Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 7:21 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

:: So you won the 'Big One'::

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 7 years ago by GYM RICE.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #81843
October 31, 2009
856 Posts
Posted: January 30, 2010, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

or 'the wee dream of Rip Van Ridgerunner'

Hey,, hey,..

Look at this. Think this stuff through

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Banking/P43409.asp?fwlidperf=1

Raven62's avatar - binary
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #17843
    June 28, 2005
    49674 Posts
    Posted: January 30, 2010, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

Hey,, hey,..

You've won the lottery! Now what?

Believe it or not, jackpot winners face both a pile of cash and a mountain of problematic decisions.

View the practical to-do list in the article.

You may want to keep it handy for the next time you strike it rich.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

sully16's avatar - sharan
      Ringleader
      Michigan
      United States
      Member #81740
      October 28, 2009
      40345 Posts
      Posted: January 30, 2010, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

Thats a good one . those are all the things people need to think about before they wake up in ice cream.

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

CA
        United States
        Member #84266
        December 26, 2009
        410 Posts
        Posted: January 31, 2010, 1:53 am - IP Logged

I want to learn more about that special bank account. What do you call it and which banks offer it?? Would it be safe to put it all into a normal savings account?

I don't see myself getting a lawyer or a financial advisor as I have a really clear idea of what I want to invest in. A lawyer will come into play in my later years when I need to decide who will inherit my money and real estate. I will definitely need an accountant to handle my taxes though.

Entertaiment Capital
          United States
          Member #37800
          April 19, 2006
          302 Posts
          Posted: January 31, 2010, 2:04 am - IP Logged

I'll just present the ticket first and see the lawyer and the accountant after that. I am kinda impatient.

United States
            Member #83701
            December 13, 2009
            225 Posts
            Posted: January 31, 2010, 2:49 am - IP Logged

Hey,, hey,..

I'm not certain about the advice of the lump sum payment.   True, once it's in your hands, you may be able to make better investments with it but the annuities start off from a less pessimistic base and is essentially a tax deferred investment account albeit at a modest 4% to 5% interest rate, however that interest is on pre-tax dollars so it would take a much better performing investment with the lump sum to match the long term outcome and in today's economy, 0% government bonds are considered good investments.  Once you have that kind of money, you would be hard pressed to get any significant amount of it into tax deferred investments if you took it as a lump sum.

Also, there are a lot you can do to minimize your tax load given enough time to change your residence so an annuity allows you more time to arrange to avoid paying taxes on the subsequent payments while still providing plenty in the first payment to change your life.

However, with a first really big win, I would probably sign the back of the ticket and rush in to claim simply to minimize the chances of something really stupid happening like losing the ticket or getting it eaten by a dog.   Basically I would want to lock in oh so rare opportunity of financial security whatever the cost in anonymity.

The MM winner from last night was bought in Katy, TX literally down the street from where I bought my non-winning ticket.   I wonder how long it'll be before he shows his face to claim.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: January 31, 2010, 6:58 am - IP Logged

Ain't it funny how the first thing you're advised to do is get a lawyer?

Ain't it funny how it's the lawyers giving you the advice to get a lawyer?

Ain't it funny how lawyers rate among used car salesmen and politicians in public opinion polls?

Nah, it really ain't that funny when you think about it.

I'm a firm believer in reality, common sense, natural law, freedom, liberty, self-determination and high-powered weaponry.

I don't need no stinkin' lawyers.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

New York,
                Panama
                Member #73078
                April 4, 2009
                3490 Posts
                Posted: January 31, 2010, 7:30 am - IP Logged

Ain't it funny how the first thing you're advised to do is get a lawyer?

Ain't it funny how it's the lawyers giving you the advice to get a lawyer?

Ain't it funny how lawyers rate among used car salesmen and politicians in public opinion polls?

Nah, it really ain't that funny when you think about it.

I'm a firm believer in reality, common sense, natural law, freedom, liberty, self-determination and high-powered weaponry.

I don't need no stinkin' lawyers.

Yes rdgrnr, lawyer=liar   It is hard to put trust in one!!!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: January 31, 2010, 7:51 am - IP Logged

That's right rosina. They'll have to stick to ripping off grieving widows like a pack of vultures before they willingly get a nickel out of me.

The majority of our elected officials in Washington are lawyers and you can see how well they're managing that. The country is going bankrupt while at the same time they all become millionaires after getting elected. Coincidence? You decide.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

New York,
                    Panama
                    Member #73078
                    April 4, 2009
                    3490 Posts
                    Posted: January 31, 2010, 8:00 am - IP Logged

That's right rosina. They'll have to stick to ripping off grieving widows like a pack of vultures before they willingly get a nickel out of me.

The majority of our elected officials in Washington are lawyers and you can see how well they're managing that. The country is going bankrupt while at the same time they all become millionaires after getting elected. Coincidence? You decide.

Rd, No coincidence at all!  Just think a Lawyer with your winnings..uuufff!!No No

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      49674 Posts
                      Posted: January 31, 2010, 8:40 am - IP Logged

What are you saying: All the Politicians are Lawyers!

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                        Beautiful Florida
                        United States
                        Member #5709
                        July 18, 2004
                        20108 Posts
                        Posted: January 31, 2010, 9:23 am - IP Logged

What are you saying: All the Politicians are Lawyers!

No, but I think they have the same ciriculum.  Once elected they tend to forget who got them there, and start to think of themselves. They're going to make sure they eat, before they worry about you getting something to eat...

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #17843
                          June 28, 2005
                          49674 Posts
                          Posted: January 31, 2010, 9:49 am - IP Logged

No, but I think they have the same ciriculum.  Once elected they tend to forget who got them there, and start to think of themselves. They're going to make sure they eat, before they worry about you getting something to eat...

What they say and what they do are two different things!

When running for Election the Candidates act on their own.

After being Elected they go to Washington and act as a group.

When in a Group (Mob Rule) the Politicians act in a manner they wouldn't otherwise act if they were acting alone.

New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #17843
                            June 28, 2005
                            49674 Posts
                            Posted: January 31, 2010, 11:10 am - IP Logged

What they say and what they do are two different things!

When running for Election the Candidates act on their own.

After being Elected they go to Washington and act as a group.

When in a Group (Mob Rule) the Politicians act in a manner they wouldn't otherwise act if they were acting alone.

Mob rule refers to: Control or government by a gang, often of violent criminals; also called Ochlocracy.

Ochlocracy is government by mob or a mass of people, or the intimidation of constitutional authorities.

As a term in civics it implies that there is no formal authority whatsoever, not even a commonly accepted view of anarchism, and so disputes are raised, contended and closed by brute force - might makes right (Police State), but only in a very local and temporary way, as another mob or another mood might just as easily sway a decision. It is often associated with demagoguery and the rule of passion over reason. It may be considered an ad hoc democracy.

One of the characteristics of a free and open society is that its people retain the right to peaceably assemble and to petition their government for the redress of grievances.

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
                              Chicago
                              United States
                              Member #70678
                              February 8, 2009
                              889 Posts
                              Posted: January 31, 2010, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

I think I've read this article before if not something very similar to it.

I would take the advise of looking for an accountant as well as financial adviser and lawyer. Of course I wouldn't disclose to them my new found millions and I would choose people I felt very comfortable with. Also I think you can get advise from any of these people for a fee without handing over your money.

And definitely change the phone number as well as address!