Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 11:27 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lets get a better understanding of what actually wins! Mega Millions

Topic closed. 4 replies. Last post 7 years ago by ThatScaryChick.

Page 1 of 1
PrintE-mailLink

On Mega Millions - Fellow Posters - when you win on Mega Millions is it on...

Quick Pick with one line ONLY on ticket [ 3 ]  [15.79%]
Quick Pick Tickets with a two lines ONLY on ticket [ 1 ]  [5.26%]
Quick Pick with three lines ONLY on ticket [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Quick Pick with four lines ONLY on ticket [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Quick Pick with five lines ONLY on ticket [ 8 ]  [42.11%]
Own numbers played on one ticket without Q.Picks [ 7 ]  [36.84%]
Total Valid Votes [ 19 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  
New York
United States
Member #79163
August 28, 2009
17 Posts
Posted: March 13, 2010, 1:08 am - IP Logged

First post is for Powerball - This one is for Mega Millions

Hello fellow Lottery Post members,

I posted the above poll to see if fellow posters can help shed some light on the poll.  This information has always bothered me - Is it better to buy single tickets with one line each - or is there any correlation between the timing mechanism in the lottery machine and the number it generates that makes the "randomness" and combination of the numbers any "more likely" if any correlation can be found.

Although we all know it has to do with the numbers picked - there may be a correlation here if enough people can comment on their past experiences.

Also, some state lotteries offer things such as buy 5 quick pick ON THE SAME TICKET and get one free or some sort of promotion.  I know that the only reason that is done is to get the person who is willing to purchase one or two quick picks to put in the extra money to get a few more - which will raise the lottery revenue.  However, it wouldnt surprise me if the lottery retailer does this becuase they know that 5 lines of Quick Pick on the same ticket RARELY generates winning combinations.  Or else why would they limit such and mandate that all be on 1 ticket.  If they really wanted to stick to revenue then they wouldnt need to mandate that it should all be on one ticket - but instead all ordered at the same time.  I hope everyone understands my point.

Please help out here.  Hopefully it will be a successful post that will lead in one direction which may be a correlation.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19823 Posts
    Posted: March 13, 2010, 11:41 am - IP Logged

All my winnings have been with my own numbers because I only play numbers I pick.  I remember reading an article about commonality of MegaMillions winning numbers which might be of interest to you but I've forgotten where I saw it.

Ohio has never had a promotion to give away free MM tickets, the jackpot has always been promotion enough but they do offer the option of playing the "kicker" game which can only be played if you buy a MM ticket with 1-5 lines.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Ohio
      United States
      Member #88121
      March 10, 2010
      7 Posts
      Posted: March 13, 2010, 11:44 am - IP Logged

All my winnings have been computer picks with 5 lines (& a kicker) on each ticket.  Got a 3+mega ball a couple weeks ago...that was nice.  :)

San Diego, CA
        United States
        Member #58386
        February 12, 2008
        287 Posts
        Posted: March 13, 2010, 3:26 pm - IP Logged

First post is for Powerball - This one is for Mega Millions

Hello fellow Lottery Post members,

I posted the above poll to see if fellow posters can help shed some light on the poll.  This information has always bothered me - Is it better to buy single tickets with one line each - or is there any correlation between the timing mechanism in the lottery machine and the number it generates that makes the "randomness" and combination of the numbers any "more likely" if any correlation can be found.

Although we all know it has to do with the numbers picked - there may be a correlation here if enough people can comment on their past experiences.

Also, some state lotteries offer things such as buy 5 quick pick ON THE SAME TICKET and get one free or some sort of promotion.  I know that the only reason that is done is to get the person who is willing to purchase one or two quick picks to put in the extra money to get a few more - which will raise the lottery revenue.  However, it wouldnt surprise me if the lottery retailer does this becuase they know that 5 lines of Quick Pick on the same ticket RARELY generates winning combinations.  Or else why would they limit such and mandate that all be on 1 ticket.  If they really wanted to stick to revenue then they wouldnt need to mandate that it should all be on one ticket - but instead all ordered at the same time.  I hope everyone understands my point.

Please help out here.  Hopefully it will be a successful post that will lead in one direction which may be a correlation.

I believe you are reading too much into it. 

They don't believe there is a difference between buing 5 plays on one ticket, and 3 plays on one and 2 on another.   Why not just do it the easiest way?

ThatScaryChick's avatar - x1MqPuM
          Idaho
          United States
          Member #56506
          November 21, 2007
          6537 Posts
          Posted: March 14, 2010, 12:23 am - IP Logged

My answer can go for both of your threads this one and the powerball one, but I've won more when I've chosen my own numbers and they have had muiltiple lines. Usually, three or four lines. However, I don't think how many lines I play has any bearing on if I win or not.

"No one remembers the person who almost climbed the mountain, only the person who eventually gets to the top."