Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Computer Help if ANYONE Can?

Topic closed. 8 replies. Last post 7 years ago by tweak.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
mississippi
United States
Member #34478
March 3, 2006
5903 Posts
Posted: February 9, 2010, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

Not sure if any of you remember me saying I was having Com-puter problems several months back..my daughter was playing on my computer and accidently clicked on D/L automatic updates while she was playing a game...My computer starting running real slow so I hit the POWERSURGE button and turned the computer off..when I tried to turn it back on my windows XP would not reboot..kept giving me an error message..well..I got by for a little while using my ex's..

Here is the Kicker..my nephew has a Dell with windows Vista loaded in it..I borrowed his START-UP disc from his Dell and loaded windows Vista onto my HP Pavillion..it is running it with limited Functionality..it says at the bottom of my computer screen This is not a Genuine Version of Windows Vista..so I cant validate it..so now..my computer will stay online for about 15 minutes then it will automatically shut off..has been doing that for a while and its very aggravating..

DOES ANYONE know if there is a site on the internet..ANYWHERE..that you can download a copy of Windows XP..or can you buy a startup disc somewhere..?

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

Tarzan's avatar - behold
    free2_be virgo
    South Carolina
    United States
    Member #3458
    January 22, 2004
    1165 Posts
    Posted: February 9, 2010, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Hi Caleb, Try the microsoft store at  http://store.microsoft.com or call 1-877-696-7786.Hope this helps!

" No matter what you make,all that you can take is what you give away"

Tarzan's avatar - behold
      free2_be virgo
      South Carolina
      United States
      Member #3458
      January 22, 2004
      1165 Posts
      Posted: February 9, 2010, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

Sorry-I mean Lotterybraker!

" No matter what you make,all that you can take is what you give away"

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
        The Quantum Master
        West Concord, MN
        United States
        Member #21
        December 7, 2001
        3675 Posts
        Posted: February 9, 2010, 4:01 pm - IP Logged

You can pick up an install copy of WinXP Pro at TigerDirect.com; that's where I got mine from, just finished loading 4 systems this past month.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2571830&Sku=M17-7503

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
        Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
        Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
        Knowledge is Beyond Belief
        Wisdom is Not Censored
        Douglas Paul Smallish
        Jehocifer

lotterybraker's avatar - pyramid
          mississippi
          United States
          Member #34478
          March 3, 2006
          5903 Posts
          Posted: February 9, 2010, 4:21 pm - IP Logged

okie dokie..thanks for the Info...

"Attention all Mathematicians: Check your degree at the door because when it comes to whole numbers you are the Amateur"

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
            Tx
            United States
            Member #4570
            May 4, 2004
            5180 Posts
            Posted: February 9, 2010, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

Not sure if any of you remember me saying I was having Com-puter problems several months back..my daughter was playing on my computer and accidently clicked on D/L automatic updates while she was playing a game...My computer starting running real slow so I hit the POWERSURGE button and turned the computer off..when I tried to turn it back on my windows XP would not reboot..kept giving me an error message..well..I got by for a little while using my ex's..

Here is the Kicker..my nephew has a Dell with windows Vista loaded in it..I borrowed his START-UP disc from his Dell and loaded windows Vista onto my HP Pavillion..it is running it with limited Functionality..it says at the bottom of my computer screen This is not a Genuine Version of Windows Vista..so I cant validate it..so now..my computer will stay online for about 15 minutes then it will automatically shut off..has been doing that for a while and its very aggravating..

DOES ANYONE know if there is a site on the internet..ANYWHERE..that you can download a copy of Windows XP..or can you buy a startup disc somewhere..?

I remember.

There were or are, but using a downloaded copy of MS Windows is against the law and it would still need to be validated in some way or the validation by-passed and those things are also illegal.

But as stated, you can buy a legal copy of Windows XP and first try to install Windows XP over Windows XP, but because of the Vista start-up CD installation that you did, that might not work now.

You can always do a "Clean" installation of WinXP, but as you didn't "save" the hardware drivers, you might stil have trouble, maybe or maybe not.

As I said before, you might try to get local help from somebody who knows about these things, maybe a relative or a neighbor.

Otherwise find paid help or buy another Pc.

----------------------

Before I started to use my own Pc, I made sure that I could fix any future software problems.

I learned with my Win98SE Pc.

Now-days, I don't have to worry about any kind of software problems, that is, I worry, but they are only minor problems.

For a real problem, I would have to have hardware problems, but hard-drive failure would not be too big of a problem.

Learning a few things about PCs is not too hard.

I experimented a lot on my very old Win98SE Pc, I made it software-crash very many times, but I learned how to fix it, it was relatively easy.

Main thing to do is to save a copy of the hardware drivers as they might be hard or impossible to find on the Internet.

Otherwise make a copy of the Windows installation in some way.

--------------

After software and or hardware failure(s) it is already too late, be ready while everything is still O.K.

------------------

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
              Tx
              United States
              Member #4570
              May 4, 2004
              5180 Posts
              Posted: February 11, 2010, 1:41 pm - IP Logged

if you don't want to have to deal with activations-validations then maybe you would like to buy a copy of Windows 2000 I read that all you have to do is enter the serial code on it.

It should be as or almost as good as WinXP and also run most softwares.

You can get one with service pack 4 or later download and install SP4, maybe Windows 2000 Professional SP4.

----------------------

There also are free operational systems such as Linux, use Google to find them with.

You could try:

http://www.opensuse.org/en/

A high speed internet connection is needed or instead you could buy a DVD.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

bootleg233's avatar - Lottery-034.jpg
                Tn
                United States
                Member #54963
                September 4, 2007
                1164 Posts
                Posted: February 11, 2010, 1:49 pm - IP Logged

I would have just tryed a restore from a point before the D/L problem! But then hindsight is 20/20.

WHEN IT FEELS THE WHOLE WORLD SUCKS!

RELAX.........IT'S ONLY GRAVITY Big Smile

I think I can I think I can!!!!

tweak's avatar - i307m
                  Hudson County , NJ
                  United States
                  Member #18866
                  July 21, 2005
                  75 Posts
                  Posted: February 12, 2010, 9:13 pm - IP Logged

sometimes your computer has a sticker on the back with a windows xp key. borrow someones disc, and use the key that comes with the cd.
                  then change the key to the one on your computer following this guide
                  http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5034890.html
                  make sure you have someone who knows what they are doing help you out during the process

or use Ubuntu. its fast easy and free, and better then windows in some ways

http://www.ubuntu.com/

"I've never been so sure of anything in my life. I AM GOING TO WIN THIS LOTTERY!
                  Homer... The odds the 380,000,000 to 1...
                  CORRECTION!! 380,000,000 to 50!!"
                  - The Simpsons