Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 7:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

New book: the book of Codes

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Delta Draw.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #81843
October 31, 2009
856 Posts
Posted: February 4, 2010, 2:08 am - IP Logged

By the University of California Press

“understanding the world of hidden messages,…. an illustrated guide to signs, symbols, ciphers and secret languages.”

All about code making and code breaking.* If you think the lotteries are like a coded mystery, or there is a way to break them, this is a fun read. Very well illustrated with historical examples and even the Da Vinci code. Learn about the evolution of numerical systems, the Enigma and the digital age with Alice, Bob and Eve. Check out the new book collection at your library.

* Related to this forum in that what appeared as numerical random nonsense was actually sense and order when the system key was used.

NASHVILLE, TENN
    United States
    Member #33372
    February 20, 2006
    1044 Posts
    Posted: February 10, 2010, 5:05 pm - IP Logged

I went to their web site and could not find the book you reference.  Would you please provide the UPC and the exact title and suthor of the book?

Thanks

United States
      Member #81843
      October 31, 2009
      856 Posts
      Posted: February 11, 2010, 4:26 am - IP Logged

I went to their web site and could not find the book you reference.  Would you please provide the UPC and the exact title and suthor of the book?

Thanks

the book of codes

ISBN 978-0-520-26013-9

upc: 78052 260139  ( covered with tape, hard to read)

university of California press   Paul Lunde, General Editor     www.ucpress.edu

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        49699 Posts
        Posted: February 11, 2010, 1:27 pm - IP Logged

Thanks

The Book of Codes: Understanding the World of Hidden Messages

This illustrated encyclopedia surveys the history and development of code-making and code-breaking in all areas of culture and society from hieroglyphs and runes to DNA, the Zodiac Killer, graffiti, and beyond.

ISBN-10: 0520260139
        ISBN-13: 9780520260139

Published: University of California Press, 09/01/2009 Pages: 279

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Codes-Understanding-Hidden-Messages/dp/0520260139

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
          Member #81843
          October 31, 2009
          856 Posts
          Posted: February 13, 2010, 7:55 am - IP Logged

Thanks for the link there Raven.

I suggest nobody spend too much time on the Zodiac pages, especially if you want to try to decode his three coded messages that have not been solved. It’s like going to see Hannibal Lecture and crawling into his mind. Yea, the challenge is there to see if you can do it but you will have to think like the freak. Likely there are clues but they might only make sense to the insane. It appears he was not consistant in his coding. I believe his signature is the key in some way. By now if he is still alive he might be in his 80’s. Hopefully someone will crack the case.

On a lighter note, I looked at your link and what I like about it is being able to look at a few of the pages.

It’s an easy reader, kind of like a coffee table book you could page through now and then. Some very interesting topics inside with history. My favorite chapter is Encoding the World.

DD