Welcome Guest
You last visited January 23, 2017, 11:43 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Advance Play or Not?

Topic closed. 14 replies. Last post 7 years ago by rdgrnr.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink
lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
CA
United States
Member #57222
December 23, 2007
587 Posts
Posted: March 7, 2010, 10:20 am - IP Logged

After reading Dollar's vegas thread I was wondering about advance plays.  Since I play the same number every week, I usually play the 5 advance plays for Fantasy Five but that is mainly just to get the mail in 2nd chance ticket.

But I was thinking since I play the same numbers in Super lotto plus why don't I just get the advance play to save time.  But here's my dilema,  am I not just setting myself to be a loser?  I mean buying advance plays is like saying "I know I'm not going to win the first 1-19 ( or whatever) times  but the last one will be a winner!

I have a reason why i play fantasy advance 5 plays,  but  playing an advance SLP ( except for travel, like dollar) doesn't seem to be the best choice.

United States
    Member #83701
    December 13, 2009
    225 Posts
    Posted: March 7, 2010, 10:40 am - IP Logged

After reading Dollar's vegas thread I was wondering about advance plays.  Since I play the same number every week, I usually play the 5 advance plays for Fantasy Five but that is mainly just to get the mail in 2nd chance ticket.

But I was thinking since I play the same numbers in Super lotto plus why don't I just get the advance play to save time.  But here's my dilema,  am I not just setting myself to be a loser?  I mean buying advance plays is like saying "I know I'm not going to win the first 1-19 ( or whatever) times  but the last one will be a winner!

I have a reason why i play fantasy advance 5 plays,  but  playing an advance SLP ( except for travel, like dollar) doesn't seem to be the best choice.

Technically speaking, although it would be very unlikely, a multiplay ticket could win each and every draw so no you're not setting yourself up to be a loser any more than buying the tickets for each draw does anyways.   Besides, if you did win a jackpot then what does the extra few dollars matter.

Monkey Butt, USA
      United States
      Member #54569
      August 23, 2007
      1124 Posts
      Posted: March 7, 2010, 10:41 am - IP Logged

You know your numbers are going to hit you just don't know which drawing it will happen, so you cover a specific time period by using the advance play. Especially when you're playing a set of strong hunch numbers. I've done this a few times and it's paid off for me.

Raven62's avatar - binary
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #17843
        June 28, 2005
        51227 Posts
        Posted: March 7, 2010, 10:42 am - IP Logged

Most people find it easier to buy a Lottery Ticket ($1) 20 times than to buy a Lottery Ticket for 20 Plays ($20)!

When faced with a mountain: I will not quit!
        I will keep on striving until I climb over the mountain,
        Find a pass through the mountain, tunnel underneath the mountain,
        Or simply stay and turn the mountain into a gold mine!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

ca-dreamin*'s avatar - Lottery-065.jpg
          Chicago
          United States
          Member #70678
          February 8, 2009
          889 Posts
          Posted: March 7, 2010, 11:14 am - IP Logged

When I lived in CA  I would also play Fantasy Five 1 line for 5 plays. Not only did I want to spread out my plays, but like you I wanted to get in on the second chance drawing.

For me.......I wouldn't buy advance plays for SLP  because I DON'T play the same numbers.

For you.........since you play the same numbers why not? You could always buy 1 ticket for one week or enough advance plays to cover 2 weeks. There's no reason why you'd have to play for the next month or 2 on one ticket.

If you really believe(or start to believe) buying advance tickets is setting yourself up to lose than don't do it. You want to stay on the positive side!

United States
            Member #83701
            December 13, 2009
            225 Posts
            Posted: March 7, 2010, 11:25 am - IP Logged

Most people find it easier to buy a Lottery Ticket ($1) 20 times than to buy a Lottery Ticket for 20 Plays ($20)!

I think this brings up the question about the pros and cons of buying a ticket for each draw or using all the money on one draw.   Playing the spread on one draw means you're buying better odds but only marginally but your tickets are also exclusive of each other i.e.: one ticket winning precludes the others from winning and there's the possibility that your chosen numbers will hit on a draw that you do not play.   Buying a ticket for each draw means that there's the possibility of all of them hitting but the odds are worse.

Of course, taking the save it up for one draw to an extreme would be to simply save all the money you would've spent for no draws and in the long run, this pays much better than the lottery.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
              United States
              Member #73904
              April 28, 2009
              14903 Posts
              Posted: March 7, 2010, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

I buy for the whole month on the first of every month from 2 states.

