Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 1:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Only $5 million increase

Topic closed. 17 replies. Last post 7 years ago by Guru101.

Page 1 of 2
PrintE-mailLink
bobby623's avatar - abstract
San Angelo, Texas
United States
Member #1097
January 31, 2003
1394 Posts
Posted: February 11, 2010, 12:33 pm - IP Logged

I think a lot of folks believed the cross selling of PB and MM tickets would bring about larger increase in game-to-game jackpot amounts.

The increase for next game is $5 million.

Maybe the rush to buy PB  tickets by former MegaMillions only states isn't as large as the experts had hoped.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19819 Posts
    Posted: February 11, 2010, 12:51 pm - IP Logged

Cross selling is likely to hurt either game when its jackpot is the lower one.  Why would players buy tickets for the lower jackpot when they can buy tickets for a larger jackpot with similar odds for the same price?  Unless a player figures his knowledge of one game gives him better odds of winning then he's probably going to buy some Quick Picks for the game with the larger jackpot.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Atlanta
      United States
      Member #33572
      February 22, 2006
      366 Posts
      Posted: February 11, 2010, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

I think the lottery folks are taking into account blizzrd conditions in the northeast.

rcbbuckeye's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
        Texas
        United States
        Member #55889
        October 23, 2007
        5591 Posts
        Posted: February 11, 2010, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

I think the lottery folks are taking into account blizzrd conditions in the northeast.

Agree. Weather is probably affecting sales right now.

Then again. I make sure I get my tics for all the games no matter what the weather is.

CAN'T WIN IF YOU'RE NOT IN

A DOLLAR AND A DREAM (OR $2)

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1953 Posts
          Posted: February 12, 2010, 1:27 am - IP Logged

I think a lot of folks believed the cross selling of PB and MM tickets would bring about larger increase in game-to-game jackpot amounts.

Maybe the rush to buy PB  tickets by former MegaMillions only states isn't as large as the experts had hoped.

There's nothing really out of the ordinary in this. People are snowed in. Mega Millions has better odds and is currently higher. A lot of stuff comes into play. The one thing that should always be considered: the jackpot advertised is an estimate, it's not an exact amount. Always remember that.

Gonna win.Big Smile

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
            Member #13130
            March 30, 2005
            2171 Posts
            Posted: February 12, 2010, 3:28 am - IP Logged

I'll take it. Big SmileBanana

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
            Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Indiana
              United States
              Member #48725
              January 7, 2007
              1953 Posts
              Posted: February 12, 2010, 3:30 am - IP Logged

I'll take it. Big SmileBanana

Oh yeah. Me too. It's mine! Muahahahaha!Big Grin

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19819 Posts
                Posted: February 12, 2010, 5:59 pm - IP Logged

People may play because of the jackpots size but facts are jackpots are only won in about 12% of the drawings. Second prizes of $200K and $250K both fixed amounts regardless of jackpots sizes are won most often.

Evil Looking       

diamondpalace's avatar - Untitled 2.jpg
                  Dallas, TX
                  United States
                  Member #60284
                  April 12, 2008
                  3856 Posts
                  Posted: February 12, 2010, 6:15 pm - IP Logged

Be optimistic. It will increase when the weather permits people to get out of the house.

New Jersey
                    United States
                    Member #21206
                    September 4, 2005
                    949 Posts
                    Posted: February 12, 2010, 10:38 pm - IP Logged

Actually, with the artificially inflated "20 million" jackpot, even with Powerball's really really really phony annuity calculation, Powerball sales seldom cover the cash jackpot on the first draw.

One will not really see the effect of a larger population pool until third or fourth draws.

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                      Member #32537
                      February 12, 2006
                      698 Posts
                      Posted: February 13, 2010, 3:04 am - IP Logged

agreed with everyone else

you cant really feel the effects of large pop on small jackpots,  people just dont play much when its low!

think of it like a plane

their just taking off the run way when their below say 50m range, far as speed it can GO at

or a rocket blasting off to space, the first part"ground takeoff  is always  the hardest,slowest, 

we just got a engine boost in speed is all

, you wont notice it much , to its a little high up, then you WILL notice how much faster it is

just wait to our first 200m or 300m range pb/mm jackpot, then you see just how much faster  it can "blast off" into space!

Indiana
                        United States
                        Member #48725
                        January 7, 2007
                        1953 Posts
                        Posted: February 14, 2010, 3:12 am - IP Logged

Check that out. 2nd jump was from $25 million to $40 million. That is definitely higher than what it was before. Looks like $30-$32 million was very common for 2nd jump. That's a pretty big jump.

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19819 Posts
                          Posted: February 14, 2010, 9:20 am - IP Logged

Check that out. 2nd jump was from $25 million to $40 million. That is definitely higher than what it was before. Looks like $30-$32 million was very common for 2nd jump. That's a pretty big jump.

If you think that was a big jump, wait until MM states California and Ohio start selling PowerBall tickets.

Evil Looking       

Morrison, IL
                            United States
                            Member #4657
                            May 13, 2004
                            1884 Posts
                            Posted: February 14, 2010, 11:33 am - IP Logged

Yes, it looks like the Powerball cash jackpot is rolling just as fast as the Mega Millions cash jackpot now.  The reason Mega's looked faster on the second roll is because Mega's cash jackpot starts lower than Powerball's, even with Powerball's inflated annuity.

---

joshuacloak's avatar - Money Swim-uncle-scrooge-mcduck-35997717-677-518.jpg

United States
                              Member #32537
                              February 12, 2006
                              698 Posts
                              Posted: February 14, 2010, 12:21 pm - IP Logged

intresting thing about powerball inflated annuity,

mm catchs up ON THE 2ND roll!

i give you the lastest cash amount for pb first 2 draws vs mm

pb $9.9 Million

pb $12.3 Million

mm $7 Million

mm $12 Million

as you can see mega millions is all but catched up by the 2nd draw

on the 3rd roll, MM just got the  lead and is not letting pb beat it ever again in cash

, so mm= better jackpots  overall

going in deeper into it:

pb inflated annuity really starts getting werid at the high 200m to 300m  range compared to MM at same levels

highest jackpot of 2009 for powerball was "augest 19,2009  its annuity 260m, ITS CASH was $129,500,000

take mm at SAME month last year just atfer the  high powerball got won

Mega Millions Jackpot for Aug. 25, 2009  annuity was 252m  yet its cash was $159,000,000!

powerball inflated annuity is really "bluff", mega millions crushs it in cash value

let me put it this way, if mm jackpot is in the high 300s, you need a high 400 million pb jackpot just to match the cash of mega millions

i rather have  A high MM jackpot any day of the week then a high powerball jackpot of same level

, sense mega millions offer the best cash jackpots hands Down

plus powerball has that stupid record jackpot cap their "inflated annuity" triggers for christ sakes!

mm cash jackpot records will would be laughing all the way to the bank