Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Winning the Jackpot and taxes.

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 7 years ago by joshuacloak.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
CA
United States
Member #84266
December 26, 2009
410 Posts
Posted: February 18, 2010, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

So what kind of taxes do you have to deal with after winning the jackpot? They already take 25% even before you get the money. As far as doing your tax return for the previous year you obviously have to list your initial winnings and any interest you earned as income. Say you are unemployed as well. My question is, would you get a refund or would you have to pay even more tax?? You will also be in the highest tax bracket for that year but will it go down for the next year? I guess that would depend on how much interest you earned for the next year?

The lottery will send you a W2 right?

If you are good with numbers do you really need a tax expert/ CPA?

United States
    Member #61232
    May 16, 2008
    126 Posts
    Posted: February 18, 2010, 7:45 pm - IP Logged

I believe the highest IRS tax rate is 35%.  But you also can't forget the state and local taxes.  When it's all said and done you can expect to pay 40-50% in taxes on your winnings.  

You can do the tax paperwork yourself but you better make sure you know what your doing.  Personally, I'd hire an accountant/tax attorney to complete my taxes.  However, I'd still educate myself on the subject just to know how to figure out if I'm being taken advantage of

If you do it yourself you better make sure you know what your doing.

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
      Indiana
      United States
      Member #48725
      January 7, 2007
      1953 Posts
      Posted: February 18, 2010, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

I believe the highest IRS tax rate is 35%.  But you also can't forget the state and local taxes.  When it's all said and done you can expect to pay 40-50% in taxes on your winnings.  

You can do the tax paperwork yourself but you better make sure you know what your doing.  Personally, I'd hire an accountant/tax attorney to complete my taxes.  However, I'd still educate myself on the subject just to know how to figure out if I'm being taken advantage of

If you do it yourself you better make sure you know what your doing.

I'd say at least 35%. It all depends on where you live and your current situation.

Gonna win.Big Smile

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
        Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
        United States
        Member #73904
        April 28, 2009
        14903 Posts
        Posted: February 18, 2010, 10:09 pm - IP Logged

I love how we've come to accept this robbery as part of life.

And from our employees no less.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

Raven62's avatar - binary
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #17843
          June 28, 2005
          49642 Posts
          Posted: February 18, 2010, 10:17 pm - IP Logged

So what kind of taxes do you have to deal with after winning the jackpot? They already take 25% even before you get the money. As far as doing your tax return for the previous year you obviously have to list your initial winnings and any interest you earned as income. Say you are unemployed as well. My question is, would you get a refund or would you have to pay even more tax?? You will also be in the highest tax bracket for that year but will it go down for the next year? I guess that would depend on how much interest you earned for the next year?

People go to Tax Experts because they know the Tax Laws.

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Raven62's avatar - binary
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #17843
            June 28, 2005
            49642 Posts
            Posted: February 18, 2010, 10:21 pm - IP Logged

I love how we've come to accept this robbery as part of life.

And from our employees no less.

It's a Myth: You're their Slave!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: February 18, 2010, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

It's a Myth: You're their Slave!

Better believe it.

Time for the slaves to revolt this comin November too.

--Edmund Burke

Entertaiment Capital
                United States
                Member #37800
                April 19, 2006
                302 Posts
                Posted: February 19, 2010, 1:32 am - IP Logged

I only have to pay federal tax. California doesn't charge state tax for lottery winnings.

Funny things is that the overall tax percentage for the United States is lower than other developed nations. Still, they charge higher tax for lotteries. In Europe, as you know, you don't pay tax for jackpot winnings.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                  United States
                  Member #73904
                  April 28, 2009
                  14903 Posts
                  Posted: February 19, 2010, 1:44 am - IP Logged

I only have to pay federal tax. California doesn't charge state tax for lottery winnings.

Funny things is that the overall tax percentage for the United States is lower than other developed nations. Still, they charge higher tax for lotteries. In Europe, as you know, you don't pay tax for jackpot winnings.

High taxes stifle creativity, production, entreprenurial risk taking and everything else needed to excel or even compete in the world market.

We need tax cuts but we won't be getting any in the near future. In fact the current administration is going to let the Bush tax cuts expire, which in effect will be raising taxes. We're on the highway to hell til 2012. Buckle up, it's gonna be a rough ride.

--Edmund Burke

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                    adelaide sa
                    Australia
                    Member #37136
                    April 11, 2006
                    3300 Posts
                    Posted: February 19, 2010, 1:50 am - IP Logged

but it gives  nice excuse for not giving any handouts " sorry cant afford to give away money, i have a huuuuuge tax bill coming. "

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

United States
                      Member #83701
                      December 13, 2009
                      225 Posts
                      Posted: February 19, 2010, 1:59 am - IP Logged

Keep in mind that the tax bracket you'll be in will be much higher than 25% so the with holdings will not cover your taxes.   You can be fairly certain that you will have to pay taxes and a lot of taxes at that.