Saves me a lot of driving and the risk of missing a draw due to forgetting or being too lazy or tired to go out. I play the same numbers on all games plus quick picks.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke

New Jersey
                United States
                Member #17843
                June 28, 2005
                51227 Posts
                Posted: March 7, 2010, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

I think this brings up the question about the pros and cons of buying a ticket for each draw or using all the money on one draw.   Playing the spread on one draw means you're buying better odds but only marginally but your tickets are also exclusive of each other i.e.: one ticket winning precludes the others from winning and there's the possibility that your chosen numbers will hit on a draw that you do not play.   Buying a ticket for each draw means that there's the possibility of all of them hitting but the odds are worse.

Of course, taking the save it up for one draw to an extreme would be to simply save all the money you would've spent for no draws and in the long run, this pays much better than the lottery.

But that's not the topic of the thread: The Topic is Buy your Ticket Daily ($1 per Day for 20 Days) or buy Advanced Play Ticket ($20 all at once)...

New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #17843
                  June 28, 2005
                  51227 Posts
                  Posted: March 7, 2010, 2:03 pm - IP Logged

I buy for the whole month on the first of every month from 2 states.

Saves me a lot of driving and the risk of missing a draw due to forgetting or being too lazy or tired to go out. I play the same numbers on all games plus quick picks.

Thumbs Up Sorta like do I buy JD one Bottle at a time or do I buy JD one case at a time! LOL!

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
                    Idaho
                    United States
                    Member #56506
                    November 21, 2007
                    6537 Posts
                    Posted: March 7, 2010, 2:25 pm - IP Logged

If you play the same numbers for SLP without making any changes, then I don't see anything wrong with getting advance plays.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."

New York,
                      Panama
                      Member #73078
                      April 4, 2009
                      3490 Posts
                      Posted: March 7, 2010, 5:23 pm - IP Logged

"Stay and turn the mountain into a gold mine!" Raven62, Yes, after I have placed some powerful explosives and blasted it to kingdom come...then if I find gold nuggets i'll turn it into a Gold farm!  Either way that Mountain is history! I think I have too much of my Dad in me!

forget what "they" say about youWhat you say about you?...

Now, does it count??

*Jr$ina

lottocalgal's avatar - Lottery-043.jpg
                        CA
                        United States
                        Member #57222
                        December 23, 2007
                        587 Posts
                        Posted: March 7, 2010, 6:47 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for all your responses family,

I thought maybe I could play advance to save time.  Cause sometimes I REALLY don't feel like stopping by the store,  but since I play the same numbers, I don't have that option.   Twice I have hit 3 of 5 on days where i decided to just " go ahead and play" and not give in to laziness.   Maybe  the $20 advance is the way to go.  I just have to remember not the let the expiration laps.

lotteryfan's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                          Toronto, Ontario
                          Canada
                          Member #87049
                          February 16, 2010
                          11 Posts
                          Posted: March 7, 2010, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

There's a guy in Canada named James Xuereb that had been playing Lotto 649 for 30 years. He had no big wins. Then he signed up for "Lotto Advance", a one year subscription with his chosen numbers. Guess what? He won on the very first draw of his lotto advance subscription. That was in March of 2009. Ironic, isn't it?

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                            Zeta Reticuli Star System
                            United States
                            Member #30470
                            January 17, 2006
                            10392 Posts
                            Posted: March 8, 2010, 12:32 am - IP Logged

Before Illinois got Powerball we would have to go to Missouri to play it, so play advance play when we did.

Now that we can play both PB and MM I usually don't play advance play any more, not even for Little Lotto. nothing but pure superstition here, but it sure seems when I play advance play I don't hit a thing.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

rdgrnr's avatar - walt
                              Way back up in them dadgum hills, son!
                              United States
                              Member #73904
                              April 28, 2009
                              14903 Posts
                              Posted: March 10, 2010, 8:01 am - IP Logged

Thumbs Up Sorta like do I buy JD one Bottle at a time or do I buy JD one case at a time! LOL!

Yeah, I was thinkin' about buying by the case but the lil woman would never get out of the holler then. Strangely, she likes seeing other human beings on occasion - a habit I can do just fine without. She even likes to engage them in conversation while I don't particularly care to hear people talk, especially if they expect me to listen. I'm fine with my dogs, trees, deer, turkeys and whiskey. I heard enough talkin' to last me a lifetime before I retired.

I bought a couple extra bottles on my last run down the mountain though - Gentleman Jack and Single Barrel Jack (94 Proof, yee haa!). I've never tried either of those before.

I'm happier than a fat rat in a cheese house.

"The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

--Edmund Burke