Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 3:19 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Numbers you'd complain about?

Topic closed. 10 replies. Last post 7 years ago by fja.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
NY
United States
Member #23835
October 16, 2005
3475 Posts
Posted: March 1, 2010, 3:39 am - IP Logged

For those of you who don't like QP's that  give you consecutive numbers or numbers with a narrow range, here are the results from Saturday 's NY lotto drawing:   3 - 4 - 5 - 30 - 40 - 43 and  BONUS NUMBER 1

Matching all 6 would have paid $18.5 million (annuity) and any 5 plus the bonus would have paid $253,000, but nobody won either prize level.

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
    Member #91
    January 19, 2002
    11936 Posts
    Posted: March 1, 2010, 6:06 am - IP Logged

Hell. I'd take a Mega Million Ticket whose first number was in the 50's.   That would eliminate a lot of possible combinations....

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

butch2030's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
      The KEY ingredient is Combos & Patterns
      Elgin, IL
      United States
      Member #68867
      January 1, 2009
      1221 Posts
      Posted: March 1, 2010, 10:56 am - IP Logged

For those of you who don't like QP's that  give you consecutive numbers or numbers with a narrow range, here are the results from Saturday 's NY lotto drawing:   3 - 4 - 5 - 30 - 40 - 43 and  BONUS NUMBER 1

Matching all 6 would have paid $18.5 million (annuity) and any 5 plus the bonus would have paid $253,000, but nobody won either prize level.

I don't like QP's, but that is my own personal feeling.  As you stated above "nobody won either prize level"; therefore no one had a winning ticket QP or otherwise.  So what is your point, as it did not come in as a QP.  I play consecutive numbers at times, but I would never play all 5 or 6 numbers consecutively.  The odds would be against me.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19831 Posts
        Posted: March 1, 2010, 11:24 am - IP Logged

I don't like QP's, but that is my own personal feeling.  As you stated above "nobody won either prize level"; therefore no one had a winning ticket QP or otherwise.  So what is your point, as it did not come in as a QP.  I play consecutive numbers at times, but I would never play all 5 or 6 numbers consecutively.  The odds would be against me.

Sounds like a case is being made for picking your own numbers.  It's more likely a set of numbers like those would have been picked by someone using months and years of birth than being picked randomly by a terminal. 

Ever noticed when someone wins with a personal pick, they are the only winners?  There are some winning numbers that even a terminal won't pick on its own.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Winlotta's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
          Member #60014
          April 3, 2008
          735 Posts
          Posted: March 1, 2010, 11:40 am - IP Logged

Sounds like a case is being made for picking your own numbers.  It's more likely a set of numbers like those would have been picked by someone using months and years of birth than being picked randomly by a terminal. 

Ever noticed when someone wins with a personal pick, they are the only winners?  There are some winning numbers that even a terminal won't pick on its own.

Well said.       I Agree!

Patriot

`|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|`

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19831 Posts
            Posted: March 1, 2010, 11:56 am - IP Logged

Hell. I'd take a Mega Million Ticket whose first number was in the 50's.   That would eliminate a lot of possible combinations....

5/7 + 1/46 = 966 possible combinations

That would have limited you to 966 possible combinations and these wins.

10/06/09 - 09 33 51 53 56    +39
             10/02/09 - 15 24 51 53 55    +11
             11/21/08 - 01 22 52 53 56    +45
             08/21/07 - 08 38 54 55 56    +02
             08/07/07 - 36 41 50 55 56    +09
             11/10/06 - 11 42 52 53 55    +28
             09/01/06 - 05 06 51 53 55    +12
             01/31/06 - 01 35 53 54 56    +44

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NY
              United States
              Member #23835
              October 16, 2005
              3475 Posts
              Posted: March 2, 2010, 12:12 am - IP Logged

I hope I'm not bursting your bubble, but the odds are against you no matter what numbers you play. Which is related to my point. We see a lot of complaints about the numbers on QP's because people look at them and think it's a combination that's unlikely, weird, all even, all odd, all low, all high, too narrow a range, or whatever. If somebody here had bought a QP and gotten those numbers there's a good chance we would have seen a post about what a lousy set of numbers it was. The reality is that every combination has the same chance of being drawn, so your chances of winning are the same regardless of what combination you play.

That said, there is one good reason for not playing all consecutive numbers, especially starting at 1 or ending with the highest number in a matrix. If you did happen to win playing those numbers you'd be sharing your prize with thousands of other people. 13,14,15,16,17,18 isn't as popular as 1,2,3,4,5,6, but I'd be surprised if it isn't played by hundreds of people.

Norfolk,VA
                United States
                Member #83225
                December 2, 2009
                757 Posts
                Posted: March 2, 2010, 12:25 am - IP Logged

''There are some winning numbers that even a terminal won't pick on its own.''

I Agree!you couldnt have said it any better. right on point.....

''YOU CAN PAY FOR SCHOOL BUT, YOU CAN'T BUY CLASS''Thumbs Up

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                  West Side of Sunny Florida
                  United States
                  Member #55048
                  September 8, 2007
                  3371 Posts
                  Posted: March 10, 2010, 4:26 am - IP Logged

What about last nights Mega....

14 16 18 19 29 Mega 16...

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

bashley572's avatar - starwars14
                    West Side of Sunny Florida
                    United States
                    Member #55048
                    September 8, 2007
                    3371 Posts
                    Posted: March 12, 2010, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

What about last nights Mega....

14 16 18 19 29 Mega 16...

An of course I end up with these as a QP for tonights Mega 

5 15 25 30 53 - Mega 18

Money won is twice as good as money earned!

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                      Member #91
                      January 19, 2002
                      11936 Posts
                      Posted: March 13, 2010, 10:38 am - IP Logged

An of course I end up with these as a QP for tonights Mega 

5 15 25 30 53 - Mega 18

Looks like a hit to me!!

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields