you take each of those "grain of sand" coordinates and add 1000 to each (x+1000,y+1000,z+1000).  Would it be easier to see the red grain of sand?  Of course it would be easier to see,  because you spread the grains of sand apart equally and it gives you a better  3-dimensional view.

Pac you have got to stop Packing sand...................... "you gotta keep 'em separated"1.

1Offspring.

United States
                          Member #30470
                          January 17, 2006
                          10353 Posts
                          Posted: January 26, 2010, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

What if all those grains of sand had a 3D (X,Y,Z)  coordinate assigned to each grain of sand?  Now what if you take each of those "grain of sand" coordinates and add 1000 to each (x+1000,y+1000,z+1000).  Would it be easier to see the red grain of sand?  Of course it would be easier to see,  because you spread the grains of sand apart equally and it gives you a better  3-dimensional view.

Pac you have got to stop Packing sand...................... "you gotta keep 'em separated"1.

1Offspring.

jarasan,

Until someone who tells us about it being easier to spot the red grain of sand being easier this way popls a jackpot or two, I'll continue not to believe it.

Every combination played eliminates the combinations let unplayed (the other grains of sand) by one, and that's as good as it gets.

Lep

United Kingdom
                            Member #85727
                            January 22, 2010
                            5 Posts
                            Posted: January 27, 2010, 5:32 am - IP Logged

That's quite true and is my view these days.  If I buy 2 tickets in the national lottery which starts with 14,000,000 to 1 odds then most sources state that the odds are 7,000,000 to 1.  But really there are 13,999,998 combinations that I haven't played.

Depressing stuff though ey.  Think I'm beginning to prefer scratch cards, at least with the older ones with outstanding high prizes, the chances are much better.  Purely because so many have already been purchased so the odds those times do come down.

sully16's avatar - sharan
                              Ringleader
                              Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #81740
                              October 28, 2009
                              40515 Posts
                              Posted: January 27, 2010, 6:22 am - IP Logged

I wanna be that little red grain of sand.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"