The entire concept of taxation has traditionally been based on 50%.   It's only legislative exceptions that makes the lowest tax bracket 17%.   Even if the millions and millions that a jackpot win would be placed you in the 50% tax bracket, you would not be paying 50% just close to it because you would still be paying only 17% for the first tax bracket and so on up to the top tax bracket.   The tax bracket is simply the marginal tax rate on which your next dollar is to be taxed at.

If you take a good hard look at the tax implication than a cash value option is pretty much the wrong way to take a jackpot prize.   An annuity is essentially a tax deferred investment at about 5% interest rate which may not seem like much but with money like that, you won't have very many options at getting tax deferred investments and after tax investments will have to do much better than 5% in order to match tax deferred growth, also by spreading out the tax load over multiple years you get the advantage of the lower tax brackets each year even though each year's income is enough to still put you into the top tax bracket.   Besides, if you choose the annuity, you can still change your mind and take the cash value option in most cases but not vice versa so when you buy a ticket, you should always select the annual payments even if you think you may want the money up front.

They give you a W2-G with the check, it's actually printed on the same sheet of paper as the check and you just detach the check from the W2-G.   I've only won $1,000 but I've kept a scanned image of the W2-G and the check, I'm planning on framing a scan of the check.

savagegoose's avatar - ProfilePho
                        adelaide sa
                        Australia
                        Member #37136
                        April 11, 2006
                        3300 Posts
                        Posted: February 19, 2010, 2:24 am - IP Logged

yeah tax advantage of the annuity, i never thought of that. also taking an annuity would gove you practice on living with new wealth. by time you've blown 10 years you might actually start figuring how to liven on the amount you have coming in, without blowing more than you can afford.

2014 = -1016; 2015= -1409; 2016 JAN = -106; FEB= -81; MAR= -131; APR= - 87: MAY= -91; JUN= -39; JUL=-134; AUG= -124; SEP = -123; OCT= -84  NOV=- 73 TOT= -3498

keno historic = -2291 ; 2015= -603; 2016= JAN=-32, FEB= +12 , MAR= -86, APR = -77. MAY= -48, JUN= -29, JUL=-71; AUG = -52; SEPT= -43; OCT = +56 NOV = -33 TOT= -3297

sully16's avatar - sharan
                          Ringleader
                          Michigan
                          United States
                          Member #81740
                          October 28, 2009
                          40296 Posts
                          Posted: February 19, 2010, 9:30 am - IP Logged

enough said

Did you exchange a walk on part in the war ?

For a lead role in a cage?

From Pink Floyd's " Wish you were here"

CA
                            United States
                            Member #84266
                            December 26, 2009
                            410 Posts
                            Posted: February 19, 2010, 3:53 pm - IP Logged

Keep in mind that the tax bracket you'll be in will be much higher than 25% so the with holdings will not cover your taxes.   You can be fairly certain that you will have to pay taxes and a lot of taxes at that.

The entire concept of taxation has traditionally been based on 50%.   It's only legislative exceptions that makes the lowest tax bracket 17%.   Even if the millions and millions that a jackpot win would be placed you in the 50% tax bracket, you would not be paying 50% just close to it because you would still be paying only 17% for the first tax bracket and so on up to the top tax bracket.   The tax bracket is simply the marginal tax rate on which your next dollar is to be taxed at.

If you take a good hard look at the tax implication than a cash value option is pretty much the wrong way to take a jackpot prize.   An annuity is essentially a tax deferred investment at about 5% interest rate which may not seem like much but with money like that, you won't have very many options at getting tax deferred investments and after tax investments will have to do much better than 5% in order to match tax deferred growth, also by spreading out the tax load over multiple years you get the advantage of the lower tax brackets each year even though each year's income is enough to still put you into the top tax bracket.   Besides, if you choose the annuity, you can still change your mind and take the cash value option in most cases but not vice versa so when you buy a ticket, you should always select the annual payments even if you think you may want the money up front.

They give you a W2-G with the check, it's actually printed on the same sheet of paper as the check and you just detach the check from the W2-G.   I've only won $1,000 but I've kept a scanned image of the W2-G and the check, I'm planning on framing a scan of the check.

What I'm saying is you'll only be in the highest bracket only for the year that you win right? Say I win this year and when I file in 2011 I list the winnings and interest (if any) as income. If I am unemployed during 2011 and didn't earn interest, I wouldn't have to file in 2012.

United States
                              Member #61232
                              May 16, 2008
                              126 Posts
                              Posted: February 19, 2010, 10:32 pm - IP Logged

What I'm saying is you'll only be in the highest bracket only for the year that you win right? Say I win this year and when I file in 2011 I list the winnings and interest (if any) as income. If I am unemployed during 2011 and didn't earn interest, I wouldn't have to file in 2012.

Correct.  No earnings, no interest = No taxes

Where are you planning to put all that cash?  I think you'll need a bigger mattress.